Ford Transit Connect Forum

Cargo area vent?

I live in South Louisiana. If you folks don't know, that means a lot of heat. The sun even in the middle of winter heats up the cars to an incredible temperature.

Since I have the bulkhead in my work van, I am worried about the heat in the back. I wonder if anyone has installed a vent for the back of their work van? Which one and how much?

I see a few nice stainless steel solar powered vents. That looks attractive. I also worry about rain. We also get torrential rain here and I want to make sure it won't leak.

Any thoughts?

I can't really offer any help, but wouldn't it have been nice if Ford had painted all the roofs white, regardless of body color? You can't see the top anyhow. Toyota does this on their Land Cruisers and I always thought it a great idea. Of course two colors of paint might add a small extra cost.

• 1 month later...

I have the same interest as bikinchris in providing ventilation to the cargo area of the van model.

For me, it would be a 2015 LWB, but I think the same technical issues and potential solutions exist for both generation TCs.

The van will have fixed glass windows on the sliders and rear doors. Too bad there isn't an option for windows that open.

Maybe Ford's thinking is if there aren't passengers in the back, then no need to provide any ventilation and best to keep the cargo area secured.

In my current wagon, I crack all four windows a tad when it's warm outside. I'm sure others do the same with their cars.

If I decide to camp in the van it would be nice to have some ventilation as well.

What do other TC owners do about heat build up in the van?

What solutions are available that won't make the van look like an RV?

A lot of van conversion use a Fan-tastic vent

http://www.fantasticvent.com/

They offer static vents or fans that run off a 12V house battery.

Those seem pretty popular but perhaps better for a higher roof van so it's less visible.

A solar powered vent would work good and provide the best level of security. I checked them out online and they had mixed reviews and the selection is limited. There are also a few models available that are used to provide positive ventilation for black water systems. I guess those could be adapted for this type of application. As bikinchris mentioned, water egress is an important factor, so not sure they could be used.

Aftermarket window supplier C.R. Laurence offers windows for 2010-2013 TC vans but they are all fixed.

http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/showline/default.aspx?GroupID=54910&History=30587:21889:16124:21889:2087&pom=0

Appreciate the input

• 2 months later...

@SemperKeith - thanks for the input. welcome back to the forum. It's been a while.

I've checked out your pics before. you did some really nice camper add-ons to your van.

the fan install came out really nice too.

I think for the Gen 1 TC with the higher roof, that type of fan is a good solution.

for the Gen 2 TC with only a 6ft roof, not so sure since the fan is more visible with the lower roof.

I'd like to have something a bit more discrete since you can easily see it.

I found two options for a small low profile roof vent

Ventline Vanair Roof Vent

Model Number: VP-543SP

Cost = $50

100CFM drawing 1.5amps

http://www.etrailer.com/Enclosed-Trailer-Parts/Ventline/VP-543SP.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htbsOqSFjtY

installed picture

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/pics/r/i/rid24341_r1_800.jpg

I like this unit because it's pretty discrete - only sits up 2 5/16" above roof and is 8" in diameter

Not sure if you would need an aux 12V battery to run this. 1.5amp draw is pretty low, right?

Power = 1.5amps x 12vdc = 18watts

I also like the dark black color, which looks more like some type of antenna than a vent.

The second option is a solar powered plumbing vent. Advantage is no 12V power source needed so it's pretty simple

This unit is about the same diameter but sits up a little higher at 3 3/4" and it's white.

Ultra-fab Solar Powered Plumbing Vent

Model Number: UF53-945081

Cost = $27

http://www.etrailer.com/Enclosed-Trailer-Parts/Ultra-Fab-Products/UF53-945001.html

Edited by windguy

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in responding. I've been off this site for some time.

I still have my 2010 Transit Connect camper conversion with about 35,000 miles on it. The conversion was done by Art's Custom Truck Trix in the Portland, Oregon area. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arts-custom-truck-trix/200004643376697

I bought the van used from the Ford dealer in Newberg who had originally sold it new. The conversion came with a bed, refrigerator, sink and 5 gallon water tank, microwave, interior lights, house battery, inverter and storage. House battery is charged when the vehicle is running or when plugged into shore power via the 110 outlet.

I added new fantastic fan a few months after buying the van. The work was done by Van Specialties in Tualatin, Oregon. https://www.vanspecialties.com They just resealed the outside again last week for me. The fan is great during the hot weather. I would not enjoy camping without it. I've never run the house battery out using both the refrigerator and fan for about three days without outside power.

The conversion has worked well and held up just fine. I'm not as happy with the van itself though. One of the cooling fans had to be replaced at about 25k which I can understand, stuff breaks. However, at about the same time the van developed a very annoying vibration through the gas pedal, most noticible when the van is under load. You can hear a noise and really feel the vibration. My old 95 Miata has less vibration. The dealer hasn't been helpful. The usual nothing wrong. My independent mechanic (who I trust) thinks the only likely issue is a worn engine mount which is an issue that the Ford Focus had. He added the dog bone mount cover that the TSB calls for and said he'll start by replacing the passenger side mount if the vibration gets worse.

Besides the annoying vibration, the van has served me well.

@NWCamperman - welcome back to the forum. glad you came down off the mountain to avoid the winter weather and share your TC experiences ;)

thanks for the input on your camper conversion.
I've heard of Van Specialties before. I visit the Sportsmobile Forum frequently and VS is often talked about.

they do some interesting work on vans.

On Art's website/facebook page, some had asked Art if he is doing work on the Gen 2 TC's and he said no, the roof is too short. he is working on the full size Transit though. that's interesting.

The Fantastic Fan sounds like the best option for ventilation but I'm not sure how it would look on the lower roof of a Gen 2 TC. It's more visible at that height compared to your taller Gen 1 TC.

Sorry to hear about your vibration problems, hope you can sort that out easily, like new motors mounts as Willie suggested. Good Luck with that!

Edited by windguy

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I just had a sunroof installed in my Transit! Trying to post it now. Send me your number and I'll text photos. It's awesome.

sounds interesting. please post a pic when you can

to post pics, first create your own Gallery and the attach them to your post using MY MEDIA above.

to create your own Gallery, in the upper right corner of the forum page is your user name - click on that and select MY GALLERY.

the rest is easy.

Well, I've tried to upload photos of my new (2010 Transit) sunroof and I can't. I'm using my cell phone for internet. Maybe that's the problem. Somebody else can post them if you send me an email to Sandypaws@doglover.com. Sorry!

• 3 months later...

I think I'm going to install two of these roof vents on my TC. I had two of them along with a Fantastic fan on my full size van and never had a problem with them leaking ( the vents), Plus they're reversible, meaning you can open one facing from and the other facing the rear which helps with ventilation. I have at '15 TC and the Fantastic fan is too high on such a short vehicle. A drill, saber saw and some silicone glue is all you need to install them, oh, and the gonads to cut holes in your vehicle.

Still not sure what to do about installing windows in the sliding doors. Maybe this next year you can get them aftermarket.

I think I'm going to install two of these roof vents on my TC. I had two of them along with a Fantastic fan on my full size van and never had a problem with them leaking ( the vents), Plus they're reversible, meaning you can open one facing from and the other facing the rear which helps with ventilation. I have at '15 TC and the Fantastic fan is too high on such a short vehicle. A drill, saber saw and some silicone glue is all you need to install them, oh, and the gonads to cut holes in your vehicle.

Still not sure what to do about installing windows in the sliding doors. Maybe this next year you can get them aftermarket.

which roof vents are you considering for the TC?

Something like this......But paint it white to match the color of the van. The make a kind that doesn't sit up as high on the roof, like the kind you sometimes see on the side of a UPS truck. In my full sized fan it didn't matter so much how high the vent sat up off the roof as the full size van was tall. But for the shorter TC i'd like it to be flusher to the roof.

5512.jpg

Ventline Vanair Roof Vent

Model Number: VP-543SP

Cost = $50

100CFM drawing 1.5amps

I installed a Ventline on a wall of a previous camper. It worked okay but too noisy for me. I would not trust this not to leak if mounted on roof.

I installed a Ventline on a wall of a previous camper. It worked okay but too noisy for me. I would not trust this not to leak if mounted on roof.

thanks for the feedback.

I'd be more concerned about the issue of mounting the vent on the ribbed uneven surface of the roof and that leaking than the vent itself.

This issue was added to the product Q&A since I last looked in regard to mounting it on the roof of an NV200.

the bottom line is that if you need ventilation, you need to do something and it's a question of finding the best solution, which may not be optimal.