Ford Transit Connect Forum

New ecoboost TC

TurboCargo

I always have preferred a manual transmission where possible. However this 6-speed auto does a great job. First gear is quite low to get you off the line smartly and the others are well spaced. Uphill is never a problem. Manual shifting responds a little slowly for my taste but the auto is sensitive to throttle adjustments so I can shift with my right foot. With the 93 octane tune I have been running for a while now tranny shifts are near/at redline at full throttle and very firm. I can't see shifting any better myself manually so I usually leave it in D. In normal cruising/light throttle shifts are not as firm, feels like stock. One thing you must get used to is full throttle shifts under boost can send you into the next lane (torque steer) if you are not careful.

As far as the exhaust goes, when we got her up on the lift at the muffler shop the stock system is very high quality- all stainless (not just aluminized) and mandrel bent from the looks of it. So I just wanted to replace that huge resonator. My shop happened to have some leftover stainless 2 1/2" pipe he cut to fit. I think he charged me $75. I drove it for a week but it sounded almost stock, too quiet. So the muffler was next. It is an odd beast, a single side inlet with a single exit on the same side, transverse mounted. The only low restriction unit I found that would fit is the Magnaflow 14210. Luckily it is all polished stainless steel, slightly shorter case than the factory muffler but the factory hangers can be encouraged to fit. The sound? Magnaflow promises a deep tone and they were right. Leaving the muff shop I was a little disappointed that it was still too quiet. However after a few miles you will definitely notice a nice deep note. After 10,000 miles on this I am very happy. It is not loud or "farty" but sounds just right for me-fairly quiet at part throttle but it gets more aggressive when you do. You do not need to buy an expensive "cat-back" system just replace the restrictive parts.

As far as the exhaust goes, when we got her up on the lift at the muffler shop the stock system is very high quality- all stainless (not just aluminized) and mandrel bent from the looks of it. So I just wanted to replace that huge resonator. My shop happened to have some leftover stainless 2 1/2" pipe he cut to fit. I think he charged me $75. I drove it for a week but it sounded almost stock, too quiet. So the muffler was next. It is an odd beast, a single side inlet with a single exit on the same side, transverse mounted. The only low restriction unit I found that would fit is the Magnaflow 14210. Luckily it is all polished stainless steel, slightly shorter case than the factory muffler but the factory hangers can be encouraged to fit. The sound? Magnaflow promises a deep tone and they were right. Leaving the muff shop I was a little disappointed that it was still too quiet. However after a few miles you will definitely notice a nice deep note. After 10,000 miles on this I am very happy. It is not loud or "farty" but sounds just right for me-fairly quiet at part throttle but it gets more aggressive when you do. You do not need to buy an expensive "cat-back" system just replace the restrictive parts.

how is your MPG?

I drive a 50/50 mix of highway and stop and go on my medical supply delivery route, which is the same route every day so my mileage is very consistent. Before the mods I was averaging 24.9 mpg ; 10,000 miles later LT avg. has crept up to 25.6. I don't give the mods the credit for the increase but they certainly have not hurt mpg.

• 1 year later...