Ford Transit Connect Forum

Why was I locked out?

handyphil

I parked the TC to unload some trash from the back. I left the TC running and closed the driver side door. I opened both back doors (not side doors) and took out the trash. When I closed the doors, everything locked. I was locked out with the TC running.

Here's the kicker... This only happens when both rear doors are opened, not when just the right one is opened. Further, this only happens with the engine running. What were they thinking? Is this normal?

No, sorry, that's not it. This "problem" is not addressed in the owner's manual. I'm putting this out there as a warning to others that it is easy to get locked out and you can only get back in with a second set of keys, or a large rock.

It probably has to do with the child safety lock system. Check your owners manual, as I think the doors lock after a certain time period. There is also a way to de-activate it using the key.

Sorry. Mine self locked once too, although it wasn't with the keys in the ignition. I was playing with the yellow levers without knowing what they were for. I shut the doors and in a 1/2 minute or so heard them lock. Sure enough I needed the key to unlock them again.

Haha. I did the same thing with the yellow rear door lever a while ago. I wish there was some info in the manual about this. I can't imagine the logic behind it.

Sorry. Mine self locked once too, although it wasn't with the keys in the ignition. I was playing with the yellow levers without knowing what they were for. I shut the doors and in a 1/2 minute or so heard them lock. Sure enough I needed the key to unlock them again.

Haha. I did the same thing with the yellow rear door lever a while ago. I wish there was some info in the manual about this. I can't imagine the logic behind it.

I work out of the back of my wagon, and have accidentaly hit the yellow button and locked the doors. Luckily the windows were open and i could reach the keys. I removed the yellow latch button ( it just pulls off) and have avoided geting locked out again. I also had an extra key made with out the electronics and hid it under the wagon. It will unlock the doors but it won't start the vehicle just in case of locking the keys in it.

WOODY

Edited by JWWOODY

Woody - I like your idea of the key w/o electronics. Did you have it made at Ford dealer? Cost?

Phil

I work out of the back of my wagon, and have accidentaly hit the yellow button and locked the doors. Luckily the windows were open and i could reach the keys. I removed the yellow latch button ( it just pulls off) and have avoided geting locked out again. I also had an extra key made with out the electronics and hid it under the wagon. It will unlock the doors but it won't start the vehicle just in case of locking the keys in it.

WOODY

Woody - I like your idea of the key w/o electronics. Did you have it made at Ford dealer? Cost?

Phil

I had the key made by the dealer when I bought the truck. They needed the vin number and a key to copy. It took a couple of days and cost $50. I figured the $50 up front was cheaper than a locksmith call. I ordered a "hide a key lock box" from Duluth Trading with a combo lock and very strong magnet and put it under the wagon.

WOODY

Edited by JWWOODY

Thanks for the details!

I had the key made by the dealer when I bought the truck. They needed the vin number and a key to copy. It took a couple of days and cost $50. I figured the $50 up front was cheaper than a locksmith call. I ordered a "hide a key lock box" from Duluth Trading with a combo lock and very strong magnet and put it under the wagon.

WOODY

Today, I tried to recreate the problem by doing just what I said in my first post, and the problem did NOT occur. Now I am really confused! Can anyone out there verify that they can lock themselves out with the engine running (roll down the windows first!).

Thanks,

Phil

A small possibility is that RF interference might trigger the lock. Around my house there are so many RF devices it is scary. From Bluetooth to WiFi to Cell Phones to the garage door remotes, I'm surprised it all doesn't crash and burn in invisible RF flames.

Definitely a possibility I haven't thought of. Thanks.

A small possibility is that RF interference might trigger the lock. Around my house there are so many RF devices it is scary. From Bluetooth to WiFi to Cell Phones to the garage door remotes, I'm surprised it all doesn't crash and burn in invisible RF flames.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't gotten locked out yet, but I have returned to an unlocked vehicle a number of times. It seems to happen when I'm parked in lots with in and out traffic, so maybe some other remotes are setting off the locking system? Whatever, with a truck full of tools, it's not a great feeling.

Wow - that's frightening.

Absolutely. When I lock it, I always listen for the clunk of the locks closing, and I noticed maybe 3-4 times when I returned to the vehicle that pushing the unlock button didn't make the unlock clunk. Obviously, there's no way at that point to prove that the doors were unlocked, but given the small range of the key fob, it was unlikely that I pressed the unlock button accidentally while it was in my pocket. I'm planning on getting the horn connected to the central lock system at some point if it's possible.

Yes, that is rather unlikely. Let us know if you successfully attach a horn to the lock system; that should have been built-in!

Phil

Absolutely. When I lock it, I always listen for the clunk of the locks closing, and I noticed maybe 3-4 times when I returned to the vehicle that pushing the unlock button didn't make the unlock clunk. Obviously, there's no way at that point to prove that the doors were unlocked, but given the small range of the key fob, it was unlikely that I pressed the unlock button accidentally while it was in my pocket. I'm planning on getting the horn connected to the central lock system at some point if it's possible.

Wondering as to those being locked out accidently in previous topic and I too wonder many times returning to my vehicle if I actually locked my vehicle, "Did I actually just now lock my TC upon my return after not really locking it as I thought when I left?"

I have the XLT Wagon with key fob. Locking sequences I have noticed... (Test for your vehicle, you may not get the same results)

To lock my vehicle I have to use the key fob or any of the exterior locks by key.

Locking the vehicle from the interior locks from an OPEN DOOR or by key fob, front doors and cargo doors, the system "re-unlocks" all doors. Maybe so you cannot lock your keys in the vehicle? I tried leaving the key in the ignition not running and could not lock the doors from an open door. I believe the sliders can be locked independently, child safety setting(?), but in general use the key OR fob must be used to lock the vehicle from the exterior.

Once all doors are locked, the rear cargo doors can be opened by key without auto unlocking the front doors.

If all doors are unlocked, all doors can be locked by key-in-lock at either cargo or front doors.

If locked by way of cargo key-in-lock, unlocking at cargo using key-in-lock will only unlock the cargo doors.

Note: I previously reset my keyfob to open all doors using the first button on the keyf ob. It was set from the factory to only unlock the front doors and sliders on the first button.

I would have liked an audio confirmation to confirm locks are set and vehicle secured. Many times after hearing the "clunk" and walking away I wonder if it was the LOCKCLUNK or the UNLOCKCLUNK... There is a difference but when you are not consciously thinking about it along with the visual lights flashing confirmation, it requires a trip back depending on the area you are parked in.

With an audio confirmation maybe it would have included an audible anti-theft system. May not stop the thief but makes the owner feel secure knowing that your fellow-man will step in and call police if you do not respond.

Unfortunately this happened to my Mom, who is also my employee. She got out, opened the back doors, loaded, and when she went to get in, the doors were all locked. I called Ford Roadside who promised to be there with in the hour but that did not happen. Four hours and too many excuses later, she broke the side window to get in as she was sitting at a farm with no one around and it was getting dark. I fought with Ford and at least had 75% of it paid by Ford but what a hassle. That is my problem with the TC. It seems to be a great vehicle for what it is, but lousy service from both Ford and my dealership make me hesitate on buying another.

Yikes, that's terrible. I for one am installing the remote keypad on the back door ASAP.

Unfortunately this happened to my Mom, who is also my employee. She got out, opened the back doors, loaded, and when she went to get in, the doors were all locked. I called Ford Roadside who promised to be there with in the hour but that did not happen. Four hours and too many excuses later, she broke the side window to get in as she was sitting at a farm with no one around and it was getting dark. I fought with Ford and at least had 75% of it paid by Ford but what a hassle. That is my problem with the TC. It seems to be a great vehicle for what it is, but lousy service from both Ford and my dealership make me hesitate on buying another.

To get an audible lock "confirmation" why couldn't you just add a small, low amp draw, horn activated by the drivers lock actuator circuit?

Also, I "think" I have tried locking the vehicle with the fob, while it was running, and it wouldn't lock it. I'm in and out of a vehicle all day long, tho not very far from it, and my E250 I just left running and locked it with the fob. Now I'll have to cut it off every stop and come back to a hotter/colder vehicle. :angry:

I'm still the newb here and you folks may have figured it out. I could stop with it still running, doors unlock themselves when I opened the drivers door, but the rear doors wouldn't be unlocked. Mash the unlock and they still wouldn't unlock. Finally I read the options and now all doors unlock together. :yahoo:

Edited by ncranchero

Ahhh, I just remembered something. If you are using the TC for cargo, make sure that you pull the lock tabs off the side doors. I've had cargo shift and hit them, and they either locked the truck or wouldn't allow the door to be opened with the fob (not 100% sure since I pulled them long ago). Removing them was the only solution.

• 4 months later...

May i add this bit of advise. Remove that #@%^! yellow button/switch from the back door. You will bump it and it will lock you out! My little yellow button was introduced to the fire pit last summer along with a few colorful metaphors :drool: . Also, this vehicle unlocks and locks when IT wants to. You may think you have control but you don't. You never will. Take your spare key, remove the electronic fob, and zip tie the key blade under the vehicle for quick and easy retrieval. Give your wife, girlfriend, dog, fish...whatever, the fob for safe keeping. Now you have control. :stirpot:

• 2 months later...

Anyone investigated turning off all those flashing lights when you lock/unlock with the fob?

All of my Fords are controlled by one fob and this thing blinks so many lights that if I don't drive it for 3-4 days the battery runs down from my locking/unlocking my other vehicles! :angry: :banghead: :banghead:

A simple horn chirp would have made several of us happy ! !