Ford Transit Connect Forum

Fitting a Motorcycle in the back!

Does "View new Content" on the front page help?

@johnyguy - thanks for asking the question

@103west43rd - thanks for pointing that out. I didn't see that option either and really like it.

Edited by windguy

Thanks for the info my 5speed scion tc with a 2.5 liter engine spins at 2900 rpm at 70 and still got great mpg ,so the TC should get good mpg as well 2300rpm is pretty low

That's on flat level ground in sixth ..........with Cruise on . as soon as it slow's on steeper hills it drops a gear and 3 k rpm or more is what you see instantly .

My trip comp has instant update setting for fuel mpg as well as an avg . when you push hard on the GO pedal you see 8.9 mpg then it will climb back up .

interesting thing is when you roll off the juice going down hill , instant display will be pegged at 99.9 mpg.

We're at 8750 total miles now and just like clockwork

26mpg is the magic # on the avg display after 15 gallons of combined driving , every time .

Edited by mustang

That's on flat level ground in sixth ..........with Cruise on . as soon as it slow's on steeper hills it drops a gear and 3 k rpm or more is what you see instantly .

My trip comp has instant update setting for fuel mpg as well as an avg . when you push hard on the GO pedal you see 8.9 mpg then it will climb back up .

interesting thing is when you roll off the juice going down hill , instant display will be pegged at 99.9 mpg.

We're at 8750 total miles now and just like clockwork

26mpg is the magic # on the avg display after 15 gallons of combined driving , every time .

Its good to check mpg when you fill up I'm not sure how accurate the computer is.

It's not bad , shifts smooth .

In S mode , we'll call it sport instead of std.

there is a paddle shifter on the side of stick and you can row the gears like a std , within reason.

The auto and computer still own you and won't let you do anything stupid .

IE you can't pick a gear downshifting that will over rev the engine .

same with up shift if you try to get into 6th too fast it won't let you ................... ;)

It's not bad , shifts smooth .

In S mode , we'll call it sport instead of std.

there is a paddle shifter on the side of stick and you can row the gears like a std , within reason.

The auto and computer still own you and won't let you do anything stupid .

IE you can't pick a gear downshifting that will over rev the engine .

same with up shift if you try to get into 6th too fast it won't let you ................... ;)

That's great thanks!

YES!

Finally, a thread that asks exactly what I need to know. I've been to the dealer with a tape measure, and here's the deal. Since they lowered the roof by a few inches, it immediately kills usefulness for hauling any modern sportbike, larger cruiser or touring bike. It was so close to being exactly what I'm looking for: the cargo length of the long wheel base version is good, as is the width, and the low deck height great for loading vs. any new pickup truck. Most sport bikes measure in at 50"+ at the windscreen, so the door opening height on the TC along with the center door latches pretty much makes it unusable for my needs. It is SO close, they only got the height wrong- I wanted to buy this vehicle. I test drove one and liked it. Ford people tell me that they know of no plans to offer and extended roof option like the regular Transits.

It's a damn shame.

Not just a few inches, the idiots lowered it 7 inches. Now it not only looks like every other minivan, it works about as well also. If they had kept the height and add the 17 inches in length i would have been able to fit my FJ1200, MRA screen and all, in the back. My XS650 fits. My problem is I've aged out. I went to work one day in my mid 40's and came home in my late 60's. I had a heck of a time getting the xxxx 650 up the ramp to test fit the LWB TC. I must be in denial. I still think I'll some how be able to push a bike up that ramp. So on the off chance I might, I'm still looking at vans. And smaller bikes. I'm planning on test riding a FZ-07 on Friday. I want to be able to go to rally's with the bike in the back and camp in the van.

If they had kept the height I would have bought the first one I saw last spring and (almost) happily paid full MSRP.

B209

Same here. The eye opener is the previous page's picture of the vintage Triumph loaded inside- it looks huge in there. Well, a Bonneville is not at all a huge motorcycle by modern standards. If you see one outside these days by itself, it looks pretty small- but it looks to be a tight fit loaded inside a TC. As much as I had hoped this van would be the answer to my motorcycle hauling needs, it just won't work for me as they sell it now. That roof height is a deal killer, and a regular full size Transit won't fit in the garage...the whole deal is really frustrating.

The Nissan NV200 is a joke, the Dodge/Fiat thing is also. Guess I'm back to looking at trucks, and lowering the suspension (air bags?) to get a low deck height for loading.

Edited by sandman

• 3 months later...

I bought this van to load my bike into. If your bike is too tall there are kits to strap the suspension down to lower the front end Height. Then you can fit your bike. I will probably install a trailer hitch and get a bike trailer hitch mount dohicky. Look up cycle gear I think they have ways to strap the suspension down to fit a bike.

HeyZeus,

I still have my VUE. I decided i want a full size van, short wheelbase and windows. I'm just waiting for the right one. But for a trailer: I have a utility trailer and Trailer in a Bag. Google that. It's not for anyone and it's just for bikes, but the cool thing is it comes apart and stows in the back of my Vue. I keep it there during the riding season as my rescue vehicle. I bought mine used at a bargain price.

Good luck,

B209

HeyZeus:

You own a Ducati Monster and CBR500- both mid size bikes by modern standards, not huge and not tiny. The fact that you have to strap the suspension down to fit them into a TC is impractical to me. What if I go to purchase a bike out of state, only to find that it wouldn't fit into the TC, even strapping the suspension down? That would really suck, wouldn't it!

I won't even consider buying another trailer if I had a TC- it defeats the whole purpose of buying a van for weather proof and secure bike hauling.

Edited by sandman

HeyZeus:

You own a Ducati Monster and CBR500- both mid size bikes by modern standards, not huge and not tiny. The fact that you have to strap the suspension down to fit them into a TC is impractical to me. What if I go to purchase a bike out of state, only to find that it wouldn't fit into the TC, even strapping the suspension down? That would really suck, wouldn't it!

I won't even consider buying another trailer if I had a TC- it defeats the whole purpose of buying a van for weather proof and secure bike hauling.

Don't buy one then. I love mine. My Ducati will fit without compressing the suspension. My honda is a little to tall. My honda would fit after I got it past the rear door frame. I love the fact this van is small and rides so well. Go buy some other POS. You will miss out on a great little van.

Edited by HeyZeus

"Don't buy one then"

"Go buy some other POS"

Wow- didn't expect such negativity in response, but hey, I guess I pushed your button. I want to buy this van, it's just apparently not designed or meant to haul modern motorcycles practically. I'm glad it's working for you and you like your TC- I'm not going to rule it out despite your responses.

Edited by sandman

@sandman,

Sorry, but I didn't think HeyZeus' post was negative, actually quite funny.

you guys share common interests so you're in the same camp. brothers from another mother as they sometimes say.

like Rich said above, I would think the Ford Transit - short wheelbase with a low roof - the smallest version, would be ideal for you.

You'd have just enough room to cover whatever biking activities you might encounter without having to worry about making compromises.

I can groove that they are made in the US too rather than Spain so there's some pluses there to consider. Delivery time should be faster.

For me, being able to park the TC in the garage was a requirement so the Gen 1 wouldn't have worked.

I'm stoked the Gen 2 has a shorter roof height but can understand why others prefer a taller version.

• 1 year later...

I just did a quick measurement on my 2015 wagon that has all the rear seats removed. 45" from deck to headliner so you should be good to go on height. Length is more difficult. With front seats all the way back, you have right at 7 ft measured at floor level in the middle. But the rear end curves a bit at the corner and the seats lean back quite a bit. So the measurement from driver's headrest to rear panel trim at the same level is down to 75". But it should be doable even if you have the tire riding in between the front seats a bit.

But keep in mind, a wagon with seats installed will reduce the height by about 6" with all seats folded flat.

Edited by DonShockley

Those measurements help me too-I'm looking to buy a wagon as well and hope to fit my dirt bike in there. Looks like it will be super close from those measurements. I plan on just unbolting the third row and leaving it out most of the time. That way I can load it backwards and clear the bars but put the rear wheel up on top of the folded second row.