Ford Transit Connect Forum

Anyone using a 2014+ Transit Connect as a family hauler?

Install a second camera and monitor if you really need it.  

It all depends on what you're used to driving.  I have a long wheel base.  To me, it feels about as small as my Honda.  However, I do drive a truck at work, and I also have a lifted pickup.  

Some good points made here. I agree that the transition could be difficult for some. I have been driving pickups with folding bed covers that offered unobscured vision all around. Took me some time to get used to the van. I was correct that having the second row windows would alleviate much of the blind feeling, They allow a direct look back to each side, enabling coming cross-traffic to be seen, and once I got used to the camera and started trusting it it became a breeze to back out of parking spaces. The sonar is very useful. I wish I had the same gear all around the vehicle like my Wife's Beemers do. The only downside to the camera is the tiny monitor. I am partially blind and it is difficult to see at times.

My last six vehicles have been small and mid-size pickups. Most of them felt like trucks. When driving the TC I forget there's a cargo area behind me and it feels like driving a car. The low seating position and the amazing view add to that feeling.

One gets a sense of being a bit different when driving these things. They have an odd, cutting edge feeling that is unlike almost any other American vehicle and people look curiously at them. Especially if they are used as private transport and not commercial vehicles. The look of mine has grown on me over time (I actually think the wagon version is unattractive), and every man I show it to wants to have one. It is the most useful and versatile general hauling vehicle I have ever owned.

I do wonder about resale value down the road. I surmise that by enhancing the cargo area while keeping it completely open will make it more appealing to either a daily driver or a tradesman when that time comes.

18 hours ago, G B L said:

There are several sets of ramps at amazon that are long enough to allow the TC to get up on them for Maintenance.

Here is a Link to a set that would work if you are interested

https://www.amazon.com/Race-Ramps/b/ref=bl_dp_s_web_2599295011?ie=UTF8&node=2599295011&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Race+Ramps

I am in full agreement about the Rear camera in drive , it would be excelent

I faced this issue when I realized, much to my surprise, that changing the oil was no longer an easy matter (it's also becoming harder as I age). Accepting that was a step into the future. This was a beast different to anything I have ever owned. I looked at ramps. They're big and difficult to store (impossible in my garage). Trustworthy ones are heavy. I finally accepted that in this era, with 7-10 thousand mile synth oil changes, it wasn't going to be that big a deal to take it to a dealer and be done with it. I will just bite the bullet and have them change the air filter and all the wiper blades at the same time.

I agree about the camera. The center pillar is a bit of an inconvenience, but worth the trade for the doors.