Ford Transit Connect Forum

MPG while towing a motorcycle?

I get about 28-30mpg (2014 LWB) when cruising on the highway for long trips. I was curious what it would drop to with a motorcycle trailer behind me? Total would be about 1100 lbs for bike and trailer.

Just wondering if any of you guys have towed a bike long distances and kept an eye on mileage.

Edited by omniphil

Omniphil: Can you get the bike inside the van? Or maybe that space is taken up by passengers or something else.

I might be able to, I have the Passenger version so while the seats do fold flat they are still about 8 inches off the floor.

I'd also have to get some sort of ramp to get the bike up there too, seems like quite the chore?

good luck with that ...............unless it's an itty bitty motorcycle ;)

this is a 650 triumph , which are not that tall of a bike .

I don't have seats , so have the extra 8 inches and it just barely fit .

Also had to sit kitty corner to shut the rear doors

_KGN1373_zps3791c2e5.jpg

MY Bonnie fits nicely in my 2010, but that's the older style. I put it in myself by backing up against a bank and using a plank. Actually pretty easy if you can find the right spot. It would be more difficult on flat ground.

I looked at the pictures of Mustangs Atv set up . Very cool.

The Fuel mileage would be better if the trailer was kept in the wind envelope of the van . It should be over 20 .

When I get more time towing my set up I will report back

post-4748-0-01731500-1428418778_thumb.jp

• 2 months later...

I've towed once for a 650 mile trip. I rented the smallest highway trailer you can get at U-haul and put a riding mower on it. It was probably around 2000 lbs total. With the 1.6 ecoboost, air conditioning and driving 65 I got 20 MPG. Never got hot but you could tell it was there. I did this at 1700 miles on the van. It's fully broken in now...

• 10 months later...

I have towed the uhaul 5x9 open bed trailer several times now. Last trip with furniture I got 21.5 mpg over 250 miles of interstate. Driving 65. That Ecoboost is amazing. My last van (chevy astro V6) would only get 12-13 towing any trailer.

I've been wondering what it would do with a teardrop camper. Maybe I'll rent one.

It would need to be red!!

Edited by bahavw

• 3 weeks later...

I towed a small uhaul trailer across Kansas at 75 mph and got milave in the high 'teens/low 20's

I also towed a small flatbed trailer empty and got milage in the low teens because the tailgate/loading ramp stuck up in the air like a huge sail

• 3 months later...

Trailer design is pretty important. I have a Kendon with a shield and towing it behind my car with a smaller cycle(Yamaha Majesty) I actually get better mileage if not pushing it. Making it hump with the K1200 BMW I loose some. It pulls pretty close to the tow vehicle in its wind envelope.