Ford Transit Connect Forum

The Gas Mileage Thread

Hello 2013TransitConnect. Look at my posting back in 2011. It will show you how to display your gas millage average and many other items on your instrument cluster LCD screen for 2010-2013 Transit Connects. Over the past years, I also have posted a few pictures in my gallery of my various gas millage averages. http://fordtransitconnectforum.com/topic/636-fuel-mileage-display/#entry4606

Edited by 103west43rd

• 2 weeks later...

Does the TC tell us the average? Mine only tells me the miles to empty. From what I guess the miles to empty is based on how you drove the last two tanks.

Because you don't have a trip computer i don't have it either on my 2014 so all i get is miles to empty

And im getting very dissapointing MPG 17-18 mostly city driving and some highway I'm light on the gas but for a 2.5 liter four Banger it is not good i got this vehicle so i will save gas over my Honda odyssey but so far same MPG as the Honda.

What a shame.!

• 8 months later...

My 2014 Titanium wagon is getting 22.2 mpg. I haven't left the city yet, so I'm not disappointed. I am looking forward to a highway only run before too long; miles are right about 5000 now.

Everything is relative - I was getting 10-12 mpg in my old Roadmaster wagon, so I'm on top of the world!

40 mpg in the city, a little less on the highway.

Drops to 30 in the winter.

im getting 16-18 mpg in city many times bumper to bumper thats called CITY traffic im not going fast at and easy on the gas long wheel base model something is off here !!

i judt dont understand how can you get 30mpg in the city how much you get on a fill up how many miles its show?

Edited by Johnyguy

I've got about 500 miles on my TC. Took a nice drive up into the mountains a few days ago and my average was around 32 MPG. This is according to my Scan Guage II which I took out of the van the TC replaced. I'm very happy with the TC

i judt dont understand how can you get 30mpg in the city how much you get on a fill up how many miles its show?

Mine's Diesel. An it's funny, but it gets an mpg or two better in city driving. The wind drag drops a couple, I guess.

I just recently replaced the transmission, the current one is from a Focus and has a better final drive ratio - less shifts, less wasted movement, better fuel economy.

Mine's Diesel. An it's funny, but it gets an mpg or two better in city driving. The wind drag drops a couple, I guess.

I just recently replaced the transmission, the current one is from a Focus and has a better final drive ratio - less shifts, less wasted movement, better fuel economy.

On OK now I get it diesel makes a big different mine is gas

• 3 months later...

Still new to me,, my Loaded 2015 XLT LWB wagon TC with the 2.5L engine had 20,000 miles on the clock when I got it.

Had It a bit over a week, 1100 miles, have checked mpg at every fill up and compared to the on board computer, well ok, two trip meters actually.

On Board computer sounds cooler right !

In Florida, the flat lands, Biggest hills are Intersate overpasses :D

70% Interstate and 30% congested city driving.

My average Cargo load over and just In front of the rear axle seems to be 600 pounds, the range so far peaked at 950 Lbs on two 200 plus mile trips

Computer/trip average not reset in 1,000 miles is 25.6

Wth the same trip meters I show Interstate average at 70 mph steady is 28.1,, at 75 mph is 27.1 mpg

City driving shows me 22.5 mpg If I behave and think! ,,, And 21.0 If I drive like the masses.

When figured the old fashion way, calculator In hand at fill up my 1,000 mile average is 25.8 mpg

Long trips at 70 mph is a nice 27.1 and at 75 mph is 26.5

My city mpg's are oddly just like the average mpg's on the trip meters...

I bet I loose about 1 mpg when summer Hits and the A/C Is on full time. and my inner city mpg's are most likely a little hard to reach for many.

My advantage is two decades In Class 5 Tractor trailer rigs, reading and anticipating traffic Is second nature to me, I can't turn that off.

Over all considering the comfort, size and power of this little mini van I feel the fuel economy is Excellent :P

Edited by Osco

Too early to tell with mine since I got it with 26 miles on the clock, but economy on the road trip back from the dealer was about 27mpg, and in mixed driving since then it's been steady at 24. This is a SWB Wagon with the Ecoboost gas engine, and these numbers are from the onboard computer. Still under 1000 miles so there haven't been enough tanks through it for me to even remember to calculate by hand.

I'm hoping and expecting that my averages creeps up a bit once it's broken in. Suffice to say I'm not expecting vastly better economy than the 2.5, but happy to enjoy the added thrust and turbo sounds in the meantime...

The Power of the 2.5 and the 1.6 are similar. The torque rise of the 1.6 comes sooner in the rpm curve. I think most of the mileage gain if any between the two versions is the difference in the final drive ratio in the two gear boxes. The 2.5 has a 3.21:1 the 1.6 has either 3.06:1 for the XL or 3.51:1 for XLT.

The 3.06 will give the best Mileage over all, but should you have the 3.51:1 you won't save money but you will have fun!!

Oh I want to add something. Tire pressure and gas mileage:: Tire pressure, the psi marked on the door jams are for max load.

Get a Tread depth guage and start a log, new tires should be 11/32 depth.

The outer most groove will wear down faster due to turning forces and I'm sure you know regular rotation Is all you can do to minimize this.

But the Inner three you need to watch for even wear, they Indicate over and under Inflation.

When the car makers go for MPG ratings to Impress us on the window sticker they set tires at max psi and get on the smoothest surface they can find.

Same with city mpg,

This is not economical overall, A tire skipping over small imperfections due to TOO much air pressure Is wasting energy and slowing forward momentum.

Remember we do not drive under controlled conditions.

Other points: The noisier a tire the more rolling resistance you have. Dropping a single psi can quiet a tire.

When You use your brakes you are burning fuel !,,,,,what you say ? ok now you think I'm an Idiot ~

Every time you brake you have to accelerate to get that forward momentum back,,,gotcha :P

Example:

My 2010 Ford Mustang runs Continental pro contact and the door jam psi for both front and rear is 32. while the tire max psi Is 44

It took a while to get the right pressure for even tread wear, as this car regularly did 90 miles a day at an even mix of 50/50 Interstate and city roads.

The least tire noise was at 32 psi,

The best overall handling was at 35 psi,

The car began to get twitchy at 38 psi but cornered like a Race car.

The most even tire wear Is at 34-35 psi,,,, why a range from 34-35 ?

The car does better in the hot summer at 34 and better In the cooler Florida winter at 35 psi

Yes I can feel the difference in one psi in the Mustang when I wag It's tail In a hard corner, Kicking the rear end out is fun but that costs me rubber...

My Droid,,err my Transit connect I can feel the difference of 2 psi up front but the rear Is kinda numb, I can't feel a diff until I do a 5 psi spread BUT !!

I can sure hear a 2 psi difference.

I am settling Into 38 psi front and 42 psi rear as this so far Is giving me the best stability, smoothest corner tracking and least tire noise over all.

As for tread depth wear with my varying loads, It will most likely take me a third the life of the tires to get it just right.

Edited by Osco

Only about 4 tanks of gas so far on mine but averaging 24-25. It's been super cold and windy and we are on winter fuel so I expect to pick up a couple mpg's in the spring. Put 2k miles on it the first 2 weeks and loving it so far.

It has been a while since I've posted an update. Instead of showing the whole data set (it's over 70 rows now) I made a graph. I'm about to hit 20k miles and my current average is 23.22 MPG.

owN67cy.png?1

Edited by Eazy

Nice Chart, I can see a link between the price and the weight of your foot with the usual winter penalty !!

You can really tell when it's been either super cold or super snowy. I generally try not to let it warm up too much, but it's been a rough winter.

You and I are with in 4 degrees of latitude. I think that even though you do not need a long warm up for the engine to run well . All the plastic parts parts in the engine and Transmission benefit from the warm up . When it is 15 degrees or colder the gas is not wasted on the warm up. Over the life of the TC the gas cost will disappear

compared to a premature engine or transmission problem.

what amazes me about eazy's chart is that gas is only $2 a gallon. :drool:

gas finally dropped below $3 for the low grade stuff at premium stations (Mobil, Chevron, 76) here in SoCa. Lots of taxes added on :(

regarding warming up your car in the winter, just read this interesting article linked below

http://www.businessinsider.com/heres-what-idling-your-car-in-the-morning-is-doing-to-your-engine-and-its-not-good-2016-1

I always let the van warm up until the idle kicks down automatically and then drive it easy as best I can. Not a lead foot anyways.

The rule of thumb in our Nordic climate (if not equipped with a preheater, which most new cars and diesels of the past decade or so have) is to get the engine running, turn on the seat heater, go outside and clean/scrape the snow/ice off the hood, lights and windows and go. Shouldn't take more than two minutes, anything over that is a waste of fuel and time.

All of that is good for the engine and Cylinders. The transmission on the other hand has ton's of

plastic parts . This engine also has a large plastic rail that the timing chain rides

on. Plastic is very different when cold.

The 2001 Impala (Aka Winter Driver) is north of 251000 on the clock and still has the

first transmission. It won't be the premature engine ware that will make me have to

retire my old friend it will be rust!

Common sense helps here. Moderate rpm and no load in the first mile.

-30F winters are common here and I have not had any plastic part failures in any car apart from splash guards, hub caps and other body parts in direct contact with ice and curbs. Those accidents can be avoided by sensible driving and cleaning the wheel wells from ice buildup.

Planning to replace the cabin air filter today, now there's a chance of breaking that cowl panel.

Replaced three of four glow plugs yesterday, outside. Didn't get to the fourth one, need to remove the oil stick tube and as I noticed a leak in the bottom end of the stick tube assy I need to replace a seal anyway, the glow plug can wait. It starts fine with three functioning ones.

How far north in the eu? 3 out of 4 will do , good luck with the filter, can you get the TC inside?

Windguy your gas price takes into account the extra charge for the Great SoCal weather

Edited by G B L