Ford Transit Connect Forum

2.5 liter engine, whats the oil capacity?

omniphil

Has anyone changed their oil yet? Owners manual doesn't say how many quarts I need?

It is the same engine as ford escape so if you look it up you find a lot of info

I think manual is retarded not having this kind of info but wait they want you to go back to ford to get it done.

It should take 5 quarts as I find it online, just go easy after the 4th quart one.

I have to do mine soon I ordered some nice Bosch oil filter on amazon model number D3330 like. $6 good deal I been using Bosch for years very good .got the oil from Costco .

How is your MPG?

It is the same engine as ford escape so if you look it up you find a lot of info

I think manual is retarded not having this kind of info but wait they want you to go back to ford to get it done.

It should take 5 quarts as I find it online, just go easy after the 4th quart one.

I have to do mine soon I ordered some nice Bosch oil filter on amazon model number D3330 like. $6 good deal I been using Bosch for years very good .got the oil from Costco .

How is your MPG?

Well that is the weird thing, I've seen 5.0 quarts and I have also seen 5.7 quarts.

When I looked up the escape for 2014 it says 5.7 quarts for the 2.5. I'm guessing yes the engine is the same but the oil pan shape and design may be different.

I'll call the dealer today and see what their literature says...

MPG has been good so far, 27.5 on the first tank, I use www.fuelly.com so I know its accurate (The built in gauge said 28.9), Second tank was 25.8 but I was intentionally putting more load on it to help with the break-in. With all my other cars I average pretty close to the highway rating with my mixed driving, so I expect to be getting pretty close to 28 when I get more miles on it and things loosen up a bit.

Edited by omniphil

From the FSM:

Engine oil capacity:

Item Specification

Intial [sic] fill including oil filter 5.9L (6.3 qt)

Service fill without oil filter 5.1L (5.4 qt)

Service fill including oil filter 5.4L (5.7 qt)

Awesome, and this is the 2.5 liter?

I put in 5 quarts, I'll go add a little more...

I like it when engines use more than 5 quarts, always like having extra oil.

Thanks!

Edited by omniphil

Interestingly enough the Ford service department told me 5 quarts......

So I decided to call Ford directly, at first she told me 6 Quarts and I told her to double check since I am getting conflicting information, she did some more research and found 5.7 quarts with filter, So that matches the service manual, so I'll go with that ;)

Edited by omniphil

Well that is the weird thing, I've seen 5.0 quarts and I have also seen 5.7 quarts.

When I looked up the escape for 2014 it says 5.7 quarts for the 2.5. I'm guessing yes the engine is the same but the oil pan shape and design may be different.

I'll call the dealer today and see what their literature says...

MPG has been good so far, 27.5 on the first tank, I use www.fuelly.com so I know its accurate (The built in gauge said 28.9), Second tank was 25.8 but I was intentionally putting more load on it to help with the break-in. With all my other cars I average pretty close to the highway rating with my mixed driving, so I expect to be getting pretty close to 28 when I get more miles on it and things loosen up a bit.

So if my math is correct you getting 450 miles to a fill up if you have a 27mpg ,am I correct you have a number on your screen shows miles to E empty so the time comes to fill up you drove 450 miles that amazingly good I don't even get 300miles on a fill up in city driving I think something is off here. Correct me if I'm wrong thanks

Edited by Johnyguy

So if my math is correct you getting 450 miles to a fill up if you have a 27mpg ,am I correct you have a number on your screen shows miles to E empty so the time comes to fill up you drove 450 miles that amazingly good I don't even get 300miles on a fill up in city driving I think something is off here. Correct me if I'm wrong thanks

I get about 350 miles before the gas light comes on, and when the light comes on the remaining till empty shows 45 miles. So I am getting close to 400 a tank assuming I drove it till empty which we don't do. I reset my mpg counter at each fill up to see how accurate the built in gauge is vs the actually mileage calculated using www.fuelly.com. So i'm always seeing MPG on my current tank vs every tank. When I reset my mpg gauge at fillups I usually see it say 401 mpg to empty.

Last night coming home from vacation I was hitting 31mpg average on backroads (according to the computer, which is about 1mpg high)

Your doing city driving, so yeah, MPG will be much lower. I do probably 85 to 90% highway. I've also noticed that cruising at 70mph impacts MPG (26 ish) a good amount, 65mph still will get me good MPG (29+ mpg), at 60mph (A little too slow for my tastes) it goes up pretty good too (over 30mpg). Basically with a vehicle this size and weight you'll want to be doing 65 and under for good fuel economy, the wind resistance going over that makes it start to take a pretty big nose dive.

Edited by omniphil

I get about 350 miles before the gas light comes on, and when the light comes on the remaining till empty shows 45 miles. So I am getting close to 400 a tank assuming I drove it till empty which we don't do. I reset my mpg counter at each fill up to see how accurate the built in gauge is vs the actually mileage calculated using www.fuelly.com. So i'm always seeing MPG on my current tank vs every tank. When I reset my mpg gauge at fillups I usually see it say 401 mpg to empty.

Last night coming home from vacation I was hitting 31mpg average on backroads (according to the computer, which is about 1mpg high)

Your doing city driving, so yeah, MPG will be much lower. I do probably 85 to 90% highway. I've also noticed that cruising at 70mph impacts MPG (26 ish) a good amount, 65mph still will get me good MPG (29+ mpg), at 60mph (A little too slow for my tastes) it goes up pretty good too (over 30mpg). Basically with a vehicle this size and weight you'll want to be doing 65 and under for good fuel economy, the wind resistance going over that makes it start to take a pretty big nose dive.

Thanks 400 is great I drive slow I should get 325-350 in city I think, now I have 880 miles on my van so I hoping gmpg will improve over time .

Has anyone changed their oil yet? Owners manual doesn't say how many quarts I need?

I changed my oil today I used a ramp, that cover on the bottom is a pain to take it off every time you change the oil you need to go all the way close to the middle to get to those screws ,I used a Bosch filter i guess that cover is to protect the engine from rocks or whatever, my other cars don't have it and never had a problem what I usually do fill up the oil filter before I bolt it back on, the oil was looking clean the van has only 1000 miles and manual says it should have been done at 3000 if I'm right but I like to do it early. I think it toke close to 5.8-5.9 quart s

• 1 year later...

I have a 2014 transit connect LWB passenger van with the 2.5 motor. The only place I had it serviced is at Ford Dealer. Oil was changed about 2000 miles ago. Today I checked the oil. IT'S OVERFILLED!!!!

The manual says NOTHING about oil capacity. I looked on the web. 2014 spec says 5 quarts including filter. 2015 says 5.7 quarts including the filter. I am kinda perturbed because you would think these guys where I bought the car would have known the capacity, but maybe they thought it was a 2015 model..

My current advice is to always check the dipstick, dipstick! And if you are having someone else do the work, make sure they know what they are doing, and then check right afterwards anyway.

I think the pan under the car is for better mileage, and not just to keep rocks from flying up.

• 7 months later...

Hi, I have exactly the same experience as you! Always have serviced at Ford, Past 2 times, I checked when was a little overdo for service based on mileage and was almost a quart low (about 4/5 of the way down from top fill to bottom fill dots on the dip stick). I assumed that I might be losing some oil some how. So I am due for a service soon and decided to check to see if I was once again about a quart low. I am now actuially overfilled so the dealership doesn't know how much to put in and it seems may not be adding/checking/adding/checking to get it right by trial and error. I'm pretty pissed off. Am I doing damage by being over filled? When they fill low as I described, is that bad as well? Since I now know I can't count on getting a reliable fill from the dealer, I will check after a service. I will also ask if they know what they are doing.

Ever since I have had this car, the dealers seem to know nothing because it comes from Europe. Every time there is a part specific question, they seem to know either nothing or very little. They certainly can't answer questions authoritatively.

PS, when I was low, I spent about 15 minutes trying to get the specific oil weight recommended. Nothing. Door jam, nothing. Went and bought on assumption. Went to add, weight listed on the filler cap! Dumb me, but can't believe the manual has nothing. BTW, guessed wrong... Over an hour wasted on really simple stuff.