Ford Transit Connect Forum

Paint flaking off

I have 2010 with 106K miles and just noticed, today, two areas about 3 inches in length where the paint is gone! It looks like it just un-bonded from the surface. Its bare steel underneath. Has anyone else seen or heard of this? I am not looking forward to the prospect of having to re-paint this truck.

I have 2010 with 106K miles and just noticed, today, two areas about 3 inches in length where the paint is gone! It looks like it just un-bonded from the surface. Its bare steel underneath. Has anyone else seen or heard of this? I am not looking forward to the prospect of having to re-paint this truck.

I have not read anything like this happening. Can you post up a photo? :camera:

Have you exceed 200mph speed that could be a a reason for the paint pilling off☺

• 2 years later...

Have had same thing on roof of my 35,000 mile 2013. Dealer said Ford would warranty it, strip and repaint entire roof. I dont trust dealer not to make a mess of my vehicle based on how they handled other service work. 

image.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thinking about this a little more - 2010 was during the time when all kinds of paint was moving to low VOC sealants.  It didn't work as well as the stuff that kills everything for a while, and Transit Connects are not the only thing that had paint problems.  Rickenbacker guitars were notorious for paint bubbling in the 2000s for a while.  I think the paint chemistry problem has been solved now, but it sure wasn't for a while.

• 3 weeks later...

Not too difficult to match the color.  Problem I encountered on my motorcycle was getting the clear coat right.  Most clear coats are good as long as they do not encounter a petroleum based solvent.  A lot of rubbing compounds have petroleum solvents in them.  My solution was 2K SprayMax clear coat.  Great stuff but have to be very careful with it as the harder is a dangerous chemical.  As for a clear coat it is spectacular, ver hard and resistant to gasoline.  

I'm not even attempting to spell the hardener as I have an engineering degree and cannot spell.  :-)

If your paint is going to come in contact with petroleum products, the usual stuff will not be any good.  You can get catalyzed clear coat that solves the problem.  It's expensive and you have to use the whole aerosol can once you start, since it will set up like epoxy.  I figured this out when fuel ate the paint on my race bike's tank.

On 5/27/2014 at 8:29 PM, Cooter32 said:

If it's a white TC, it's actually pretty common  -  Google 'Ford White Paint Flaking Off" and you can read for a week!

Don 

• 1 month later...