Ford Transit Connect Forum

Cargo Mat for Van Models

windguy

I did a little exploration today to see what is under the cargo mat and wanted to share what I found out.

I lifted the mat on the driver's side in front of the sliding door.

First removed the d-ring tie-down with a T-50 torx bit.

Then lifted up the black step molding, which is held down by yellow plastic fasteners and peeled back the mat.

I also peeled back the black side panel just to see what's behind it and how to get the step removed if I wanted to go any further.

As you can see from the two pics attached, the platform looks very similar to the drawing in the builder's guide posted earlier.

I marked in red where the step up occurs, as I can see the carpeting close to the surface through a nearby hole. This is about 22 inches from the leading edge and the width inside the step molding is about 38".

Removing the platform would require a lot of work with some unknowns. The sides of the platform go underneath and support the step molding in front of the sliding doors. You would need to first remove the two black side panels that go between the sliding door and the rear door. It appears these are held in place by numerous fasteners, just like all the other coverings in the van. Nothing is screwed down anymore. With the side panels removed, then you can remove the black step in front of the sliding door on both sides.

Remove the four d-rings and then the mat will easily lift out.

Not sure exactly how the platform is held in place. Is it bolted from inside the van or through the flooring from underneath? you would think it would be from inside.

As much as I'd love to create a storage area where this platform is, the amount of work involved to remove it and then build back support is extensive. I'm not sure it's worth it. I put back the pieces I removed and the only collateral damage was that one of the yellow fasteners for the step molding fell down into the well somewhere where I can't get to it. Not sure it's necessary to replace it but may source a fastener some time in the future.

There is a small storage area that has a black plastic cover, 1/2 over the face of the platform and 1/2 on top. It just snaps in and you can remove it by just lifting the mat up slightly. The compartment is located right behind the center console on the platform.You can see this in the picture attached. It's a bit strange and not sure how you would use this but it is there.

post-4138-0-32900100-1422947299_thumb.jp

post-4138-0-12989700-1422947309_thumb.jp

Edited by windguy

• 2 months later...

Just an FYI for anyone looking to remove the floor insert with a 2014 connect, mine is spot welded in place, making removal just a little bit difficult.

thanks for posting that info.

curious, how did you find this out?

are you looking to remove the deck to free up some space?

thanks

@evilrobot - great pics, thanks for posting. very cool for me to see this cause I didn't explore that far.

almost hard to get oriented when looking at them. It looks cavernous with all that open space.

what did you remove to get these views?

in my exploration, I thought you'd need to remove the rear black panels on the side in order to remove the step molding and lift the cargo mat.

Did you do this?

the step molding I can see is gone. was there another panel on the side of the platform that was removed or was it open like this?

there seems to be a center hub running front to back that's permanent.

my 2015 van has carpeting that extends from the cab area, below the seats, and all the way back to rear of the platform where it goes up to the level of the cargo area. I don't see that in yours, just raw white body, so that's once difference.

so what's your next step?

you're my hero for doing this and sharing your discovery.

Edited by windguy

BTW - The other day I opened the rear compartment for the jack to check out the location of the tow hook holder, and I looked around with a flashlight to see how the sidewall area was constructed. there's a lot of space on each side that's unused. there's an extra inner layer of metal extended up from the wheel well dividing the area into two parts. Seems like it's mostly designed to support the side panel for aesthetics and not functionality. The van could really use more storage areas so it's a shame the van designers didn't maximize this feature.

@evilrobot - great pics, thanks for posting. very cool for me to see this cause I didn't explore that far.

almost hard to get oriented when looking at them. It looks cavernous with all that open space.

what did you remove to get these views?

in my exploration, I thought you'd need to remove the rear black panels on the side in order to remove the step molding and lift the cargo mat.

Did you do this?

the step molding I can see is gone. was there another panel on the side of the platform that was removed or was it open like this?

there seems to be a center hub running front to back that's permanent.

my 2015 van has carpeting that extends from the cab area, below the seats, and all the way back to rear of the platform where it goes up to the level of the cargo area. I don't see that in yours, just raw white body, so that's once difference.

so what's your next step?

you're my hero for doing this and sharing your discovery.

The only piece I removed was the side step. I took a flat blade and just pried up about every 15 cm until all the plastic snaps had popped out. The side step does go underneath the side panel, but once all the steps plastic snaps are undone it has enough movement that you can maneuver it out from underneath the side panel. FYI, in mine the side panel is put on with some annoying "permanent" plastic snaps, where as the step is put on with a removable style. Next step will probably just be to put the step back for now. I don't think that I have the time this year to make a pretty storage solution, I just wanted to see what I was up against. Once I do get more time I might try drilling out the spot welds to release the panel and tap in to all that hidden space!

No carpet in mine, front is all rubber liner. The liner goes under the seat and then forms a lip at the front of that rectangular tube in the floor panel assembly.

The only piece I removed was the side step. I took a flat blade and just pried up about every 15 cm until all the plastic snaps had popped out. The side step does go underneath the side panel, but once all the steps plastic snaps are undone it has enough movement that you can maneuver it out from underneath the side panel. FYI, in mine the side panel is put on with some annoying "permanent" plastic snaps, where as the step is put on with a removable style. Next step will probably just be to put the step back for now. I don't think that I have the time this year to make a pretty storage solution, I just wanted to see what I was up against. Once I do get more time I might try drilling out the spot welds to release the panel and tap in to all that hidden space!

No carpet in mine, front is all rubber liner. The liner goes under the seat and then forms a lip at the front of that rectangular tube in the floor panel assembly.

thanks for the info. understand about not having the time to take this task on. I'm in the same position. if you get back to it sometime please update us.

interesting about the rubber liner vs carpet and where it ends. it would be really useful to have two large storage compartments. hopefully one day.

What great information, I have the XLT LWB wagon version and when the seats are folded flat the deck height is not a much higher than the Van platform and with the seats removed it would not be hard to get a platform with a lot of storage. I think that I would have no trouble overloading the Van with the amount of room that it has with the seats folded flat.

The other thing I noticed is the Van has no head liner in the back and the Wagon has a great Headliner that is good for noise and provides good insulation for heat and cold.

Thanks for all the great Info

• 3 weeks later...

What great information, I have the XLT LWB wagon version and when the seats are folded flat the deck height is not a much higher than the Van platform and with the seats removed it would not be hard to get a platform with a lot of storage. I think that I would have no trouble overloading the Van with the amount of room that it has with the seats folded flat.

The other thing I noticed is the Van has no head liner in the back and the Wagon has a great Headliner that is good for noise and provides good insulation for heat and cold.

Thanks for all the great Info

I agree, I contemplated the differences in the van and wagon and ultimately chose the wagon. I have removed the second row seats to have a lower entry height if that makes sense versus having the seats folded flat. With the seats removed the floor is about level with the door sill versus the folded flat seats that would be about 8 inches higher much like the platform in the van.

In EvilRobots picture of the van floor, I could see cutting a panel out of the floor and reinstalling it with a hinge to make a trap door for easy access to that wasted space or even easier just leaving the side sills permanently off for storing stuff under there. f1d649ec7c4b6aba0575973e989643cb_zpsjfii

@15Dan15 - thanks for posting your "seat removed" pic on this thread. it's very helpful to me to see that compared to what the cargo van has going on.

the difference between my van and EvilRobot is that I have the same dark carpet extending from the front seat area to the rear. It ends after it steps up to the cargo floor height and then a few inches back then it's all just painted metal. So now I'm wondering how Ford attached the deck to the floor since there is carpet there. Seems like there wouldn't be any welding going on. Maybe they use the same holes that the seats are attached to as anchor points. I hope to make this a next fall/winter project when I have some time. Now that EvilRobot gave us the tip that you can access this area by removing the side door step molding without having to remove the rear side panels, I'm more encouraged to dig into this project.

@15Dan15 - thanks for posting your "seat removed" pic on this thread. it's very helpful to me to see that compared to what the cargo van has going on.

the difference between my van and EvilRobot is that I have the same dark carpet extending from the front seat area to the rear. It ends after it steps up to the cargo floor height and then a few inches back then it's all just painted metal. So now I'm wondering how Ford attached the deck to the floor since there is carpet there. Seems like there wouldn't be any welding going on. Maybe they use the same holes that the seats are attached to as anchor points. I hope to make this a next fall/winter project when I have some time. Now that EvilRobot gave us the tip that you can access this area by removing the side door step molding without having to remove the rear side panels, I'm more encouraged to dig into this project.

Yep, I was looking at EvilRobots pics to see if the seat bolts are utilized, front seat bolts I'd lean toward no but the back where you can see the black anchors in my pic, I'd think maybe so, but like you said, extended effort to remove the platform versus removing the side door step molding and maybe just replacing it with a cargo net. Lot of space there.

@15Dan15 - thanks for the input.

I checked out EvilRobot's pics again and just noticed that his platform is different than mine. I have torque bits in mine and he doesn't. His appears to be welded and he did mention he thought the platform was welded to the frame. Mine is a 2015 Van and his is a 2014 Van, so not sure if this is a model year change. See the attached pic for a comparison. The mystery continues :headscratch:

Step Up Platform Comparison

to add to your confusion.............

my 2014 cargo van is the same as your 2015

a black insert with torx bolts

thanks Mustang. so much for that model year theory. I'll need to dream up a new one now ;)

I've got a great idea. You're a handy guy with some time on his hands, how about you being the first TC owner to take out that platform and create a nice storage solution. Yes?

@EvilRobot - hopefully you're still checking in with the forum. Curious, does your cargo van have windows in the back and/or windows on the sliding doors?

thanks

Edited by windguy

EvilRobot is from Canada and the Chicken tax Rules might be Different so he could have a Euro work Van Welded Platform No bolts Cheaper

Platform in the car when painted.

Still about the money

EvilRobot is from Canada and the Chicken tax Rules might be Different so he could have a Euro work Van Welded Platform No bolts Cheaper

Platform in the car when painted.

Still about the money

If you were to take out the mat and Pull the bolts 15 Dan15's Titanium's Floor is what your van will look like with the platform Removed .

good catch - you are probably right about his being a Canada delivery vs US. My platform was probably added by the processing center in Maryland after the seats and belts were removed. I think you're right about it looking just like the wagon version with the platform out. That's more encouraging for me to take this project on in the future. I'd like to have a bit more storage area right behind the seats for small items and then have larger storage areas for things like jumper cables and maybe an inverter. thanks for the input!

I also think that the vans that are destined to be Work Vans and not wagons get a totally different looking set of Passenger seats and appointments than the real wagon versions.

With the Solid rear Quarter panels .

Would like to see Your truck as it came off the boat.

thanks Mustang. so much for that model year theory. I'll need to dream up a new one now ;)

I've got a great idea. You're a handy guy with some time on his hands, how about you being the first TC owner to take out that platform and create a nice storage solution. Yes?

@EvilRobot - hopefully you're still checking in with the forum. Curious, does your cargo van have windows in the back and/or windows on the sliding doors?

thanks

No windows on the sliding doors or the rear for my 2014 van.

• 9 months later...

So I just now came across this old post. Last weekend, I pulled out the entire rear interior (everything behind the seats) from my 2015 TC LWB van (no windows at all, for reference) - and I took a ton of pics along the way. Hopefully this link works right, I created an album in the gallery with all the pics. http://fordtransitconnectforum.com/gallery/album/168-custom-build-out/

Hopefully this will help you or anybody else that's considering building storage into that wasted space. The bolts on the floor are all T40 aside from the cargo tie-down T50 bolts. My build will be slow going due to lack of money, lol.