Ford Transit Connect Forum

2015 Van Ordering Experience

Good news! I finally ordered my new TC Van. I want to share my buying experience so perhaps others find this info useful for their TC purchase.

post-4138-0-20518100-1407636439_thumb.jp

What did I order?

2015 LWB XLT Van with rear symmetrical doors and the standard 2.5L engine in silver metallic. Options below:

All weather floor mats - front

Electric rear window defroster

Trailer Tow Package with Trailer Sway Control

Fixed rear glass for rear cargo doors (includes privacy glass)

AM/FM Stereo with Single CD & Rearview Camera

2nd Row Fixed Glass - both sides (includes privacy glass)

Rear LED cargo area light

Forward and Reverse Sensing Systems

Key fobs (qty 2)

Adaptive Cornering Fog Lamps

Daytime running lights

Front and Rear Mud Splash Guards

The Buying Experience

Like Oregon Don, I also ordered my van using the Costco Car Buying Program. http://www.costcoauto.com/enterzipcode.aspx?gotourl=%2fdefault.aspx

The online Costco program lets you configure the van like the Ford website and provides MSRP and Dealer Invoice pricing. You can use edmunds.com to verify the pricing and the 2015 Ford Ordering Guide to add in the ordering codes for each option.

Costco's program puts you in touch with a dealer that has enrolled in the program and is assigned to your closest warehouse. You can switch dealers by calling Costco if there's a dealer that is closer to where you live or one you prefer to work with.

I would highly recommend using Costco's service for several reasons. The first is fixed pricing, which happens to be the lowest around. No haggling or games, which I dread. I had checked into using the truecar.com buying program and didn't see a benefit over the Costco program. The second reason is you're dealing with either an Internet Sales Manager or Fleet Manager, so these guys are experienced in doing special orders. The third reason is that after the dealer configures the van online with Ford he provides you with a statement that shows Retail and Dealer Invoice pricing and Ordering Codes. You can verify exactly what you want versus what is going to be ordered. This way there is no question that the dealer is ordering the right configuration.

Ford includes two additional charges that's included in the Dealer Invoice pricing, a gas fee for $55 and a regional advertising fee for $402. Edmund's will warn you about the advertising fee, which I assume is higher in larger cities like LA. There's no way around this and Ford passes the cost on through the dealer to the buyer. My only rub is that I haven't seen one print ad in a local paper or TV commercial for a Transit Connect. Plenty for other Ford cars, but not the one I'm buying. It's a bend-over fee that you have to pay and forget about. I guess another way to look at it is that the color brochure I got from the dealer cost me $400.

So now comes the hard part. Patiently waiting for the van to be built and delivered. As we've read, 2015 production starts in early September. We know it can take several months so I'm optimistically guessing early January for delivery, assuming the van won't sit in limbo at the import lot in Maryland. Let me know if you have any questions on what I've posted.

Edited by windguy

Good news! I finally ordered my new TC Van. I want to share my buying experience so perhaps others find this info useful for their TC purchase.

attachicon.gifoutside 01.jpg

What did I order?

2015 LWB XLT Van with rear symmetrical doors and the standard 2.5L engine in silver metallic. Options below:

All weather floor mats - front

Electric rear window defroster

Trailer Tow Package with Trailer Sway Control

Fixed rear glass for rear cargo doors (includes privacy glass)

AM/FM Stereo with Single CD & Rearview Camera

2nd Row Fixed Glass - both sides (includes privacy glass)

Rear LED cargo area light

Forward and Reverse Sensing Systems

Key fobs (qty 2)

Adaptive Cornering Fog Lamps

Daytime running lights

Front and Rear Mud Splash Guards

The Buying Experience

Like Oregon Don, I also ordered my van using the Costco Car Buying Program. http://www.costcoauto.com/enterzipcode.aspx?gotourl=%2fdefault.aspx

The online Costco program lets you configure the van like the Ford website and provides MSRP and Dealer Invoice pricing. You can use edmunds.com to verify the pricing and the 2015 Ford Ordering Guide to add in the ordering codes for each option.

Costco's program puts you in touch with a dealer that has enrolled in the program and is assigned to your closest warehouse. You can switch dealers by calling Costco if there's a dealer that is closer to where you live or one you prefer to work with.

I would highly recommend using Costco's service for several reasons. The first is fixed pricing, which happens to be the lowest around. No haggling or games, which I dread. I had checked into using the truecar.com buying program and didn't see a benefit over the Costco program. The second reason is you're dealing with either an Internet Sales Manager or Fleet Manager, so these guys are experienced in doing special orders. The third reason is that after the dealer configures the van online with Ford he provides you with a statement that shows Retail and Dealer Invoice pricing and Ordering Codes. You can verify exactly what you want versus what is going to be ordered. This way there is no question that the dealer is ordering the right configuration.

Ford includes two additional charges that's included in the Dealer Invoice pricing, a gas fee for $55 and a regional advertising fee for $402. Edmund's will warn you about the advertising fee, which I assume is higher in larger cities like LA. There's no way around this and Ford passes the cost on through the dealer to the buyer. My only rub is that I haven't seen one print ad in a local paper or TV commercial for a Transit Connect. Plenty for other Ford cars, but not the one I'm buying. It's a bend-over fee that you have to pay and forget about. I guess another way to look at it is that the color brochure I got from the dealer cost me $400.

So now comes the hard part. Patiently waiting for the van to be built and delivered. As we've read, 2015 production starts in early September. We know it can take several months so I'm optimistically guessing early January for delivery, assuming the van won't sit in limbo at the import lot in Maryland. Let me know if you have any questions on what I've posted.

gongrats!!

what about 6 way adjustable driver seat and 4 way passenger?

you did not get the heated power mirrors i mean NOT for the heating but for the power adjustment ?

is daytime running light mandatory in CA

adaptive cornering fog lamps thats a cool option.

congrats!!

what about 6 way adjustable driver seat and 4 way passenger?

you did not get the heated power mirrors i mean NOT for the heating but for the power adjustment ?

is daytime running light mandatory in CA

adaptive cornering fog lamps that's a cool option.

thanks Johnyguy. Everyone's input on the forum helped me get to that point. I'm thankful for that.

The XLT includes several of those options and enables you to order some others. You can see that in the 2015 Ordering Guide.

Significant options included with the XLT are below. The others aren't very important to me but nice to have.

6-Way Manual Driver Seat with Manual Lumbar

Cloth Seating Surfaces

Cruise Control

Fog Lamps

12V Powerpoint in Rear Cargo Area

Premium Front Center Closed Console

I tried the vinyl 4-way seat that comes with the XL and it wasn't comfortable for me. I needed the upgraded seat. I like the covered center console armrest too. Cruise control is mandatory for me and fog lamps are a big plus. I drive a twisty windy canyon road several times a week on average and having adaptive cornering fog lamps should be helpful, I'm hoping. Last winter I had to take my high beams off for an oncoming car and couldn't see a large rock (boulder) in the road, that took out my wheel and tire. $257 with an alignment plus my time. Having fog lamps might have prevented that mishap.

Daytime running lights isn't mandatory in CA as far as I know, but I always leave the headlight switch in the ON position for safety reasons, so the lights are always running. That's why I had asked the question in another thread if they go off automatically when the key is removed. Not sure I need the daytime running lights option, which can be programmed in by the dealer for a fee, but for $38 ($45 MSRP) I didn't want to second guess myself.

I didn't bother with any extra electronics like sync and mytouch. Partly because of some bad reviews and I'm not a gadget type of person. It's not necessary for me to have my electronics integrated with my car. Some people eat that stuff up but I like to keep it simple and functional.

There were two options I wanted but couldn't get with the Van. The roof rails and cross bar, as discussed in another thread. That's a sore point for me. The other is the keypad option for keyless entry. I really need this option since I surf and windsurf at the beach often and it's ideal not to carry a key or use a lockbox. This was an $85 option for 2014 but 2015 doesn't show it or mention it anywhere. I'm hoping it shows up as a new standard option for the XLT (I can dream can't I?). Other Ford vehicles have it integrated into the door handle. It can be ordered from Ford Spare parts for the same cost.

Edited by windguy

hey windguy did you consider financing it since they have this 0% APR for 36 months?

when i ordered mine 4 months ago i was like i like to pay it of full but now makes me think to finance it. im not sure

or you just prefer to pay in full and like you did through costco

hey windguy did you consider financing it since they have this 0% APR for 36 months?

when i ordered mine 4 months ago i was like i like to pay it of full but now makes me think to finance it. im not sure

or you just prefer to pay in full and like you did through costco

I haven't considered financing. Also hard to predict what offers will be available when my van arrives and it's time to pay for it. Many months away at this point. Hopefully Ford will be offering some sweet incentives that I can cash in on. That'd be cool.

Edited by windguy

I bought a 2013 not a 2014. The $3,500 deal expired on August 1st.

ok thanks thats a different story i ordered the 2014 model i did not pay attention of your name "2013transitconnect"

i already got a good deal on it but a extra $1500 would be nice .

• 2 weeks later...

WindGuy, if you will be as happy with your purchase as I am with mine, the waiting is the hardest part. I am really pleased with the TC. REALLY! I'm into gadgets and the bluetooth, XM, GPS, back-up cam are all aces. My driving is more fun, so life is good. PS: I added extra tint to all windows but the windshield, along with insulation for the roof/sides of the cargo area. Finally, we have a 'quilted' reflective windshield sunscreen for when we need to park the van in the sun. They have made a world of difference in the FL heat.

@KeyWestLes, glad you like your new van, plus it's very sharp looking.

you will be very recognizable in your small town with that van. good for business.

I noticed that front window shield in your pics. very nice.

did you buy that online or have it made custom?

what type of insulation did you add to the walls and ceiling?

what type of covering did you put over it?

I plan to do something like that so I'm interested in what you did.

I'm hoping the privacy glass that comes with the side and rear windows offers enough sun reflection.

I can see how things can get pretty toasty down in your parts.

you really are in Key West. nice. Been there twice on vacation. always fun. haven't been there during a hurricane though!

Edited by windguy

The window shield is a 'quilted' item, foil facing on one side, white on the other. I bought it online, made for the '14TC... autoanything.com. I recommend them for accessories. Free Shipping. Decent prices.

We used 2 layers of home insulation in sheets, cut and glued to the roof/side sections that only had bare (painted), metal. It made a drastic difference. We didn't cover the insulation panels as they are acceptable in appearance for a fully-equipped cargo/service van.

Hurricanes have not been a problem for us. We love KW!

The window shield is a 'quilted' item, foil facing on one side, white on the other. I bought it online, made for the '14TC... autoanything.com. I recommend them for accessories. Free Shipping. Decent prices.

We used 2 layers of home insulation in sheets, cut and glued to the roof/side sections that only had bare (painted), metal. It made a drastic difference. We didn't cover the insulation panels as they are acceptable in appearance for a fully-equipped cargo/service van.

Hurricanes have not been a problem for us. We love KW!

thanks for the info and link

the sun shields they offer look very nice. they have two types, one that folds, the other rolls up. The TC has such a large windshield you really need a custom shade.

for the insulation, did you use the rigid type foam board that comes in sheets from Home Depot or Lowes?

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Building-Materials-Insulation-Rigid-Insulation/N-5yc1vZbaxx

that stuff has a pretty decent R-value for its thickness. I've used it for home remodeling a few times but only on flat surfaces.

Sorry to ask so many questions but I'm trying to figure out what to do ahead of getting the van.

Glad you like Key West. Hope I didn't jinx you on the hurricane part ;)

thanks!

I tried to use the windshield shade from my '05 Caravan in the TC, and it was surprisingly too large! So, the TC windshield looks big (and is), but not as big as others.

We used flat sheets from Home Depot, 2 layers, and the only places requiring any flexing was the 2 roof sections. My brother lightly scored the panels to form into the curvature and we bowed some scrap wood to apply pressure overnight for the adhesive to cure in the right shape. It worked!

Not worried about the storms. we hunker down and ride them out like 85% if the locals do.

how do you like your TC compared to the Caravan?

you would think the TC has a bigger windshield. interesting.

thanks for the install notes on the insulation. I like the sheet stock material because it handles moisture very well. More of an issue for colder environments when you get condensation at night. I assume you used something like liquid nails to attach it.

Curious about your impression on the flooring material that comes stock in the cargo area.

the material that I saw in the 2014 van at a dealer was sort of spongy and compresses and left impressions and dents very easily, which was surprising. it doesn't see very robust compared to a more rigid hard plastic material. The only benefit I see is it's easier on the knees if crawling around.

The TC is much better handling for the cargo weight than the Caravan was, which translates to better cornering, braking and ride. I took a risk in ordering a TC when I didn't test drive one, but have driven several Caravans and Town & Country's (as rental vehicles). They would have been my second choice, but I didn't want to buy a car twice (GM and Chrysler both took my tax dollars as bailout money). Plus, I wanted a mini-cargo van with a lift gate, so that left out anything from GM, Nissan, and any other mini-van with rear seats that I would have had to buy and store.

We did use a product similar to Liquid Nails. My construction supervisor brother recommended it.

The TC floor is a cushioned mat, but that didn't bother me. It has an interesting non-skid finish to it. I don't have enough room for crawling, so it's not been a concern.

Edited by KeyWestLes

WindGuy, if you will be as happy with your purchase as I am with mine, the waiting is the hardest part. I am really pleased with the TC. REALLY! I'm into gadgets and the bluetooth, XM, GPS, back-up cam are all aces. My driving is more fun, so life is good. PS: I added extra tint to all windows but the windshield, along with insulation for the roof/sides of the cargo area. Finally, we have a 'quilted' reflective windshield sunscreen for when we need to park the van in the sun. They have made a world of difference in the FL heat.

Hi what kind of oil the manual says the engine requires I don't mean oil brand.

Thanks

I don't know (would have to look it up, perhaps in the morning). But, since I am a happy Amsoil user, I went to the website.... http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehiclelookuppage.aspx?url2=2014+FORD%20TRUCKS+TRANSIT%20CONNECT+7|

They are most helpful

I use Mobil 1 in all my vehicles been working fine getting them from Costco for good price they have coupons many time.

Thanks

The TC is much better handling for the cargo weight than the Caravan was, which translates to better cornering, braking and ride. I took a risk in ordering a TC when I didn't test drive one, but have driven several Caravans and Town & Country's (as rental vehicles). They would have been my second choice, but I didn't want to buy a car twice (GM and Chrysler both took my tax dollars as bailout money). Plus, I wanted a mini-cargo van with a lift gate, so that left out anything from GM, Nissan, and any other mini-van with rear seats that I would have had to buy and store.

We did use a product similar to Liquid Nails. My construction supervisor brother recommended it.

The TC floor is a cushioned mat, but that didn't bother me. It has an interesting non-skid finish to it. I don't have enough room for crawling, so it's not been a concern.

thanks for info. I haven't test driven the TC either. my wife thinks I'm crazy for not doing so. Everyone seems to like it when they do a review so I'll adapt. I'm getting it for the utility benefits. same issue for me with the extra seats. I've done that with my current wagon, storing the seat bottoms. I did not want to buy a new vehicle and do the same since I have no use for more than two seats. I want to maximize the cargo space. I'm thankful that Ford offers the TC this way.

thanks for info. I haven't test driven the TC either. my wife thinks I'm crazy for not doing so. Everyone seems to like it when they do a review so I'll adapt. I'm getting it for the utility benefits. same issue for me with the extra seats. I've done that with my current wagon, storing the seat bottoms. I did not want to buy a new vehicle and do the same since I have no use for more than two seats. I want to maximize the cargo space. I'm thankful that Ford offers the TC this way.

You not alone I have not test drive it either everyone says its handels well on you tube reviews too.