Ford Transit Connect Forum

Camper Conversion

Well 110 would undoubtedly get much warmer, but you would still have the problem of limited watt-hours unless you use a generator or something like that. I will use one of those jump-starter gizmos (really just an auxiliary battery). I use the same device for a fan in warm weather.

I don't expect tremendous results from the 12 V blanket, but it might be enough to just help out a bit.

I'm thinking of wiring it for 110v so I can plug into it at state parks. This would give me unlimited power for an electric blanket. I've used a 12v while driving long haul and was not very satisfied with them. And that was running the truck all night to keep the battery charged and so I wouldn't have starting problems in the morning.

I'm thinking of wiring it for 110v so I can plug into it at state parks. This would give me unlimited power for an electric blanket. I've used a 12v while driving long haul and was not very satisfied with them. And that was running the truck all night to keep the battery charged and so I wouldn't have starting problems in the morning.

would you run the extension cord through a crack in the window or would you create a 110V receptacle on the body of the van like a regular RV would have?

thanks

• 3 months later...

@semperkeith - thanks for the link. I'd be a bit scared cutting a hole in a brand new van.

maybe installing it underneath on a bracket so it's easily accessible is a less evasive option for me. we'll see.

have you made any recent additions to your camper van?

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

I used metal legs made from plumbing nipples, and used floor flanges to attach them to a plywood base.  Then it was simply a matter of gluing a piece of (very expensive) foam to the wood and covering it with indoor/outdoor carpet I picked up at Home Depot.  Easy and super comfy!  

IMG_2881.JPG