Ford Transit Connect Forum

Driver side sliding door fail 2014 LWB

bikinchris

Today, my drivers side sliding door failed. There is a spring loaded latch on the drivers side (nothing like it on the rh side!) that seems to have failed. Bad part is the door won't close. Now I have to tie it down and drive to the dealer to get them to order the part.

On the online diagram, it looks like it is called a wedge. Bummer.

bummer bikinchris. sorry to hear that.

Seems like someone on the Ford TC Facebook page posted the same issue recently

https://www.facebook.com/FordTransitConnectWagon/posts/849472255172824

for those not on facebook, below is a crude cut/paste

About to take mine in for the 2nd repair on the sliding door latch. Anyone else having problems?

Ford Service Hey Julia, As Charlie Brown would say; "oh brother". What is the year and mileage of your Transit Connect? I'm happy to look into this.

Sarah
Ford Service
  • 68078_10151104676331415_1104415005_n.jpg
    Julia Sampson Frankland 2014 with under 4k on it. It wasn't opening well - took it in for a different recall and had it 'fixed' Today when it opened the entire assembly on the receiving end of the latch stayed attached to the attaching end of the latch. Sadness. Taking it in tomorrow for visit #2 at the dealership.
  • 1922189_477097599058348_1164314264_n.jpg
    Ford Service Thanks for the quick reply, Julia!

I'm happy to have your concerns brought to your Regional Customer Care Team. Just PM your VIN, dealer info, and a daytime phone number.

Sarah
    Ford Service
  • 68078_10151104676331415_1104415005_n.jpg
    Julia Sampson Frankland Just sent - thanks.

Both our sliding doors (2014 LWB) have been very hard to open. At some point I noticed that the nylon roller that sits in the upper track had some material flaking off - like the roller was not sitting properly in the track. Also one of the spring-loaded receiver things in the B pillar that the door interfaces with in the closed position fell out. I just pushed it back into the pillar. (There are two of these in the B pillar, one at the top and one at the bottom of the B pillar. Sorry I don't know the right name for this part - is it a latch?)

We took the car in for service and they did some adjustments, apparently including adjusting the tracks themselves. The doors are now effortless to open and close. I don't know if this is related to the problem you are describing or not. The service writer seemed to think that the doors hadn't been properly adjusted at the factory.

I've had 3 of the 4 of them come apart, it's happened on both doors, the first time it happened I freaked out because the door wouldn't shut, then found out the spring was stuck on one of the pins on the door, took it off the pin & pushed it back together (2 didnt go back together right & are stuck in not flush like they were) the dealer supposedly ordered parts in July, told me they came in in September, went in, they couldn't find them & ordered them again......... it's now January. That and that weather stripping on the rear of the sliding doors keeps falling off... but the spring loaded receivers that make it so the doors dont shut when they come apart have me worried, they're just plastic.......

I've had 3 of the 4 of them come apart, it's happened on both doors, the first time it happened I freaked out because the door wouldn't shut, then found out the spring was stuck on one of the pins on the door, took it off the pin & pushed it back together (2 didnt go back together right & are stuck in not flush like they were) the dealer supposedly ordered parts in July, told me they came in in September, went in, they couldn't find them & ordered them again......... it's now January. That and that weather stripping on the rear of the sliding doors keeps falling off... but the spring loaded receivers that make it so the doors dont shut when they come apart have me worried, they're just plastic.......

GOT A PART # ?

mine did the same thing .................

a little dab of silicone sealant on that weatherstripe works great to keep in place

been there done that , as they say

Edited by mustang

I ordered two from the parts department at my local dealer. When they come in, I might order a few more.

Mustang,

If you go to www.fordparts.com you will find the part numbers and you can order them. type in your VIN number to go right to the correct section. Look in the body section for the "wedge" for the part needed.

Edited by bikinchris

What the service department told me this morning is that the part has been revised (wedge), and is backordered until March. Eh since it's covered under warranty I'll have service deal with it for now. They're replacing the weather strips. I kinda went ham on them yesterday when it didnt want to start (come on only 9F isn't that bad!) when it finally did start, the radio had turned itself on & the tim/date was froze... blah, I now have a rental & they're figuring out whats going on.

in the below pic you can see the door latch (center on the pillar)

I need the thing a ma jigs that are above and below it .

Both sliders have a broken 1 and a stuck one in the pillars

Doors still work and function fine .

10465234_696192513834133_907098473250304

On another note , my rear window wipers now usually swipe the rear glass at least once when you first start the van . and they are not even turned on . WTF !

and sometimes in the summer when you turn on the AC it blows hot air forever , won't start blowing cold air until you shut the van off and then restart . Then it works fine . doesn't happen all the time, but Once in a while it does .

Do these friggin things have Gremlins or what ?

Edited by mustang

The service advisor that is now assigned to me (LOL) said the weatherstrip falling off could be related to the wedges failing...... hmm.

doubtful

they are just slid into a very shallow recess to hold them in IIRC .

The one on my left door came out the first day I had the van . Driving down interstate and noticed it flapping in the breeze , just barely hanging on .

Sqirted a couple dabs of silicone behind it right there on side of road and has been good ever since .

That was well before the little spring thingys breaking .

I chalk it up to 1st year model run growing pains .