Ford Transit Connect Forum

Tailer made front seat covers

2013TransitConnect

• 1 month later...

very nice. I like!

what's your next improvement?

If you really want to spend $200 plus for a set of seat covers is your call of course , but i will show you tomorrow what i got from pep boys after some research on the net , the seat cover i got was $39 its fits well the backrest a little tight but after a couple days its gets stretched out so its fine the cover for the sitting is fits like a custom made one, it has a cover for the headrest as well only thing is it does not have for the arm rest but i use a black sock and stitch it up at the end "please don't laugh" it looks fine and protect it good.

It made of like a nylon stretchy material thick i had one on my old car similar material different in design holds up just fine after 4 years oh it has a foam in the back to prevent the cover to move around on the seat.

My 2 cents about breathable material, the original material used on the seat is not cotton it is a nylon so using a breathable seat cover over it it kind of useless in my opinion.

if you go to the store you can check it out for your self.

When i was searching i find this one but i was like there is no way for me to spend this kind of money on a seat cover instead of i got that $39 one and the rest of the money i bought LED replacement bulbs for the tail light going to install them tomorrow will show pictures after installation. http://www.jcwhitney.com/pn/c47p3067j1s45.jcwx?filterid=d19184y2014g88

Edited by Johnyguy

one thing to consider when adding a seat cover is the air bag system in the van. Custom seat covers take this into account. Not sure about low cost generic seat covers. I checked on the Gen 2 TC (2014+) and there are air bags in the sides of the seat per the manual. Not sure about the Gen 1 TC.

See page 37 (40 of 401) of the manual, cut/pasted below:

The side airbags are located on the
outboard side of the seatbacks of the front
seats. In certain sideways crashes, the
airbag on the side affected by the crash
will be inflated. The airbag was designed
to inflate between the door panel and
occupant to further enhance the protection
provided occupants in side impact crashes.

Do not use accessory seat covers.
The use of accessory seat covers
may prevent the deployment of the
side airbags and increase the risk of injury
in an accident.

one thing to consider when adding a seat cover is the air bag system in the van. Custom seat covers take this into account. Not sure about low cost generic seat covers. I checked on the Gen 2 TC (2014+) and there are air bags in the sides of the seat per the manual. Not sure about the Gen 1 TC.

See page 37 (40 of 401) of the manual, cut/pasted below:

The side airbags are located on the

outboard side of the seatbacks of the front

seats. In certain sideways crashes, the

airbag on the side affected by the crash

will be inflated. The airbag was designed

to inflate between the door panel and

occupant to further enhance the protection

provided occupants in side impact crashes.

Do not use accessory seat covers.

The use of accessory seat covers

may prevent the deployment of the

side airbags and increase the risk of injury

in an accident.

Most universal airbags has a side material fabric made with special stitching and a thinner fabric that the sitting aria to work with the side airbags the one i got is like that.

the air bag is very powerful so when its deploys it forces to rip open the fabric.

Yes they look good and fit perfect I can see ,its just my personal preferences I just don't see myself spending that much money that's all.

I had a budget of $5,000 for aftermarket products and so far have only spent $3,500. I tend to own vehicles for a long time and twenty years is about my average. So these seat covers will only cost me about a dollar a month.

• 5 months later...

I'm ready to get a pair of custom Seat Covers and a Sun Shield.

CoverKing's website doesn't show a seat cover or shield option for a Gen 2 TC.

I called them and they confirmed they don't have them available and the rep has no idea if they will.

Any other suggestions for sourcing these?

Generic seat covers is always an option but I prefer to spend a little extra and get something a more tailored fit for the seat. Same for the window shield.

thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I'm ready to get a pair of custom Seat Covers and a Sun Shield.

CoverKing's website doesn't show a seat cover or shield option for a Gen 2 TC.

I called them and they confirmed they don't have them available and the rep has no idea if they will.

Any other suggestions for sourcing these?

Generic seat covers is always an option but I prefer to spend a little extra and get something a more tailored fit for the seat. Same for the window shield.

thanks

Hi windguy i thougth after you got your van you would be all over this forum, how do you like your van positiv negative things?

Hi windguy i thougth after you got your van you would be all over this forum, how do you like your van positiv negative things?

ha ha. you haven't been keeping up with the forum. I have made a few posts on specific subjects but haven't added to my original "ordering experience" thread to give my pros and cons and overall views. That will come at some point soon, hopefully.

custom seat covers are on order through Seat Covers Unlimited out of Mesa, AZ. Should get them in a week or two. I chose this company because they sell direct, have the material I wanted - neosport (neoprene type waterproof/water resistant), they have a custom pattern for the Gen 2 TC and they offer an optional seat back map pocket, which I had on my Volvo wagon and really liked. The TC can always use more storage areas. Will provide more info on the seat covers after I get them installed.

Also ordered and received a window shade. Went with the roll up type from Covercraft, Model #UR11356, Called a Flex Shade. Got it from an auto accessory website called Covers Direct Corp in South Carolina, who had the best pricing. $35 shipped with a storage bag. The shade fits pretty nice around the perimeter of the window. There's a bit more gap around the rear view mirror area than I think is necessary, perhaps around 2-3", but it it's pretty nice. The roll up part is a little funky because of the shade material but that may improve over time. I'm hoping a roll up will last longer than the folding type, which seem to break at the folds over time. We'll see how that goes. Attached are a few pics of the shade.

Sun shade 01

Sun shade 02

Sun shade 03

Edited by windguy

ha ha. you haven't been keeping up with the forum. I have made a few posts on specific subjects but haven't added to my original "ordering experience" thread to give my pros and cons and overall views. That will come at some point soon, hopefully.

custom seat covers are on order through Seat Covers Unlimited out of Mesa, AZ. Should get them in a week or two. I chose this company because they sell direct, have the material I wanted - neosport (neoprene type waterproof/water resistant), they have a custom pattern for the Gen 2 TC and they offer an optional seat back map pocket, which I had on my Volvo wagon and really liked. The TC can always use more storage areas. Will provide more info on the seat covers after I get them installed.

Also ordered and received a window shade. Went with the roll up type from Covercraft, Model #UR11356, Called a Flex Shade. Got it from an auto accessory website called Covers Direct Corp in South Carolina, who had the best pricing. $35 shipped with a storage bag. The shade fits pretty nice around the perimeter of the window. There's a bit more gap around the rear view mirror area than I think is necessary, perhaps around 2-3", but it it's pretty nice. The roll up part is a little funky because of the shade material but that may improve over time. I'm hoping a roll up will last longer than the folding type, which seem to break at the folds over time. We'll see how that goes. Attached are a few pics of the shade.

Dude you are the man...I tried ordering some neoprene seat cover from Wet Okole but they called me the next day to inform me that they didn't have the pattern for my Transit, so they canceled my order and reimbursed me :( I've had their seat covers in 3 other cars and love them - so I was bummed.

Then I tried contacting Coverking but they also don't have the dimensions for the 2015 Transit Connect...grr...

I will try getting in touch with Seat Covers Unlimited on Monday. Maybe I'll get the cow-fur pattern ;)

@acadian - glad I could help. If you aren't in a big rush, you can wait until I get my seat covers in to see how well they fit or just go for it.

As I said, I added the seat back map pockets ($5 per seat) and the headrest cover ($14.50 per seat). For color I ordered the Black Outer/Black Center. Not very adventurous but figured that would look best with the dark gray/black interior. Also, I got the Tailor Made version of the seat cover ($218.00 for the pair). $257.00 total with free shipping and no tax.