Ford Transit Connect Forum

Rear Heating Problems, 2014 Transit Connect LWB Titanium

mrgone

I test drove two 2016 TC Wagons one in Titanium trim and XLT trim. It's about 25 degrees out today. As we test drove the first car my daughter in the very rear complained of it being cold. After driving for 20 minutes the cabin finally heated up from the front console but the air from the floor vents in 2nd row and pillar vents still blew cold. The vents in the 3rd row also blew cold. I was wondering if anyone in this thread was able to find a solution on their own or provided one by the dealership. The wagon was everything we are looking for in a vehicle for our growing family but I can't have my kiddos freezing...

Here is what I found in the rear heat issue

On 3/23/2015 at 0:46 PM, G B L said:

As a follow up I did a test run with the car this morning . The starting temp outside was 10 degrees F.

Set the front heater on fan speed 3 and temp control high . The rear fan was on 2 and the temp control on high after a ten minute run the heat coming out of the B pillar vent was good

I also found that the vent hook up on the passinger side under the seat might be good . when it is on the duct correctly then there is good heat for the passengers feet.

The Rear heater gets most of the warm air from the front heater supplied through the duct.

Hope this helps some one.

The other thing I found is that both floor ducts that come out under the seat are not installed correctly and should be checked.

The last thing I found on my XLT was a missing jumper duct on the passenger side.

On 9/27/2015 at 7:55 PM, G B L said:

The temperature of the water going to the heater core is at engine temperature [200+degrees] hot enough to cause a severe burn!!!
Found out why the right side rear heat is not as good as the left side rear heat the transition duct from the heater to the floor duct is missing
so the hot air just ends up in the console area. This explains the lack of heat in the back on the right side.
It also explains console area gets very hot.
For you folks with work vans if the heater for the back heat is not correctly blocked, then the heat will dump in the console area when the
heat setting is to the floor.
You might check and see if you feel air blowing out around the edges of the console. That is how I found the location of the missing duct.

Now I have to see what the dealer is going to do.

I think that when the duct is correctly installed the rear heat in the TC will be fine, Just in time for winter in Crazy cold Vermont!!

On 10/2/2015 at 4:47 PM, G B L said:

Update Decided not to wait for a service appointment

Ordered the duct from ford $5.42 Installed it today airflow to rear good now

It also made the console temperature to moderate.

I am wondering if the work vans have the heater vents under the seats

Right heat duct small with text.jpgRight heat duct small.jpg

The end result was good heat for the second row and fair heat in the third row.

The upper vents in the third row are shut off when the rear  heat is on high.  The Rear control must be on high to maximize the heat.

The last thing is to keep the Air filter to the rear heater clean. Hope this helps

• 11 months later...

It has been a while since I wrote in this forum. 2017 is taking its last breath. Here is what has happened in all that time...NOTHING. Obviously, Ford does not read its forums. I still have no rear seat heat. Also, to make matters even more disappointing, I've been involved in at least four recalls; power steering pump, door latches, sun roof and more. The sun roof was interesting. Mine was leaking and rattling and making all sorts of musical whistling sounds. It took my Ford dealership a month to get the parts. They broke the window trying to remove it (I think it is a $3200.00 piece of glass). Since they "fixed" it, the sunroof cover neither extends or retracts. I took it back to them after making a service appointment. Now the material hangs down like an unglued headliner. I live way out in the country where the Ford dealers have F-150s on the first two rows of their lots. The rest are SUVs and program cars. My dealer had never seen a Transit Connect before (I bought it elsewhere as I was guaranteed at least a six-month wait to get it). I know none of the mechanics had ever seen one. I really want to love this vehicle but I sincerely doubt its longevity. So, I am trying to find even a brochure on the 2018s as perhaps there might be a fix. I cannot find any information on the 2018 Transit Connect. I'd really like to see a 2018. I'd trade my 2014 Titanium for a new one tomorrow if I could be sure a fix was implemented; not only for the heat but for the rubber strips behind the windows that continue to fall off, and a sunroof fix, and bad door latches, etc. I am acutely aware that no vehicle is perfect and some problems will arise but Ford needs to address the issues and either re-engineer some systems or stop selling the vehicle in this country. I am very disappointed with Ford's response (non-existent). The saga continues...

10 hours ago, mrgone said:

It has been a while since I wrote in this forum. 2017 is taking its last breath. Here is what has happened in all that time...NOTHING. Obviously, Ford does not read its forums. I still have no rear seat heat. Also, to make matters even more disappointing, I've been involved in at least four recalls; power steering pump, door latches, sun roof and more. The sun roof was interesting. Mine was leaking and rattling and making all sorts of musical whistling sounds. It took my Ford dealership a month to get the parts. They broke the window trying to remove it (I think it is a $3200.00 piece of glass). Since they "fixed" it, the sunroof cover neither extends or retracts. I took it back to them after making a service appointment. Now the material hangs down like an unglued headliner. I live way out in the country where the Ford dealers have F-150s on the first two rows of their lots. The rest are SUVs and program cars. My dealer had never seen a Transit Connect before (I bought it elsewhere as I was guaranteed at least a six-month wait to get it). I know none of the mechanics had ever seen one. I really want to love this vehicle but I sincerely doubt its longevity. So, I am trying to find even a brochure on the 2018s as perhaps there might be a fix. I cannot find any information on the 2018 Transit Connect. I'd really like to see a 2018. I'd trade my 2014 Titanium for a new one tomorrow if I could be sure a fix was implemented; not only for the heat but for the rubber strips behind the windows that continue to fall off, and a sunroof fix, and bad door latches, etc. I am acutely aware that no vehicle is perfect and some problems will arise but Ford needs to address the issues and either re-engineer some systems or stop selling the vehicle in this country. I am very disappointed with Ford's response (non-existent). The saga continues...

Sorry to hear your problems have grown and are unresolved. Hope you get things resolved.

On 9/27/2015 at 4:55 PM, G B L said:

The temperature of the water going to the heater core is at engine temperature [200+degrees] hot enough to cause a severe burn!!!
Found out why the right side rear heat is not as good as the left side rear heat the transition duct from the heater to the floor duct is missing
so the hot air just ends up in the console area. This explains the lack of heat in the back on the right side.
It also explains console area gets very hot.
For you folks with work vans if the heater for the back heat is not correctly blocked, then the heat will dump in the console area when the
heat setting is to the floor.
You might check and see if you feel air blowing out around the edges of the console. That is how I found the location of the missing duct.

Now I have to see what the dealer is going to do.

I think that when the duct is correctly installed the rear heat in the TC will be fine, Just in time for winter in Crazy cold Vermont!!

Been meaning to make a post to this thread. What GBL said is all very true. As reported a few pages back, the center console on my cargo van got super hot when the heater was blasting.

I first reported this to my service advisor asking if there were any TSB's or SSM's. Maybe it was too early in the Gen 2 life cycle or she just ignored my request.

In March 2017, I brought the van in for regular service and asked that they look at this issue again. What they found was the heater vent was missing a duct cover. GBL was spot on.

The part used was DT1Z-19D809-A  Connector - Duct - CCS. Repair work done under TSB 150094 under the b-to-b warranty. Appreciate GBL's input in diagnosing this problem.

• 4 weeks later...

@windguyI would like to know where you came up with the TSB?  I am having a hell of a time finding anything TSB related.  My TC's rear heat does not work as well as I think it should, like the rest of you.  I would like to have a talk to my service adviser about this issue.

The rear heater on the wagon  has a booster heater  that raises the temp of the Air supplied under the Left Front seat by the front air controller.  It works best on cold days it the air is mostly sent to the floor in the front with the temp control on both the front and rear heaters on high.  The Vents behind the second seat for the third row are disabled in the heading mode.

The Rear unit has a separate evaporator for the Air conditioner.  Ford was more interested in the Rear cooling than the heating.  

There is a high output booster heater that is an option mostly for the Taxi version. 

If I knew what I know now and made a special order TC I would option that in.

With the controls set the way I outlined the Rear heat is completely adequate.

On 12/13/2017 at 12:39 PM, Kirk said:

@windguyI would like to know where you came up with the TSB?  I am having a hell of a time finding anything TSB related.  My TC's rear heat does not work as well as I think it should, like the rest of you.  I would like to have a talk to my service adviser about this issue.

I think GBL answered your question as it relates to a wagon model. My TC is a cargo model = no rear heating.

• 2 years later...

I just purchased a brand new 2020 Ford Transit Wagon. After 4 days, I returned it to the dealer for no heat in the rear of the vehicle. I received the same old story.  I am livid beyond belief that I paid so much for a vehicle that doesn’t give heat. NEVER MEVER NEVER AGAIN, will I buy a Ford!  

How about an old VW gas heater like they had in the vans?

<FLASHBACK>

Had an old bug with rotted manifold heaters. Those boxes weren't all that good even when perfect, and I got more heat out of farts. Dug around and found an old van gas heater figuring to mount it up in the trunk and run ductwork to the  glovebox. Plan was to just run the exhaust out the side wall of the trunk, and I hooked up a contact switch so all you had to do was open the glove box door to fire it up. I also added a standard floor register behind the door so I could aim the heat as needed. That worked, but ...

Here I am a bit later, sitting at a light (toasty and warm I might add) and the heater fires up, belching a column of black smoke at a little old lady waiting at the corner for a bus. Dang near gave her a heart attack it did.

Plan B ... put an elbow on the pipe and ran an extension straight up. A short extension didn't work that well as the soot on the windshield didn't help visibility much, so ended up with a couple feet of pipe to clear the top of the roof. Either way, that vertical pipe collected rain and drowned the heater.

Plan C ... put a flapper on the top of the pipe ... that actually worked until I killed the bug. You think UDF is a thing? I invented VW-WTF with that setup.

** Fun way to pass the time - tell a passenger to open the glove box door, and watch them jump when that heater started belching BTUs in their face ... priceless!

</FLASHBACK>

... so anyway ... maybe not such a good idea after all. Forget I mentioned it ...  ;-}

Edited by sKiZo

6 hours ago, Beth said:

I just purchased a brand new 2020 Ford Transit Wagon

Does your Wagon have the rear heat and Ac setup?

If it does the best heat will be with the front heat set to the floor and the rear on 3  with the temp nob all the way to the red.

With this set up you will find that you will get enough heat in the rear of the TC. 

The heat is not overwhelming  but it will be adequate.