Ford Transit Connect Forum

oil change on the 2014 TC

Johnyguy

i cant find the tread for this how much oil the 2014 tc takes for an oil change with the filterr if someone could guid me to the rigth place

thanks!

i have find my answer sorry about the post moderator please delete it .thanks

Edited by Johnyguy

i cant find the tread for this how much oil the 2014 tc takes for an oil change with the filterr if someone could guid me to the rigth place

thanks!

I can't find the thread either but between the dealer and a call to Ford (Since its not in the owners manual) the correct amount for the 2.5 liter engine is 5.7 quarts with filter. (Assuming you have the 2.5)

and to further confuse the issue .............

from the manual

4.3 qts with filter

4 qts without changing filter

page 196 of owners manual

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/Catalog/owner_information/2014-transitconnect-owner-manual-version-1_EN-US_11_2013.pdf

that was from printing #1 of the manual

printing #2 has it listed as omni phil says 5.7 qts. for the 2.5 liter on page 197

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/Catalog/owner_information/2014-Transit-Connect-Owners-Manual-version-2_om_EN-US_03_2014.pdf

Edited by mustang

from the manual

4.3 qts with filter

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/Catalog/owner_information/2014-transitconnect-owner-manual-version-1_EN-US_11_2013.pdf

Yeah, I went down this road. The dealer told me 5 quarts, Ford told me 6. I finally found the right guy of at Ford customer service. 5.7 quarts. And that amount brought me pretty close to the full mark on the dipstick after it was changed. I checked a bunch of times because I didn't believe anyone, lol

Yeah, I went down this road. The dealer told me 5 quarts, Ford told me 6. I finally found the right guy of at Ford customer service. 5.7 quarts. And that amount brought me pretty close to the full mark on the dipstick after it was changed. I checked a bunch of times because I didn't believe anyone, lol

thats rigth thanks

• 1 year later...

Okay, so based on what I see, the oil filter holds 0.3 qt.  32 ounces to a quart.  Somehow, 9.6 ounces will fit into the filter.  And for whatever reason, you want to top off the engine oil to the top of the mark on the dipstick, it takes 0.8 qt.  That is about 25.6 ounces.  But the real numbers to pay attention to is the 5.7 qts capacity with filter + the 0.8 qt top-up.  

Now what do you do with the extra 0.3 qt left over at every oil change?

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
On 1/19/2015 at 11:15 AM, omniphil said:

but between the dealer and a call to Ford (Since its not in the owners manual) the correct amount for the 2.5 liter engine is 5.7 quarts with filter. (Assuming you have the 2.5)

How is it, that you couldn't find it in the owners manual?  

52 seconds in.  "it was on sale at Wal*Mart"

Does this guy own a shop?  Or is he just another home wrencher?  I can't think of any shops where they are buying from Wal*Mart when it's on sale for $5 a quart.  Me.  I buy oil on sale, or when there's a coupon.  But if you have a shop, you need to buy from your distributor, and get a fast delivery.......who has the time to go shopping at Wal*Mart, when you're trying to run a business?

• 2 months later...
On 1/19/2015 at 11:19 AM, mustang said:

from the manual

4.3 qts with filter

that was from printing #1 of the manual

printing #2 has it listed as omni phil says 5.7 qts. for the 2.5 liter on page 197

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/Catalog/owner_information/2014-Transit-Connect-Owners-Manual-version-2_om_EN-US_03_2014.pdf

And here are photos from my actual paper manual.

As I am preparing for my next oil change, I looked it up again, and someone may want to change their oil for the first time.

IMG_20190128_094243038.jpg

IMG_20190128_094326577.jpg

IMG_20190128_094701932.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 1/19/2015 at 11:30 AM, omniphil said:

The dealer told me 5 quarts, Ford told me 6. I finally found the right guy of at Ford customer service. 5.7 quarts. And that amount brought me pretty close to the full mark on the dipstick 

5 quarts is just about midway on the hashmark range of the dipstick.    My Transit Connect was recently in the dealership.  Technician drained the engine, filled with 5 quarts.  I just changed oil a few days ago.  I used 5 quarts.  I will monitor, and add extra oil if needed.  For now, it's halfway on the dipstick hashmark range; which to me, is fine.  

IMG_20190502_222711181.thumb.jpg.291961d121af1945edb00bec6baee719.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

To reset the oil change message you turn on the ignition and press the brake and gas, in 3 seconds reset message comes up then 25 seconds later its done.  Does anyone know how far the gas pedal has to be pressed down?  The right hand drive conversion keeps the gas pedal from going all the way down and I suspect that's why I can't reset the message.  

1 hour ago, Appraiser249 said:

To reset the oil change message you turn on the ignition and press the brake and gas, in 3 seconds reset message comes up then 25 seconds later its done.  Does anyone know how far the gas pedal has to be pressed down?  The right hand drive conversion keeps the gas pedal from going all the way down and I suspect that's why I can't reset the message.  

I didn't know you can do that. Thanks for asking about that.

The oil change message came on recently so good timing.

After turning ignition on partly, I pushed both pedals all the way down and after a few seconds, the message came up that it's resetting. After about 15 seconds the resetting was complete.

This van sure has some weird hidden tricks for doing things that Ford doesn't advertise. Same deal when I had to sync up the added keypad with the fobs.

I'm wondering if ForScan will allow you to reset the  Oil Life Monitor.

Try stepping on both pedals fully with the ignition off. Then turn the key to the first position.  

olm.thumb.jpg.063dbede3e4a90e8cb0d902dfeb1e260.jpg

At my last oil change, I only used 5 quarts.  Owners manual specifies 5.7 quarts.  Dipstick has 2 holes, and a crosshatch marking which starts at the bottom hole, and goes to just beyond the midway point to the top hole.  5 quarts completely covers the crosshatch section.  5.7 quarts goes just past the top hole.  

dipstick.thumb.jpg.28e403aeb47e7b5d321ad42d601016a8.jpg

capacity.thumb.jpg.6f76150bea747205475592b75f465bc9.jpg

1510416823_oiladd.thumb.jpg.06335e0dfaf935b328582511494335bd.jpgIMG_20190507_101449060.thumb.jpg.eb33140c94c626c360d565c0c3055881.jpgIMG_20190507_101434365.thumb.jpg.079b1f0083654e488fd100b55ed20063.jpg

IMG_20190507_101456026.thumb.jpg.b4f62b04f2ddfa578619993939116c92.jpg

Current owners manual shows that 0W-20 is an alternative oil. Motor oil manufacturers are now bottling 0W-20 with the label reading "suitable for SAE 5W-20".  I used 0W-20 for my last oil change.  

57007720_fmcto0w.jpg.5223d907f8163ed1fa1a97968754ee23.jpg

464154196_pennbottle.thumb.jpg.cf4fe34115e19d3ba57df3811e5a47d2.jpg

I also use an FL400S filter, which is a little longer.  My belief is that the longer canister has more filtration media.  

2hh3vkh.jpg.82f7667886fd731aececa2155c9c47b3.jpg

IMG_20190510_162908858.thumb.jpg.1ded9a2f48d9cd8a814cbecd486a94eb.jpg

dipstick.jpg

IMG_20190507_101449060.jpg

Edited by Fifty150

I like the FL-400S filter idea. More filter area works for me. I just changed my oil, and 5 quarts brings it to the top of the cross-hatch line on the dipstick. I'm ok with that. Currently using Mobil 1 full synthetic and the FL-910S Motorcraft filter. Next oil change I'll try the FL-400S.

For decades, I've seen fleet vehicles serviced with bulk oil and bulk filters.  Always to spec, but never with OEM or name brand products.  Engines never suffered catastrophic failure from cheap oil or filters.  No bulk pack filter ever failed or blew off under heavy load.  This taught me that if you change the oil when you are suppose to, it doesn't matter.

Over the years, I've spent a fortune on boutique oil and high price filters.  I don't think they did anything for any of my cars.   Racing filters and special add-pack oil for high performance engines......for my daily commuter and grocery getter.  

I have decided to buy whatever oil which meets spec; on sale, with a coupon, or rebate.  Discount lube shops and fleet service companies all over the country, install millions of units annually, and yet, you don't hear about the hundreds of thousands of seized engines from such application.  I am not saying that a K&N filter is bad.  I'm not saying that $1 filters are just as good as K&N.  I think that the generic, bulk filters will work as intended, for the OEM spec oil change interval, with any brand oil which meets spec.  No extended oil change intervals.  No performance engine oil.  

46 minutes ago, zalienz said:

Currently using Mobil 1 full synthetic and the FL-910S Motorcraft filter.

You aren't using the Mobil oil filter with Mobil 1 oil?  Or K&N?  

23 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

You aren't using the Mobil oil filter with Mobil 1 oil?  Or K&N?  

Nope. I'd rather stick with the factory filter while it's still under warranty, but I'm not really worried about it.  I can get the Motorcraft filter at the local parts store for about 5 bucks, so it's not expensive either. Most other filters are about the same price, except the K&N. I know it will always work right, as long as I tighten it properly... lol

Sticking with the filter the engineers call for is always the best way to go  -  If they thought it needed more filter area, they would have specified a bigger filter.  There's lots more going on inside any modern filter than just the amount of filtration material

Don

On 5/12/2019 at 3:59 PM, Fifty150 said:

I press both pedals all the way.

That's what I figured...   The right side gas pedal hits the floor before the left side one does.  I'll remove one of the bolts that links them so it will go to the floor.  Then I should be able to get rid of the notice.  

A lot of factors.  Fitment. Cost.  Safety.  Compromise.  Sales.  3/4-16 is a very popular thread size.  FL910S fits where the FL1A and FL400S will not fit.  On a Focus, a FL400S has a very real risk of being crushed or broken off if the car bottoms out.  The smaller filter will also fit on a lot of cars from other manufacturers. 

A lot new Ford cars are now using FL910S.  Must be easier for the factories and dealerships to stock 1 part instead of 3.  Nothing new uses FL400S or FL1A anymore.  Most new Ford cars are FL910S or FL500S. 

Pics all over the internet show side by side 400 & 910 cut open.  They're almost identical. Then you discover that the old style FL400S with the taller can is favored by Jeep owners over the Mopar filter.   

I am looking at the GM ACDelco version, with the 4.75" canister, like how FL400S used to be about 10 years ago.  Rock Auto has a bunch of clearance filters for 3/4-16 thread pitch, for about $1.  The Champion Labs PH400 is awesome for $1.10.

I think that the Ford engineers know that full synthetic oil with a more robust additive package and better filtration can benefit.  The engineers also know that better quality parts in every way, could result in a better made vehicle.  The car we get is not engineered to be the best.  Otherwise, there wouldn't be the issues related to TSBs, Recalls, law suits.... The marketing department and accountants have to position the car into a market price segment, and make a profit.  Corners are cut. 

Otherwise, we would all be driving "the best".  Just think of the current dual clutch transmission fiasco. No way the engineers knew what they were doing with that one.  Or the engineers knew, and the accountants overruled them.  

For those who think long-haul, Ford supplies the Motorcraft oil in the 6 gallon bag-in-box package, complete with a nifty tap.   Rock Auto has it for $3.70 per quart for the full synthetic (https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8121040&jsn=327) and I've seen this package from other vendors as well.  No piles of 1-quart, or even 1-gallon, bottles to send to the landfill.

For me, shipping and tax comes to $101.78.  Once you crack the seal,  it's exposed to oxygen, hydrogen, and ultraviolet light.  How long can you store it after opening?  I will need 4 years to use the entire container.  Same reason why I don't buy 5 gallon buckets. 

I worry about degradation, oxidation, and elements out of suspension.  And I don't want to pick it up, tilt it to pour into the engine, and all of it pours out too fast to stop.  Then there's controlling the pour to get the right measure.  5 & 6 gallons is a lot of weight.

The oil packaged in 6 quart boxes has my attention.  That's good for when the 5 quart jugs aren't enough.