Ford Transit Connect Forum

Rear License Plate Mounting

windguy

got my plates today and after cinching down the rear one the bottom flares away from the body.

maybe it's just me but I'd rather this plate lay flat against the door panel.

perhaps adding a spacer would help to prevent this. anyone else do something like this to their Gen 2 TC?

thanks

it took two pics to show the rear plate.

side view shows how it flairs out at the bottom.

when you look at the back view it seems that the plate area was designed more for a Euro plate that is wide and narrow and not for the size of a US plate.

one option is to raise the plate a few inches by drilling two new holes in the plate so it sits nicely in the plate area. We'll see how much it bugs me.

post-4138-0-44664100-1422755429_thumb.jp

post-4138-0-53215500-1422755440_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...

drilled another set of holes in the rear license plate, about 1-1/4" lower and remounted the plate higher so that it now sits inside the recessed area around the plate. left about a 3/16" gap between the top of the plate and the black plastic above it.

also added a strip of Black High-Density Rubber Foam Weatherstrip Tape to the top edge of the plate so the metal doesn't touch the paint.

I think it looks better and the extra set of holes in the plate don't seem to be an issue. see the BEFORE and AFTER pics below.

BEFORE

rear license plate 01

AFTER

rear license plate 03a

Edited by windguy

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 3/15/2015 at 3:23 PM, windguy said:

drilled another set of holes in the rear license plate, about 1-1/4" lower and remounted the plate higher so that it now sits inside the recessed area around the plate. left about a 3/16" gap between the top of the plate and the black plastic above it.

also added a strip of Black High-Density Rubber Foam Weatherstrip Tape to the top edge of the plate so the metal doesn't touch the paint.

I think it looks better and the extra set of holes in the plate don't seem to be an issue. see the BEFORE and AFTER pics below.

Yup. I've done that for multiple vehicles.  It's pretty inexpensive and can be found at any hardware store.