Ford Transit Connect Forum

Disable Perimeter Lighting

Daedalus1

12 hours ago, '14 Connect said:

What I'm looking for is possibly the correct and permanent way of turning off the perimeter lights while a door is open. I'm hoping this can be done from inside the cabin by maybe pushing a few buttons

Nope. It can be done. There's 1 way to do it.  You have to get a software update.  Then the computer can be reprogrammed.  While you are already at the dealership, let them do it. Unless you enjoy doing it yourself.

taking it to the dealership to be hooked up to a computer to download/upload software to alter the electrical system

Unfortunately, that's step 1.

pissing on a spark plug while holding a candle 

I gained 3 horsepower, and now get 36 MPG

26 minutes ago, Fifty150 said:

Nope. It can be done. There's 1 way to do it.  You have to get a software update.  Then the computer can be reprogrammed.  While you are already at the dealership, let them do it. Unless you enjoy doing it yourself.

Unfortunately, that's step 1.

I gained 3 horsepower, and now get 36 MPG

Probably wont get around to taking it to the dealership as I'm sure that wouldn't be cheap in any way shape or form.. Who knows maybe I'll call them one day to see...

On 1/13/2020 at 9:54 AM, '14 Connect said:

or taking it to the dealership to be hooked up to a computer to download/upload software to alter the electrical system, I'm not interested in any of that.

Then enjoy your lights coming on, because that is the only way to fix it, period. How to fix it, again - "Turn off or shorten duration lights are on" thread from FTCF, read the quote in my post on Monday 1/13/2020 at 8:08AM CST 

For a temporary "fix", you can push/pull the turn signal stalk back or forth twice (or once each way, I don't care) to turn off the perimeter lights, temporarily. But next time you lock the doors, perimeter lights reactivate. 

13 hours ago, jrm223 said:

Then enjoy your lights coming on, because that is the only way to fix it, period. How to fix it, again - "Turn off or shorten duration lights are on" thread from FTCF, read the quote in my post on Monday 1/13/2020 at 8:08AM CST 

For a temporary "fix", you can push/pull the turn signal stalk back or forth twice (or once each way, I don't care) to turn off the perimeter lights, temporarily. But next time you lock the doors, perimeter lights reactivate. 

Yeah this is definitely an overlook by Ford and a definite mistake I don't care what the analogy is behind it their software engineers should be slapped and kicked to within an inch of their life. These are vans that people travel and camp in far from home with kids as well as busy work vehicles and this could very well leave someone stranded in the middle of nowhere because of a drained battery in a very short amount of time. "No" cars headlights and taillights should come on when any door is open and even if that is the case the owner should be able to easily disable it at will!!.. I wont be taking it to the dealership to get raped without lube on this but should I be insanely bored someday soon maybe I'll call and inquire and maybe entertain fixing it should they have a $99 special I might consider it.....

Safety (FoMoCo reason for perimeter lights) is "an overlook", that's hilarious. Far more people drive these vans in city & commercial use than for camping. Ford's target market was/is not "people that want a DIY mini-camper" or "amateur astronomers driving out to the countryside". Most of their TC purchasers are commercial use or family haulers, carting either cargo or kids around town/city, etc. The rest of us are a specialized niche group. 

Without a doubt  jrm223 is correct that many more TC's are used in a commercial application than private which brings me to my question.  Why don't the perimeter lights illuminate when the engine is running?  Many deliveries are made w/o shutting off the engine.  I have never understand the logic from all perspectives. 

Boss, "have you done anything before?'

New coop, "No i just finished my first year of engineering school."

Boss, "what do you know about cars and trucks?'

New coop "I've played MarioKart"

Boss  "Great, I have the perfect project for you.  Design the perimeter lighting"

7 hours ago, jrm223 said:

Safety (FoMoCo reason for perimeter lights) is "an overlook", that's hilarious. Far more people drive these vans in city & commercial use than for camping. Ford's target market was/is not "people that want a DIY mini-camper" or "amateur astronomers driving out to the countryside". Most of their TC purchasers are commercial use or family haulers, carting either cargo or kids around town/city, etc. The rest of us are a specialized niche group. 

What I meant by Fords overlook is how they overlooked how this situation could quite possibly upset people and I'm not the only one, there are plenty of people on this forum with my same complaint, hence this and many other forums.

I get how these are mostly used for commercial but that doesn't really help the situation or your cause defending FoMoCo as their spokesperson separating yourself from the rest of us on here with this complaint like your totally happy with this situation and that it doesn't bother you. When these are used for work the doors would tend to be open "more" than personal use making the situation even worse.. What if you had this van full of groceries at your house and your front door to your house is situated far away from the curb or garage and you could only grab 2 bags at a time back and forth, wouldn't that upset you the the whole time knowing your headlights and tail lights were on the whole time until you finally unloaded your van?.. I could give you way more examples but you get my point!! This isn't about Ford choosing not to make a DIY vehicle for amateur astronomers, its about taking our choice away to simply disable it at will for many reasons, Ford was inconsiderate with taking our choice away whether  they felt it was important or not !!   

You come up with the most ridiculous situations - are you related to ToasterVan? But you probably won't know him - other 'oldtimers' here will remember, lol.

Again, the headlights, as in the 55W low headlight bulbs and separate 55W highbeam headlight bulbs, DO NOT come on with the doors, period. Even if you wanted to, you could not manually turn them on with the engine off! Go try it - parking lights don't count, we're talking headlights. "Commercial drivers have their doors open more." As desert_connect already said, the perimeter lights don't turn on with the engine running, so there goes another failed imaginary circumstance - and they certainly DON'T leave their doors open while away from the vehicle. 

As for my own van, I actually took it into Ford, had them do the BCM update in SM46321 and turn off the perimeter lights for me - instead of coming up with asinine garbage on a forum, in threads where the fix has already been posted several times. Rather than complaining, I took action to get it resolved - after a resolution was finally available. Since I bought my van new in June 2015, I first tried to disable it myself via Forscan (as many others here had also unsuccessfully tried - until after the BCM update), but ultimately I had to wait a couple years for them to even come up with the update required to disable the perimeter lights, and still I didn't moan & groan like a child. Here you are, long after the update is available for public, but refuse to do what's required; instead posting garbage incessantly. You're a millennial, aren't you? 

If you have such a problem with the perimeter lights, but refuse to get it fixed, as has been provided for you many times now, then get LED bulbs to replace all the halogen/incandescent bulbs. Here's even a bulb guide, for that. Copied straight out of the 2015 TC owners manual. I have my van swapped to about 80-90% LED, just need to do high beam headlights and the tiny city lights, still. 

Bulb_Specs.jpg

Actually you can turn the headlights on even if the engine is off and the keys are out of the ignition.  Just pull back once on the high-beam lever.  Headlights will come on and stay on for about a minute.  It's a convenient feature to use when you just need a bit of light to get to the front door.

1 hour ago, jrm223 said:

You come up with the most ridiculous situations - are you related to ToasterVan? But you probably won't know him - other 'oldtimers' here will remember, lol.

Again, the headlights, as in the 55W low headlight bulbs and separate 55W highbeam headlight bulbs, DO NOT come on with the doors, period. Even if you wanted to, you could not manually turn them on with the engine off! Go try it - parking lights don't count, we're talking headlights. "Commercial drivers have their doors open more." As desert_connect already said, the perimeter lights don't turn on with the engine running, so there goes another failed imaginary circumstance - and they certainly DON'T leave their doors open while away from the vehicle. 

As for my own van, I actually took it into Ford, had them do the BCM update in SM46321 and turn off the perimeter lights for me - instead of coming up with asinine garbage on a forum, in threads where the fix has already been posted several times. Rather than complaining, I took action to get it resolved - after a resolution was finally available. Since I bought my van new in June 2015, I first tried to disable it myself via Forscan (as many others here had also unsuccessfully tried - until after the BCM update), but ultimately I had to wait a couple years for them to even come up with the update required to disable the perimeter lights, and still I didn't moan & groan like a child. Here you are, long after the update is available for public, but refuse to do what's required; instead posting garbage incessantly. You're a millennial, aren't you? 

If you have such a problem with the perimeter lights, but refuse to get it fixed, as has been provided for you many times now, then get LED bulbs to replace all the halogen/incandescent bulbs. Here's even a bulb guide, for that. Copied straight out of the 2015 TC owners manual. I have my van swapped to about 80-90% LED, just need to do high beam headlights and the tiny city lights, still. 

Bulb_Specs.jpg

Hmmm well I can see you still persist on being bone headed and redundant here with this situation. TRY LISTENING  to what I am saying here you goof its not hard!. I am NOT carrying on here with asanine garbage,  I merely at the start of all this made a comment along with  MANY others on here and with people like you it escalated into this!. I just bought this thing within the last month so am just getting around to figuring all this out now. I HAVE READ everybodys remedy on what to do and my whole point being is (WE SHOULDN'T HAVE TO DO ALL THIS HOCUS POCUS CRAP, BCM SM46321 CRAP FOR SCAN, WAITING 2 YEARS FOR A SCAN TO UPDATE, LED REPLACEMENT BULB CRAP!!) DO you get it now?? WE SHOULDN'T HAVE TO GO THROUGH ALL THIS!! Drrrrrrr...That's my whole point about all this We are very well past the actual remedy here!!. This is where Ford has been inconsiderate with this.. And who are you to tell me how to use this for work. I have the XLT and DO use this professionally for work as this sits in front of different peoples house almost daily and am in and out most times having to leave the door open out of convenience so yes it IS a problem and do not have the opportunity to close the door behind me all the time so dont presume to tell me how this is used for work. And yes of course the lights don't come on with the engine running Duuh!! like anyone wouldn't know that and frankly doesn't exactly matter if the headlights or front side marker lights come the point is front and back lights come on and is a total pain.. And am 50 years old so sorry not a stupid Millennial.. So are we done here??

2 hours ago, jrm223 said:

Bulb_Specs.jpg

Now you can just admit and agree that Ford should have just put a quick easy remedy to this in the owners manual for all of us idiots to maybe just push a few buttons inside the cabin to completely disable this particular system or you can just go on being Fords representative on here defending it and giving people the  pain in the a** fix to it!!.. Your choice

2 hours ago, jrm223 said:

Bulb_Specs.jpg

And that goes for having to pull/push a turn signal lever also every time you park, no one wants to do that either!!

You could "fake out" the doors by disabling the door switches. If the computer thinks the doors are closed the lights won't come on. Probably a lot of trouble. I'm not necessarily recommending it either since you kinda want to know if all of your doors are closed correctly. All that said, I do plan to investigate this at some point since there is no way in hell my truck is going back to the dealer. Especially not for Ford's stupidity.

2 hours ago, desert_connect said:

I've had my 17' TC to the deal twice to change the perimeter lighting issue and also played with it myself a dozen times with ForScan.  Guess what, they are still on!

I think I may have asked you before, but whereabouts are you? If it was you that I asked before, instead of someone else here, then I think it's Kansas? Or I'm thinking of a different member completely, lol. In any case, maybe another member is close by to help look at it, hopefully one that has been successful already? I'm in north-central rural Texas, myself, about halfway between Fort Worth & Abilene and I'd help out a relatively close member within a couple hours drive. Also, do you happen to know the build date on your van? I recall seeing a date in the forum saying around 12/18/2016 or something like that for the BCM update requirement (meaning all vehicles built before that date would require BCM update in order to disable the perimeter lights). 

On 1/15/2020 at 9:03 AM, jrm223 said:

Which brings up one of my favorite pet peeves - the automatic locking of the rear doors when you take the key out of the ignition. I suppose getting rid of that is also a trip to the dealership, or a job for ForScan? Took me long enough to figure out that you had to use the trunk button on the remote to open those ... Apparently a dash switch would have been too much trouble ... (mutter mumble)

3 hours ago, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

You could "fake out" the doors by disabling the door switches. If the computer thinks the doors are closed the lights won't come on. Probably a lot of trouble. 

Think Gorilla Tape ... <G>

26 minutes ago, jrm223 said:

I think I may have asked you before, but whereabouts are you? If it was you that I asked before, instead of someone else here, then I think it's Kansas? Or I'm thinking of a different member completely, lol. In any case, maybe another member is close by to help look at it, hopefully one that has been successful already? I'm in north-central rural Texas, myself, about halfway between Fort Worth & Abilene and I'd help out a relatively close member within a couple hours drive. Also, do you happen to know the build date on your van? I recall seeing a date in the forum saying around 12/18/2016 or something like that for the BCM update requirement (meaning all vehicles built before that date would require BCM update in order to disable the perimeter lights). 

I am in southern Arizona. The build date is about one month before (Nov. xx 2016) the BCM update. So, the first dealer updated the BCM but could not turn off the P lights. The second dealer confirmed the first did intact update the BCM but also could not turn off the P lights. I bought a ForScan and worked on it myself, toggling it on/off several times first following procedures posted by others and also several more times following other reasonable possibilities and finally gave up. 

If I am camping I open my drivers door before shutting off the ignition, or flash the hi/low beams after opening all the doors. Then I never fully close the doors, only 1/2 latched. This will keep the P lights off as long as I do not deviate from that procedure. The interior lights are useless for camping also because after 10 minutes the power to them is shut off so I installed my own with live power. I also totally shut off the interior lights and I NEVER use them at all because they don't operate the way I want use them. I have never been so disgusted with a vehicle in all of my life. If this is progress, I am not looking forward to the future.