Ford Transit Connect Forum

Rear brake drum recall

I read about this here somewhere, but not sure where. This week I had to take my TC in to the dealer with 7500 miles on it because I heard a metal-on-metal scraping sound when I used the brakes, and a slight scraping sound while driving. Anyway, they diagnosed the problem as faulty rear brake drums. It turns out that there are none to be had in the US at this time. None, nada, zip. They told me that the system is giving an ETA of mid-June for replacement parts. That's two weeks and they claim it's safe to drive in the meantime. I kind of accept that, but I also think it sucks that a company like Ford can't expedite replacement parts for brakes sooner. Drums could be machined here in the US (or did we ship all our lathes to China already?).

If we can't make them here, then I have three words for Ford - Turk Hava Yollari. Fly them in.

Edited by PetrosA

I read about this here somewhere, but not sure where. This week I had to take my TC in to the dealer with 7500 miles on it because I heard a metal-on-metal scraping sound when I used the brakes, and a slight scraping sound while driving. Anyway, they diagnosed the problem as faulty rear brake drums. It turns out that there are none to be had in the US at this time. None, nada, zip. They told me that the system is giving an ETA of mid-June for replacement parts. That's two weeks and they claim it's safe to drive in the meantime. I kind of accept that, but I also think it sucks that a company like Ford can't expedite replacement parts for brakes sooner. Drums could be machined here in the US (or did we ship all our lathes to China already?).

If we can't make them here, then I have three words for Ford - Turk Hava Yollari. Fly them in.

oh boy

the dealer cuts you loose with brakes in question

can you get them to put that on paper ??

Edited by Flying Media

oh boy

the dealer cuts you loose with brakes in question

can you get them to put that on paper ??

They have a record of doing the brake inspection in their system, confirmed by a follow up email to me (it also states that my vehicle is ready for pick-up ;) ). I honestly don't know where to go from here. I use this vehicle for work and to not have it for two or three weeks would cost me way more than I can afford in lost income. Who's going to cover that? The dealer certainly didn't suggest a replacement vehicle in the meantime. It just seems like a can of liability worms which makes it that much harder to believe that Ford isn't doing anything to expedite getting these parts here on US soil.

They have a record of doing the brake inspection in their system, confirmed by a follow up email to me (it also states that my vehicle is ready for pick-up ;) ). I honestly don't know where to go from here. I use this vehicle for work and to not have it for two or three weeks would cost me way more than I can afford in lost income. Who's going to cover that? The dealer certainly didn't suggest a replacement vehicle in the meantime. It just seems like a can of liability worms which makes it that much harder to believe that Ford isn't doing anything to expedite getting these parts here on US soil.

wow

the guy next door to me works for new holland ford and today i am going to ask him to look up any recalls on brakes

i know pep boys have after market front pads i wonder if they have rear parts

i would be asking for a loaner

Edited by Flying Media

UPDATE:

Ford called me Tuesday to let me know that they would be shipping the parts for Texas that day, and that they should be at the dealer by Thursday at the latest. I was out of town, so I'll know by Monday where things stand.

• 1 month later...

I'm sure this has been resolved by now but FYI when a dealer does warranty work they have to use Ford parts. If you just take it in for a brake job they are likely to pick up pads locally and install them. I ran into this issue on my 08 E250. yep mine sat, twice, waiting on a set of pads.

• 7 months later...

Any update on this?? I am getting a super bad scraping noise from the rear. I recently inspected the front pads and they have 40% remaining at 16k miles (though since I bought it at 10k miles its possible the set of pads I am seeing at the front are the second pair).

Thanks!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

So I took the van home, the noise was still present after it sat overnight. SO I mentioned the noise again when I came in a week later when they were going to install the weather stripping they had ordered. They said they would do the TSB again, and despite that, the noise is still there. They couldn't fix it.

• 7 years later...

I have a 2013 with this issue.

brakes on the right rear make that horrible metal on metal sound when they are cold, but after braking a few times they are warm enough that they stop, but you can also hear the mechanics of the brakes squeek as you let off the brakes.

Would this recall still be honored this many years later ? the van has barely 38K on it.. it had 32K on it when i bought it..

I have checked the drums ( On both sides ) the shoes and drums are silky smooth, plenty of pad on the shoes, no gouges or nothing,, they look perfect..

I drove a large line truck at work for years ( yes it was a ford also ) and the brakes would squeel like hell til they got warm. some days i rode the brakes til they got warm, then they were good the rest of the day.  The mechanic said they were fine..just how they are.. But this shouldn't be the case in a passenger vehicle.

Maybe it's the quality of the shoes ?

Ok it could be the brake lining material .  If you knew the brand of the shoes you could find a different  brand.  Another Idea is to go to support at a brake lining manufacture  and see if they have  run into your issue.   

keep us in the loop, can't wait for the answer.

I'm sure it''s cheap materials and I'm sure they are the OEM brakes since the miles are so low on this van.

Was just wondering if the recall would still be valid.. save some bucks.

I'm going to get it fixed either way. but if the  dealer will cover it then i'll do it.

I guess i'll just have to call em up and see..