Ford Transit Connect Forum

OEM Trailer Hitch - Gen 2 TC

I ordered my 2015 TC with a factory trailer hitch. No immediate need for it but figured it would be good to have for future use.

The only problem I have with it so far is that it sticks out beyond the bumper about 1.5", so it's a real shin grabber. Ouch!

I've banged into it several times and tonight my wife did the same, so it's not just my boney legs getting kissed by this chunk of metal.

Do others with this stock hitch have the same problem?

I'm strongly considering removing the hitch until I need it if that can easily be done. I took a look underneath to see how it's mounted, and there are four bolts per side that it's attached to with a nut. The head of the bolt is hidden inside the frame so not sure if those are welded on some how. If I remove the nuts and pull the hitch off, what will happen to the bolts and can I easily reattach it?

thanks

post-4138-0-91115400-1424761587_thumb.jp

Edited by windguy

Too much hassle. I have one also on a 2014. Put a rubber fill cover on it, helps a little. You'll get used to it. A hitch receiver can come in handy for other than just towing a trailer. Bike racks, hitch hauler (platform), actually pulling your transit out of a ditch or snow (did that already this winter). New TCs do NOT come with the screw in tow loop, and the manual says it doesn't work with the receiver in place. You try crawling under the Tc to attach a tow cable, especially in mud or snow without messing it up IF you think you found a place to attach to!

Speaking of trailer hitch - I was originally going to get the factory trailer hitch when I ordered my 2015 XLT Van but wanted a 2" receiver (I'm pretty sure the factory one is 1.25"). Not that I plan on pulling heavy trailers, but I'm a mountain biker and all my bike racks are for 2" receivers.

Anyone know exactly what Class III or IV hitch will fit the 2015 Connect?

Speaking of trailer hitch - I was originally going to get the factory trailer hitch when I ordered my 2015 XLT Van but wanted a 2" receiver (I'm pretty sure the factory one is 1.25"). Not that I plan on pulling heavy trailers, but I'm a mountain biker and all my bike racks are for 2" receivers.

Anyone know exactly what Class III or IV hitch will fit the 2015 Connect?

pretty sure the TC has a Class I hitch - rated for 2,000 pounds. I think you're right on the 1.25" size but I can confirm.

Other forum posters have mentioned they got an aftermarket hitch from Curt. See the link below.

http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2014_Ford_Transit+Connect.htm

Too much hassle. I have one also on a 2014. Put a rubber fill cover on it, helps a little. You'll get used to it. A hitch receiver can come in handy for other than just towing a trailer. Bike racks, hitch hauler (platform), actually pulling your transit out of a ditch or snow (did that already this winter). New TCs do NOT come with the screw in tow loop, and the manual says it doesn't work with the receiver in place. You try crawling under the Tc to attach a tow cable, especially in mud or snow without messing it up IF you think you found a place to attach to!

I sit on the back "tailgate" to change into my wetsuit and that hitch is in the way. hard to totally avoid and not to bang your shins into that chunk of metal.

I'd like to hear from someone that has removed the hitch to see how easy it is to that. With the spare tire right behind it there isn't much room to have the hitch in this area.

the factory hitch is a class II and is 2 inch receiver

and when ordered from the factory comes with electronic anti sway control .

I just measured mine an hour ago and it's 2". wait, did I just say that right? ;)

good to know it's a Class II and had no idea about the sway control. will take another look at that.

do you have factory hitch and have your shins bonked into it yet?

the factory hitch is a class II and is 2 inch receiver

and when ordered from the factory comes with electronic anti sway control .

Shucks - I should have gotten the factory hitch then. I couldn't find any info about that option so I had no idea it had a 2" receiver. Boo..

Just need to find an aftermarket one that fits.

Thanks gentle men!

• 2 weeks later...

the factory trailer hitch for a Gen 2 is a Class I receiver.

see the attached pic of the factory label that's on the side of the hitch.

I scraped the back of calf on this thing again yesterday. I've got to pad this thing somehow.

trailer hitch rating label

I have a 2014 LWB wagon, Installed a Curt 2" receiver, well made, easy to install, sticks out less than 1" from the bumper . Very reasonably priced from E Trailer, they have the Lighting adapter also.

Hope this helps

I have a 2014 LWB wagon, Installed a Curt 2" receiver, well made, easy to install, sticks out less than 1" from the bumper . Very reasonably priced from E Trailer, they have the Lighting adapter also.

Hope this helps

nice. can you take a few pics to show how it mounts?

the factory trailer hitch for a Gen 2 is a Class I receiver.

see the attached pic of the factory label that's on the side of the hitch.

I scraped the back of calf on this thing again yesterday. I've got to pad this thing somehow.

I'd say the receiver class in this case is based on the towing & weight capacity of the way the unit mounts to the vehicle. Likely the vehicle frame can't support the class 2 rated weight. 2000/200 is by definition class one and it has to be able to handle 3500/350 to be rated class two, 2 inch receiver or not. Although the norm is 1 inch class one, 1.5 class one or over but under class two, 2 inch class two or greater. My 2008 Explorer has a factory class three and my Expedition has a class 3/4. Class 3 is 5000 pounds, right?

I'm glad it is a 2 inch receiver for all the common accessories I have. I have several ball mounts for various heights including an adjustable one, a Reese bike rack, and a hitch hauler cargo platform, all in 2 inch tube.

When my yard drys up (hard winter), I'll have to do a test tow run with the TC with my 8.5x4x4 foot 2000 GTW cargo trailer, even though the Exploer will remain my primary tower.

@GBL - thanks for the pics. that's a very nice looking hitch. the spare tire location doesn't leave much room for a hitch but this Curt model fit nicely without sticking out as much as the OEM one. Your poor TC if covered in winter road rash.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

2015 Wagon

I had the hitch installed by the dealer third party agent - I forgot the name

One thing though, to get the spare tire out, a jack has to be put on to raise the ground clearance to slide the tire out

The four bolts are loose and how the bolts are fitted, I thing long slender springs are screwed onto the bolts and the springs are threaded thru the hole, then the spring is removed and the nut screwed on while holding the bolt. The bolt head is completetly inaccessable

@mikeeshaq - is your trailer hitch a Ford part or aftermarket like the Curt that GBL mentioned and others have installed?

I'm curious about these springs because I checked to see how my Ford installed hitch attaches to the frame and only see the four studs (two on each side) sticking out but can't see the head of the stud because it's behind the frame so not sure what holds those studs in place and how they were installed. The hitch sits on the studs with a nut holding it in.

I've mentioned this before, for me, the hitch is in the way because it sticks out from the bumper and is a real shin grabber. I keep having to be careful not to bonk into this while loading gear and also even just sitting there tailgating, which I do a lot because I sit on the edge and put my wetsuit on or have a snack.

Let me throw this idea out to the group. I don't have any immediate plans to use the trailer hitch so is it feasible to order a new bumper from Ford parts and swap it out?

If I have a need to use the hitch then I can put it back on but for everyday use it's not required. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the Ford hitch framework is in place of a regular bumper. One or the other. If the cost isn't that much for a new bumper and it's not that hard to install I would do this to improve my use of the van. thanks!

Can you post a Picture of your hitch from the back looking up from ground level?

If I am right You won't need a new bumper the only thing you will need is the spacer to take up the space

the hitch flanges take up behind the bumper

the aftermarket hitches install on the underside of the body rails and yours has bracing that

goes behind the bumper mounts.

If you find the right guy it will be an easy job.

If you do do this and you need the hitch again then you can put the Curt hitch on in a 1/2/

hour android the hitch will not stick out past the bumper.

I'll try to take a pic tomorrow.

Many months ago I had checked out a van on the dealer lot to see what the bumper looks like without the trailer hitch.

The trailer hitch bumper is one welded piece. It's not added on as a separate part.

That's why you don't get the tow hook in the rear bumper. There is just a portal hole in the bumper cover.

So I'm guessing at either the factory or in Maryland when the van is processed they install this option by removing the regular bumper and putting on the trailer hitch bumper assembly.