Ford Transit Connect Forum

Disable Perimeter Lighting

Daedalus1

I can't believe that this is true... There must be some way to program a module, or some other workaround. I am an amateur astronomer, and if I am camping at a dark sky site any lights are absolutely forbidden after dark. This is a real problem for me, and anyone else who needs their vehicle to remain dark. I hope that someone can come up with a solution.

I can't believe that this is true... There must be some way to program a module, or some other workaround. I am an amateur astronomer, and if I am camping at a dark sky site any lights are absolutely forbidden after dark. This is a real problem for me, and anyone else who needs their vehicle to remain dark. I hope that someone can come up with a solution.

There is certainly a work around to most things. I just don't think there is a Ford way to fix it.

I would suggest installing a toggle switch on the fuse that runs the lights.

Thanks, but this is a new car. I'm loathe to start cutting wires and drilling holes on a new vehicle until all other options have been exhausted. My own mechanic suggested the same thing. I'll give some time to come up with a solution, then fire up the cutting torches and diagonal wire cutters...

All the exterior perimeter lights illuminate when any door is opened on my 2014 van. How can I disable this feature?

perhaps you can reach out to Ford Service through the Ford TC Facebook page.

There are several Ford employees that monitor that site. Worth a shot.

https://www.facebook.com/FordTransitConnectWagon

BTW - I was always curious to see a picture of Daedalus, interesting.

didn't realize he was a cigar smoker. seemed more of the pipe type to me ;)

PS - don't forget to post some pics of your van, perhaps in your own Gallery :camera:

perhaps you can reach out to Ford Service through the Ford TC Facebook page.

There are several Ford employees that monitor that site. Worth a shot.

https://www.facebook.com/FordTransitConnectWagon

BTW - I was always curious to see a picture of Daedalus, interesting.

didn't realize he was a cigar smoker. seemed more of the pipe type to me ;)

PS - don't forget to post some pics of your van, perhaps in your own Gallery :camera:

"And a million surplus Maggies are willing to bear the yoke,

And a woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.

Rudyard Kipling, "The Betrothed"

I have a new Silver Metallic LWB van (2 seater), no windows. I will use it to bring my telescope equipment to "Star Parties", astronomical dark sky sites. Lights after dark are absolutely not allowed!!

I have contacted Ford through the Customer Service website. They promise to contact the dealership to help provide a solution to my dilemma. We'll see... but thanks for the suggestion.

All the exterior perimeter lights illuminate when any door is opened on my 2014 van. How can I disable this feature?

I agree this is very annoying always comes on when I open a door than drains the battery if you doing things in the car going back and forth comes on for no reason.....I like to turn it off as well just like auto lock but at least you can turn that option off

Well, Guys, Ford called me to follow up on my inquiry. They say that there is absolutely no resolution to my problem. The perimeter lighting with any door opening is a design feature that is working as designed on my vehicle, and there is no means by which it can be disabled without modifying the electrical system in some unorthodox way. It cannot be disabled by programming.

I am looking elsewhere to modify the system in some way to perhaps provide some working solution. Too bad.

sorry to hear that.

what do other people do that show up to these events with their vehicle lights?

since I don't have a van yet, which lights come on when you open the doors?

which doors control them - driver, passenger, sliders, rear?

like your color choice, same as mine :thumbsup:

I don't know. I have not seen this happen before, and I haven't been to a star party with this question in mind. My friends tell me that this is too new a feature, and that in previous models the programming could disable it.

This seems not to be related to the security alarm system. When you open any door on your vehicle all the exterior lights (except for headlights and in bumper foglamps) illuminate. All of them: parking lamps, turn signals, backup lights, all. And they stay on, as far as I can tell, until all the doors on the vehicle are closed. It has been suggested that there is a ten minute time limit, but that is reset when any door is closed and reopened.

I have to find a way to modify the electrical system, perhaps by having a switch of some kind, installed. At this point, I'm not sure if that is possible.

By the way, I have a LWB van, a stock XLT. I love it! It handles well, it is comfortable, the doors are huge, and the 2.5L engine seems adequate. Very good gas milage, and will serve my purpose very well once I get the lighting modified.

Good luck!

sorry to hear that.

what do other people do that show up to these events with their vehicle lights?

since I don't have a van yet, which lights come on when you open the doors?

which doors control them - driver, passenger, sliders, rear?

like your color choice, same as mine :thumbsup:

thanks for the input.

that lighting scenario is whacked. I'm missing the benefit of having those lights come on when any door is opened.

It would be great to talk to someone on the Ford design team to find out the logic behind this.

We need an inside Ford person on this forum to help us with issues like this. You would think one of them would be interested (curious) how end users like their product and use the feedback to enhance their future designs or make mods. I would if I was part of this team.

hope you can find a solution to this. keep us posted

regarding your van config, glad to hear you're happy with that. a small cargo van has a lot of benefits.

The logic is simple and has existed in most cars since the early 2000's...

It's a safety feature.

If you're in a dark neighborhood and walking away from or two your vehicle, it reduces the risk of someone trying to harm you or take the vehicle.

I worked on a mid 90's Dodge that had a similar function.

Unfortunately, astronomers are not their normal use case.

One could argue that point, I suppose, if one is a homicidal maniac who can't work in the dark.

I'm joking, of course.

I had a 2007 Jeep Patriot. It had an exterior lighting disable function. I also had a 2007 Dodge Ram "four by". It, too, had a disabling method. That's so one can temporarily disable the exterior lighting function when appropriate, such as campsites, star parties, drive ins, etc. Not to be able to temporarily disable this feature is problematic for me.

My son suggested I visit an automobile security system or sound system installer. That's not a bad idea, and I will do that soon.

The logic is simple and has existed in most cars since the early 2000's...

It's a safety feature.

If you're in a dark neighborhood and walking away from or two your vehicle, it reduces the risk of someone trying to harm you or take the vehicle.

I worked on a mid 90's Dodge that had a similar function.

Unfortunately, astronomers are not their normal use case.

Hello Daedalus1,try this, it works on the Ford Fusion and Lincoln MKZ. Deactivating/activating perimeter lamps illuminated entry
You may enable/disable this feature by having your vehicle serviced by
your authorized dealer.
You may also perform the following power door lock sequence to
enable/disable the perimeter lamps feature. Note: Before starting, ensure
the ignition is in the 1 (LOCK) position and all vehicle doors are closed.
You must complete Steps 1–5 within 30 seconds or the procedure will
have to be repeated. If the procedure needs to be repeated, wait a
minimum of 30 seconds before beginning again.
1. Place the key in the ignition and
turn the ignition to the 3 (RUN)
position.
2. Press the power door unlock
control on the door panel three
times.
3. Turn the ignition from the 3
(RUN) position to the 1 (LOCK)
position.
4. Press the power door unlock control on the door panel three times.
5. Turn the ignition back to the 3 (RUN) position. The horn will chirp
one time to confirm programming mode has been entered and is active.
6. Press the power door unlock control twice within 5 seconds. Note:
The horn will chirp once to indicate the perimeter lighting feature has
been deactivated. The horn will chirp once and honk once (one short
and one long) to indicate the perimeter lighting feature has been
activated.
7. Turn the ignition to the 1 (LOCK) position to exit the procedure.
Note: The horn will chirp once to confirm the procedure is complete.

Let us know.

Thanks for your suggestion. I actually tried the very same procedure just after my first contact with Ford. (It is in various Ford truck forums.)

I'm convinced that there is no option other than modification. Too bad, but not nearly fatal, you know? I'm happy with my choice of vehicle type, and I really like Transit Connect. So, I'll post my solution when the problem is solved. I will, however continue to solicit suggestions.

Thanks, everyone.

Tony

Hello Daedalus1,try this, it works on the Ford Fusion and Lincoln MKZ. Deactivating/activating perimeter lamps illuminated entry

You may enable/disable this feature by having your vehicle serviced by

your authorized dealer.

You may also perform the following power door lock sequence to

enable/disable the perimeter lamps feature. Note: Before starting, ensure

the ignition is in the 1 (LOCK) position and all vehicle doors are closed.

You must complete Steps 1–5 within 30 seconds or the procedure will

have to be repeated. If the procedure needs to be repeated, wait a

minimum of 30 seconds before beginning again.

1. Place the key in the ignition and

turn the ignition to the 3 (RUN)

position.

2. Press the power door unlock

control on the door panel three

times.

3. Turn the ignition from the 3

(RUN) position to the 1 (LOCK)

position.

4. Press the power door unlock control on the door panel three times.

5. Turn the ignition back to the 3 (RUN) position. The horn will chirp

one time to confirm programming mode has been entered and is active.

6. Press the power door unlock control twice within 5 seconds. Note:

The horn will chirp once to indicate the perimeter lighting feature has

been deactivated. The horn will chirp once and honk once (one short

and one long) to indicate the perimeter lighting feature has been

activated.

7. Turn the ignition to the 1 (LOCK) position to exit the procedure.

Note: The horn will chirp once to confirm the procedure is complete.

Let us know.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

I went over to an auto stereo and alarm company to see if they could isolate the door switches, thereby preventing the perimeter lights from illuminating when camping. The company was Sound FX. They told me it could be done. They would put a camping switch in the dashboard that would isolate the doors. Cost? 6 to 8 hours @ $75/hour.

Yes, that's right...$600!!

New plan: i will disconnect the headlight connectors and tape red gelatin sheet over the rear license plate lighting.

That's 10 minutes @ $0/ hour.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

I went over to an auto stereo and alarm company to see if they could isolate the door switches, thereby preventing the perimeter lights from illuminating when camping. The company was Sound FX. They told me it could be done. They would put a camping switch in the dashboard that would isolate the doors. Cost? 6 to 8 hours @ $75/hour.

Yes, that's right...$600!!

New plan: i will disconnect the headlight connectors and tape red gelatin sheet over the rear license plate lighting.

That's 10 minutes @ $0/ hour.

Keep us posted, and take some pictures if others want to follow in your footsteps ;)

@daedalus

It's good you are exploring your options.

6-8 hours seems like a long time to do that job. That would be the extreme worst case

To me, perhaps two hours. An hour to find the right wire and an hour to install the switch.

I guess it depends on how much time it takes to remove coverings below the dash. That's an unknown to me.

I like your idea of covering the lights as a temporary fix. I had a similar idea using windshield tinting material that's removable. My wife uses this material on car windows to reduce glare and on a bright clock radio. Easy to put on and take off. see the link for an example. There are different grades. Go for the darkest. No taping involved if you can get it to stick okay to a non-flat surface.

http://www.amazon.com/Gila-JS246-Static-Control-Automotive/dp/B00062YZXU/ref=pd_sim_auto_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1AWRZTYRF5T1SF7P9DRR

I'd be a bit wary of removing a connector if you're doing it often. That may cause more problems than it's intended for.

hopefully in the future you can find a more permanent solution. getting a wiring diagram for the van would be helpful. good luck!