Ford Transit Connect Forum

EXTERIOR CARE

JWWOODY

I know that the forum page says Flex, but we can use it for our TC'S. Since I live on the coast (salt air) and I have a roof rack I can't get my wagon into the garage, so exterior maintenance is a must. I like my cars clean, waxed, and showroom new, so I spend time keeping them that way. I use Meguires NXT Tech Wax on the exterior paint. I probably wax it 6 times a year, (for me its therapy). On the black plastic trim and tires I use Eagle One gel no drip tire shine applied with a sponge pad to keep it neat and off the paint. I wash the wagon frequently with Meguire's car wash, but I usually do the engine compartment, wheel wells and definately the wheels with simple green first. A quick dry with a terry towell or chamois after wash. I would like to hear if you think there are better or more efficient products that you use.

WOODY

I know that the forum page says Flex, but we can use it for our TC'S. Since I live on the coast (salt air) and I have a roof rack I can't get my wagon into the garage, so exterior maintenance is a must. I like my cars clean, waxed, and showroom new, so I spend time keeping them that way. I use Meguires NXT Tech Wax on the exterior paint. I probably wax it 6 times a year, (for me its therapy). On the black plastic trim and tires I use Eagle One gel no drip tire shine applied with a sponge pad to keep it neat and off the paint. I wash the wagon frequently with Meguire's car wash, but I usually do the engine compartment, wheel wells and definately the wheels with simple green first. A quick dry with a terry towell or chamois after wash. I would like to hear if you think there are better or more efficient products that you use.

WOODY

I have had my TC only for a couple of weeks and have yet to get into a cleaning routine like I had with my previous ride ( Mini Cooper S ) .I was really anal about appearance inside and out .

All of my cleaning supplies were ordered off the web . Two of the products I used for Engine and wheel well cleaning were MEGUIAR`S Detailer Series , Safe D - Greaser and Hyper Dressing .

Both come in 1 Gal jugs and are diluted to your personal requirements. Mine are like 6 years old and I`m down to half ,so you won`t be buying it every month . !!! Warning !!! it is not cheap but

IMHO is well worth it for ease of use and the superior results obtained.

Also for treating the exterior plastic trim I used a product called BLACK WOW It also treats coloured unpainted plastic trim just as well as black though . It is only available on-line so maybe just google it to obtain .

I hope these sugestions help you to easily maintain the looks of your TC .

Keith

• 11 months later...

WOW! from MINI Cooper S to Transit Connect ?!?!

nice move, Steering and throttle responce a little slower ?

I'm thinking of adding a FIAT 500 to compliment my TC.

Yes WOW :speedie: but needs change and after a few close call lessons have changed my route to work . :shrug:

but all is cool ,did the sebring bit and all that . Now have a set of wheels that earns me $$ most times .

I decided to try Turtlewax ICE on my TC. I know it's not wax, but according to my online research the synthetics are better at blocking UV and they last longer. A big advantage, for me, is that ICE goes on clear and stays clear. So it works on black plastic just as well as Back To Black. Another big advantage -- it took less than two hours to apply and buff ICE.

I also use Simple Green on my engines. A 50/50 mix works great.

• 10 months later...

I was talking with a body and fender repair shop foreman the other day, and asked him about keeping the exterior rubber trim from turning white. Like the wheel well trim and the horizontal piece that runs along the side panels. He told me not to use Armoral as it will speed up the deterioration of rubber and plastic parts. He mentioned a plastic specific coating. I believe Stoner is the brand name.

303 Aerospace protectant is the product to use on plastic, rubber, vinyl, etc. It's a great tire UV blocker/protectant and the only one that works. NOT a "dressing" like ArmourAll junk and all the others that contain petroleum distillates. Sure it makes them shiney but NOT what you want to use.

http://www.303produc...-protectant.cfm

http://www.303produc...ation_guide.htm

I use it on our RV tires and decals and all plastic and rubber parts/trim on the vehicles.

Most marine and RV stores carry 303 and Walmart has it online and maybe instore.

Edited by Jaymz

• 2 years later...

303 Aerospace protectant is the product to use on plastic, rubber, vinyl, etc. It's a great tire UV blocker/protectant and the only one that works. NOT a "dressing" like ArmourAll junk and all the others that contain petroleum distillates. Sure it makes them shiney but NOT what you want to use.

http://www.303produc...-protectant.cfm

http://www.303produc...ation_guide.htm

I use it on our RV tires and decals and all plastic and rubber parts/trim on the vehicles.

Most marine and RV stores carry 303 and Walmart has it online and maybe instore.

Thanks, I'm going to try it.

• 2 years later...

Dawn dish washing detergent, garden hose, 5 gallon bucket, pressure washer, and a rag. This is what I used to use for all of my vehicles. In the last year or so I have been playing around with some other stuff. This is not really a detailing site so I will not post up the links and such but there are some really good products out there. But one thing you will find is that the detailing products world is pretty cut throat and very opinionated. And because of this I will not say what I use specifically.  But I will send you a link in a pm to the products I use. 

Keep in mind I said I used to use that method. This was before I saw the error in my ways and made corrections.  I also never used any kind of wax or sealants at all. I was lazy and cheap. Dawn is not good on paint at all, but it took me a long time to realize that. 

On 8/11/2017 at 5:12 PM, BSUPC said:

Keep in mind I said I used to use that method. This was before I saw the error in my ways and made corrections.  I also never used any kind of wax or sealants at all. I was lazy and cheap. Dawn is not good on paint at all, but it took me a long time to realize that. 

Yes will do thanks again!

• 1 year later...

I use a sprayer with a reservoir.  Typically found in garden supply, and used for mixing pesticide and/or plant food for irrigation.  

Always spray from top to bottom.

Spray first with JET nozzle to knock loose any dirt and debris.  

Spray with MIST setting, with the soap mixed in.  

Allow a little time for the soap to soften and penetrate whatever is on the car. 

Spray with JET setting to rinse off soap mix.

That is my lazy man's wash.  Just about as good as a drive through commercial car wash.  

I have a wash mop and use as needed.  Sometimes I'll spray and wipe with detailer spray for spot cleaning.  I have clay bars and waxes.  But for the most part, I'm lazy.  I just want to spray it down and be down the road.  Even with all the tools, who has all the time?  When I find time for maintenance on the car, it's usually mechanical.  Time is better spent on an oil change, or spark plugs.  So I'm a sucker, and I buy that car wash formula which is suppose to have wax in it.  I'm not fanatical about detailing. And every car I've ever owned has seen more commercial drive through car washes than hand washing.  

A good wheel cleaner solution as needed for brake dust on the bling.  In the photo, I used a piece of gauze to dab on a little bit of the solution, then rinsed it off.  No scrubbing.  If applied, allowed to penetrate, and then brushed; this brand of cleaner removes all of that buildup and restores the wheel to shiny new.

Here is the wheel spray that I really like, and that cheap car wash mix I put into the sprayer.

IMG_20190214_144104665.jpg

IMG_20190214_144229844.jpg

IMG_20190209_100138326.jpg

IMG_20190204_172938330_BURST000_COVER.jpg

15 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

I use a sprayer with a reservoir.  Typically found in garden supply, and used for mixing pesticide and/or plant food for irrigation.  

Always spray from top to bottom.

Spray first with JET nozzle to knock loose any dirt and debris.  

Spray with MIST setting, with the soap mixed in.  

Allow a little time for the soap to soften and penetrate whatever is on the car. 

Spray with JET setting to rinse off soap mix.

That is my lazy man's wash.  Just about as good as a drive through commercial car wash.  

I have a wash mop and use as needed.  Sometimes I'll spray and wipe with detailer spray for spot cleaning.  I have clay bars and waxes.  But for the most part, I'm lazy.  I just want to spray it down and be down the road.  Even with all the tools, who has all the time?  When I find time for maintenance on the car, it's usually mechanical.  Time is better spent on an oil change, or spark plugs.  So I'm a sucker, and I buy that car wash formula which is suppose to have wax in it.  I'm not fanatical about detailing. And every car I've ever owned has seen more commercial drive through car washes than hand washing.  

A good wheel cleaner solution as needed for brake dust on the bling.  In the photo, I used a piece of gauze to dab on a little bit of the solution, then rinsed it off.  No scrubbing.  If applied, allowed to penetrate, and then brushed; this brand of cleaner removes all of that buildup and restores the wheel to shiny new.

Here is the wheel spray that I really like, and that cheap car wash mix I put into the sprayer.

IMG_20190214_144104665.jpg

IMG_20190214_144229844.jpg

IMG_20190209_100138326.jpg

IMG_20190204_172938330_BURST000_COVER.jpg

I'm lazy myself but not at your level of lazy yet ,  i agree keeping the exterior in great shape isn't easy , i manually wash the whole thing then i dry it , after it's dry i go over the entire vehicle again using a clay bar ,  after the clay treatment i wax the whole thing at let that dry ( Including every inch of the roof) when it's dry i scrub off all the wax & it's a beautiful site.

After all the above is done the UV treatment starts for keeping all the plastic black trim from fading prematurely ,  that black plastic trim will go from a shiny black to a light colored weathered Grey real fast if not protected .

On 2/16/2019 at 3:49 PM, Fifty150 said:

That is the hardest part.  You need a 6 foot ladder.

No doubt the roof is not easy but doable , if it was a full size fan forget it but i can reach the middle from both sides on the TC.

It's not the height it's the width of the full size van compared to the TC , i can't reach the middle of the roof on a full size van but i can on the TC.  It takes some elbow grease to be able to wash and dry the roof and then wax it and buff it out but the results are far better .  Just spraying on a wax/cleaner would be my absolute last resort but it's better than nothing.

There is a right way to do it.  Hand wash.  Clay bar.  Wax.  And then there are people who are lazy.  But it's better than nothing.  Namely: Me.

What kind of wax do you like?  Hard wax in the can, or liquid wax in the bottle?  Do you follow up with metal polish on the wheels & tire dressing?  Do you buy "over the counter" products from the local auto supply?  Or specialty lines like https://psdetailproducts.com/ ?

I have been on both sides of this fence.  I had a pickup truck that I took to the car wash once a year in the spring (to wash the salt off) and a hot rod that I washed weekly and waxed about six times a year.  My motorcycles get washed often, but only waxed once a year (They are a PITA to wax), 

I have only had my TC for a few months, but the first week I had it, I gave it a good wax. While doing so, I was surprised to find a build sticker still on the roof!  Apparently the dealers don't wash the roofs of vans. 

Anyhow, my plan is to hand wax it at least twice a year and wash it about every two weeks.  As @Jaymz said, I have started using 303 protectant on the plastic and I really like it.  It seems to hold up better than others I have used.  I'm a fan of Meguiar's products ( I used the professional glaze on the hot rod), so I will be using their basic cleaner/wax on the TC.  I agree with @BSUPC about Dawn detergent, not good!  I use cheap powdered clothes detergent.  A few of my hot rod buddies, swear by it.  It seems to work ok, but I am not as sold on it as they are.   But it is really cheap!

I don't plan on cleaning the engine bay often.  Maybe once a year.  I probably will just use a simple degreaser like Simple Green.  I have used Gunk engine degreaser aerosol spray in the past, but its a little too strong for normal maintenance.

@Fifty150, I think I will give your method a try.  It might get me to wash it more often.  Getting the step stool out to wash the roof, tends to cause me to find something else to do!

As 50 said, there is a right way to do it. I went nuts on mine just before the winter season, took the whole day.....

I like to use Chemical Guys products -- https://www.chemicalguys.com/Exterior_Car_Care_and_Car_Wash_Products_s/371.htm

They have many videos on different products, watch before you buy, not cheap

Hand Wash

Clay bar

Paint correction (polish) - can be several steps depending on the paint condition with a dual action polisher

Glaze

Sealant

Wax

Each of these is the entire vehicle, hence the major time spent

But in the end the van paint was amazing, especially after the glaze, the wax is just a protectant.

I was very happy with the result.

Edited by zalienz