Ford Transit Connect Forum

New ecoboost TC

TurboCargo

Hey Folks

Just trying to see if there are any other ecoboost owners out there. I was lucky enough to get one of the first 2014 cargo vans in this area with the 1.6 turbo and I LOVE IT ! This van thinks it is a sports car, and I am averaging 25 mpg overall. Having owned a few turbocharged and supercharged cars in the past, my natural impulse has me thinking about increasing intake and exhaust efficiency....any ideas?

TurboCargo

Jacksonville Fl

Hey Folks

Just trying to see if there are any other ecoboost owners out there. I was lucky enough to get one of the first 2014 cargo vans in this area with the 1.6 turbo and I LOVE IT ! This van thinks it is a sports car, and I am averaging 25 mpg overall. Having owned a few turbocharged and supercharged cars in the past, my natural impulse has me thinking about increasing intake and exhaust efficiency....any ideas?

TurboCargo

Jacksonville Fl

Welcome to the forum probably you are the first 1.6L engine version TC owner

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

How is the ecoboost engine in this van? I really want to buy one. How does it drive with the eps? Shift good uphill? Slow uphill? Any feed back will be appreciated since i cannot find videos of this van with the ecoboost on youtube.

How is the ecoboost engine in this van? I really want to buy one. How does it drive with the eps? Shift good uphill? Slow uphill? Any feed back will be appreciated since i cannot find videos of this van with the ecoboost on youtube.

I have the 2.5 L version long base TC if i were you i would not pay extra for the 1.6t

The TC is great little van but gas mileage kind of sucks in city (New York) 18 is the best but mostly 16-¹7.

It is disappointing while in Europe they getting 40/gallon on a diesel engine.

How messd up that is they don't let us have that option.

I have the 2.5 L version long base TC if i were you i would not pay extra for the 1.6t

The TC is great little van but gas mileage kind of sucks in city (New York) 18 is the best but mostly 16-¹7.

It is disappointing while in Europe they getting 40/gallon on a diesel engine.

How messd up that is they don't let us have that option.

you must have a lead foot ? Or NY state sells you guys some really shitty quality gas .

Here in NH , in town is a lot of hills ,constantly up and down hills .

My gas mileage still averages 23.5 for combined driving .

2014 Connect LWB Cargo van XLT w/2.5 liter .

I agree though get the 2.5 liter , the ecoboost can't do what the big dog does for towing power .

speaking of which the only times my gas numbers are as low as Johny guy's I've got 2000 lbs worth of trailer attached to it's ass .

and I still get 17-19 mpg

you must have a lead foot ? Or NY state sells you guys some really shitty quality gas .

Here in NH , in town is a lot of hills ,constantly up and down hills .

My gas mileage still averages 23.5 for combined driving .

2014 Connect LWB Cargo van XLT w/2.5 liter .

I agree though get the 2.5 liter , the ecoboost can't do what the big dog does for towing power .

speaking of which the only times my gas numbers are as low as Johny guy's I've got 2000 lbs worth of trailer attached to it's ass .

and I still get 17-19 mpg

Maybe you don't understand New York City traffic its stop and go and i don't drive fast or have a lead foot there is a other member on this forum who also from NY city getting similar 17-18 MPG so its not made up by me.!

Oh I know all about stop and go ..........

one of my routes is 27 stop lights in 10 miles .

you guys are getting screwed by NY , your gas probably has more clean burn shit in it than actual gasoline !

I don't know but is annoying to have such a low MPG in a small van like this i don't know what the dealer could do about it.

My 2003 Honda minivan had same mpg with a 3.5 v6.

Yea that sucks boston is stop and go to. One person said with the 1.6 with 1000 lbs they get 25 mpg. But heres also why id like it i know its small and will have to work harder but it has a bit more power and all i have to do is wait for the fiesta st to have upgrades and put them on the tc. Id also like to make some csrbon fiber parts for this. And mustang where in nh are you? Im thinking of moving to berlin but guys thanks alot though for the feed back. Is the tc good or bad uphills? Does it shift good and how is the manual shifter??

Yea that sucks boston is stop and go to. One person said with the 1.6 with 1000 lbs they get 25 mpg. But heres also why id like it i know its small and will have to work harder but it has a bit more power and all i have to do is wait for the fiesta st to have upgrades and put them on the tc. Id also like to make some csrbon fiber parts for this. And mustang where in nh are you? Im thinking of moving to berlin but guys thanks alot though for the feed back. Is the tc good or bad uphills? Does it shift good and how is the manual shifter??

Its sometimes hard shift to 2nd or maybe its 2nd to 3rd but you will get use to it and it can be avoided if you adjust your driving habits

I think all TC have it otherwise it is a snappy little van. Automatic here.

Yea their auto but dont they have a manual shift mode? 6 speed youd think its smooth. Idk ive looked at this the nissan nv200 and dodge city and the ford is a better deal for 1k 2k more. The dodge has a 9 speed auto and 17 18 combined youd think itd b higher with a 9 speed but it has no power 120 hp and same tq. The nissan has no power either and its a 6 speed to or 5. But the tc can hold more 1710lbs. And has the most space also inside.

Yea their auto but dont they have a manual shift mode? 6 speed youd think its smooth. Idk ive looked at this the nissan nv200 and dodge city and the ford is a better deal for 1k 2k more. The dodge has a 9 speed auto and 17 18 combined youd think itd b higher with a 9 speed but it has no power 120 hp and same tq. The nissan has no power either and its a 6 speed to or 5. But the tc can hold more 1710lbs. And has the most space also inside.

it dont come in manual in the states i heard the nissan is same on gas as the TC i think the TC looks better and bigger bigger tires as well i think it has plenty power for its size the transmission is smooth enough just sometimes rough to 3rd or 2nd but it can be avoided depends on how you drive it

I also have the 1.6L Ecoboost engine. I'm still in the break in period, but so far I really like it.

This is my first automatic car, so I was a bit worried about the torque/power but it moves pretty well. Oh and yes, I still occaisionally try to push down on that immaginary clutch ;)

I now have 30,000 miles on my TC.

I am so glad I paid extra for the turbo. Don't get me wrong, the 2.5 is an excellent engine; I very much enjoyed my 2010 Mazda CX-7 sport with this motor. I test drove a TC with the 2.5 and it was fine. I wanted a loaded cargo van and it was hard to find the options I wanted. Then the salesman found this one but it had the turbo and alloy wheels. They made me a deal and when I test drove it I could not believe the torque from 1500 rpm up. Although the hp/torque numbers seem close between the 2 engines on paper, there is no comparison in the "fun to drive" factor once you get this puppy in boost. That was stock. At 20,000 miles I replaced the factory resonator with a straight pipe. I also replaced the factory muffler with a magnaflow 14210 which retains all factory pipes and hangers. I also installed a K&N 57-S-4000 cold air intake designed for the 2.0 EB Focus but fits the 1.6 TC perfectly. The exhaust is actually still fairly quiet but has a very nice deep tone. With the K&N installed you can not only hear some turbo whistle but also the "blow-off" when you back out of the throttle. This made a nice difference you can feel (a little). So the next step was to reprogram to computer to take advantage of the less restrictive exhaust and intake. That made a HUGE difference. More on that later if there is any interest.