Ford Transit Connect Forum

Blind Spot Mirror

Got my Transit Connect just over a week ago replacing my E-350 service van. One of the first things I noticed was the blind spot on the drivers side. I noticed several small cars went totally out of view. When I got home I went on line looking for an add on mirror that wouldn't obscure the existing mirror's view and found the following:

http://www.amazon.com/Auxilary-Wide-Angle-Side-View-Mirror-Medium/dp/B000ALJYEW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Note the good reviews.

It appears to be glass and is adjustable. Here is a photo I took while sitting on the side of the road to show the advantage it gives (as you see I chose to mount on the bottom of the stock mirror as suggested by one of the reviewers) :

TransitMirror.jpg

I found a good You-tube of the same mirror sold under a different name. You can see how it mounts:

Hope this helps make your Transit driving safer.

Joe

Got my Transit Connect just over a week ago replacing my E-350 service van. One of the first things I noticed was the blind spot on the drivers side. I noticed several small cars went totally out of view. When I got home I went on line looking for an add on mirror that wouldn't obscure the existing mirror's view and found the following:

http://www.amazon.com/Auxilary-Wide-Angle-Side-View-Mirror-Medium/dp/B000ALJYEW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Note the good reviews.

It appears to be glass and is adjustable. Here is a photo I took while sitting on the side of the road to show the advantage it gives (as you see I chose to mount on the bottom of the stock mirror as suggested by one of the reviewers) :

TransitMirror.jpg

I found a good You-tube of the same mirror sold under a different name. You can see how it mounts:

Hope this helps make your Transit driving safer.

Joe

Very nice i have had the same issue

how is the wind noise

Edited by Flying Media

The mirrors have been a big help in the Atlanta traffic :) . The Transit rides like a car compared to my E-350; much quieter and smoother. I probably can't be a good judge of wind noise as every thing I have driven has had it. I wear a hearing aid and the Transit was a welcome relief compared to the rattles and squeaks in the 350. No rattles as I read on earlier forum posts.

Joe

Thanks for the find. I have been hunting for these specfic mirrors for a couple months. My neighbor has them on his car but doesn't remember where he got them.

I specfically like the idea that they are adjustable. All the other blind-spot mirriors I could find are not adjustable. I have a set of the larger ones on order.

OK, My mirrors came in. I ordered from a different supplier but they are from the same company (Hercules). I also got the larger size.

I spent 2 hours at a local AZ where a friend is the asst. manager. We carefully removed an example of every mirror they had in stock from the packaging and used scotch tape to check placement on my TC. Nothing he had gave me the vision that I needed. I needed some adjustable ones like my neighbor has on his Audi. But he didn't remember where he got them since he purchased the car in Germany and drove it in Europe for a year before shipping it stateside.

Here is a pic of them on the TC:

TCBMS1.jpg

This is the view from the drivers seat. The closest brick post is 3" from the truck and even with the rear wheel so It should take care of any blind spot I had.

TCBMS2.jpg

• 4 months later...

Interesting. I just popped over to ebay.co.uk and it looks like the 2009-2011 EURO transit got the same shitty mirrors we did. Bummer. The 2002-2008 version got the sweet blind spot mirrors like 'connect owner UK' posted. Now I am not so certain the earlier ones will work on our transits.

According to the photo's on my local ford dealer website, as well, as the brochure, we still have the original mirror fitted to the 2010 model.

You can spot the difference, the UK mirror is upright, vertical, where the US version is horizontal.

The listings for the mirror in the UK, indicate it will fit 2002 onwards, which to me, reads that it will fit all.

However, I am not an expert on any differences in the body mouldings between the euro and US market vehicles.

BUT, studying some high res pics of the US version, I cannot see any difference on the mirror mounts.

UK 2010 dealer site

Edited by Connect owner UK

Oh yes, and one benefit on the UK mirrors, is that you can obtain chrome covers for them.

I did a search on the US ebay site for connect stuff, and there is a guy in china, or hong kong, that advertises these for the US connect, BUT, they are the euro shape ones, and I dont think the guy realises that the US TC does not use the euro mirrors.

Just a heads up, in case someone wants to order some chrome covers, to check first. :doh:

UK,

Could you tell us whether the mirrors you show are electrically adjusted and/or heated. I figure that it must be one, or both, since there is a pig-tail in the picture.

I'm also curious as to whether the basic mirrors are flat, with the addition of the fish-eyes underneath, or is your passenger side mirror slightly convex, as well. This would be helpful information for us, as it would determine whether we could order replacements from the UK or the continent.

Thanks for the help!

Raj

UK,

Could you tell us whether the mirrors you show are electrically adjusted and/or heated. I figure that it must be one, or both, since there is a pig-tail in the picture.

I'm also curious as to whether the basic mirrors are flat, with the addition of the fish-eyes underneath, or is your passenger side mirror slightly convex, as well. This would be helpful information for us, as it would determine whether we could order replacements from the UK or the continent.

Thanks for the help!

Raj

Hi Raj,

oddly enough, my TC has not got remote mirrors at all, must be a basic van mine, but the LX version does have electric remote and heated mirrors.

Also, mine had convex mirrors on both sides, thats normal view and blind spot, but as I have not studied any other TC's, I dont know if thats how they come as standard.

This, I will have to look into.

I know when I had my Kangoo van, it had a convex on the passenger side, but a flat one on the drivers side, but the 2 times the drivers one got hit by a passing motorist, I could only get a convex stick-on replacement from the accesory stores. (it would have cost an arm and a leg to get an original one from Renault. It cost me $330 to get a remote key from them)

So, I am unsure of whether the mirrors have a flat one as standard, I will try to fine out.

Here is a link to ebay UK for connect mirrors in general.

UK ebay

Edited by Connect owner UK

Well, according to one person who sells a replacement "FLAT" glass for the mirrors,

quote,

"This mirror is flat and gives a 1 - 1 rear view as opposed to the standard convex mirror which gives a distorted view of what's behind.

This means that things may appear larger than you would be used to but is in fact a true reflection."

So I can assume that the mirrors do come with convex (fish eye) glass in all appertures.

I too have been coveting the UK mirrors with the lower, blind-spot section. I have the electrically operated (but not heated) USA model mirrors. I added a clip-on like the one at the beginning of this thread, and it's OK, but could be a lot better. It's biggest weakness is that it is sensitive to vibration, which blurs the image.

I looked at all the mirrors on UK eBay, but it really isn't clear that it would be plug-and-play on our US models, and by the time one paid for shipping it would be an expensive gamble. Sure would like something like that, though...

Oh thats good news UK.

RLSCHOW, it might be an expensive gamble but worst case scenario you have a mirror that you have to push with your thumb to adjust. May be a pain but I find that. Once I put my mirrors where I need them I don't really ever adjust them.

I'd say give it a try! :idea:

• 6 months later...

The 2011 Transit connect has built in blind spot mirrors. I love them. My 2010 did not have them. You could most likely have your 2010 mirrors replaced with the 2011 ones. They look so much better than any "add on" mirror. and they will not create added drag reducing fuel economy.

I looked at some T/C's on dealer lots, and they're all equipped with built in spot mirrors. These are '11 vehicles. Maybe there was a lot of complaints about the big blind spots. I've had those little spot mirrors on my cars for years. They've saved me a couple of times.

• 3 months later...

The 2011 Transit connect has built in blind spot mirrors. I love them. My 2010 did not have them. You could most likely have your 2010 mirrors replaced with the 2011 ones. They look so much better than any "add on" mirror. and they will not create added drag reducing fuel economy.

Hi 5axman,

I'v been unable to find a pic of the 2011 built in blind spot mirrors like yours, and the local dealership only has models without. Do you have a link, or a pic of yours that you could send me?

I'm particularly interested in knowing if they're the horizontal version like mine without the added blind-spot mirror, or more vertical like the Euro/UK version?

I'm particularly interested in knowing if they're the horizontal version like mine without the added blind-spot mirror, or more vertical like the Euro/UK version?

ScottD, If you look in the photo section you will find 5axman's T.C. photos. There is one photo of my red 2011 T.C. which shows the rear doors open and the drivers side shown. You can click on the picture to enlarge it. I know it's kind of hard to see but the spotter mirror is in the top outside corner of the mirror. It does not move when you adjust the main mirror with the mirror control. There are spotter mirrors on both sides of the truck. Although they may seem small i find them most useful.

• 6 months later...