Ford Transit Connect Forum

Better throttle response, stays in OD longer. Better MPG?

johnsonmy

Today I removed the "snorkel" going from the air cleaner toward the drivers side front fender. So far, I have better throttle response and it stays in overdrive longer before down shifting going up hills. Will this also provide better mpg? We shall see.post-3920-0-43780800-1414633720_thumb.gi

See item just under bolt number 6.

Hello johnsonmy, be carefull water does not get in the air cleaner box.

This^

The "snorkel" is there to pull air in from a dry place and/or stop water from getting into the air box. The inner fender is not a dry place.

You may see a very slight bump in fuel economy, but not enough to risk sucking water into your motor.

• 1 month later...

Final results. Improved throttle response. On cold days, it almost feels turbo boosted. The transmission stays in OD longer on inclines and kicks back to OD sooner after it has kicked down. City fuel economy slightly improved, highway mileage appreciably improved. At fill up after highway trip, the expected mileage on the odometer goes to 420, usually more like 360. at this point, I'm planning on keeping it this way until i find a better solution. So far pleased with my free modification.

• 2 years later...

Boomerweps, if you wanted to, you could remove your entire air box and intake assembly.    Use an aftermarket intake air tube and a cone filter at the end.  Drill out a spot and fabricate a mount of some sort for your intake air sensor.  Or remove only the air box, keep the factory tube with the sensor attached, and cap it off with a cone filter.   Instant cold air intake.  

turbo-car-modification-supplies-telescopic.jpgCIMG011.jpg016a599924c6d0dd095e271b2da17596.jpg