Ford Transit Connect Forum

Bought a new key and Fob today

So I bought my 2010 Transit,It came with 1 key and fob. I go to my local Ford dealer "Preston Ford in Burton Ohio" Fob is sold seperate of the key. Anyways,from what I heard I got off cheap. 149.00 to buy the fob and key and have everything reprogrammed. Oh well thus is life!post-4082-0-52756500-1398718644_thumb.jp

when special ordering a TC, there is an option for an additional Key Fob for $65.

I take it this is a good thing to do. At that high cost from a dealer, perhaps even getting 2 extra.

thanks for the input

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Lucky me!

I got four 'smart' keys with my 2015 TC wagon

I then ordered two 'dumb keys

One 'dumb' key is hidden on the outside somewhere

one 'smart' key is hidden on the inside somewhere

Lose my keys? no problem!

Retreive the dumb key to unlock the doors, then retreive the smart key to get home

ans one dumb key is used so when I go to the ocean ,I tie it on my pants and there is no transponder to get messed up by salt water

Lucky me!

I got four 'smart' keys with my 2015 TC wagon

I then ordered two 'dumb keys

One 'dumb' key is hidden on the outside somewhere

one 'smart' key is hidden on the inside somewhere

Lose my keys? no problem!

Retreive the dumb key to unlock the doors, then retreive the smart key to get home

ans one dumb key is used so when I go to the ocean ,I tie it on my pants and there is no transponder to get messed up by salt water

thanks for the info.

I also got an extra set of key bobs when ordering the van. low cost option.

I tried to get a 'dumb' key but none of the local locksmiths can duplicate that specialized key.

The local Ford dealer doesn't even have a laser cutter for the keys and they send it out so it's very expensive. (>$100)

I was going to stash a FOB in a water proof pouch somewhere under the van but would prefer to have just a key.

How did you get your dumb key made?

thanks

BTW - I added the keypad option so I can easily get into the van but I don't trust it 100%. It's more of a convenience option for me but still would like to stash a key somewhere for backup

keypad location

Edited by windguy

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For the 2014 and 2015 Transit Connect one HAS to go to the dealer to even get a 'dumb' key made.

Having said that, lets talk about 'smart' keys

TC 2010 to 2013 so long as you have two keys, a owner can program a third or fourth key. If you only have ONE key tough cruncies! it is to the dealer you go

For the 2014 and 2015, one has to go to the dealer to get ANY key and only the dealer can program in anothe key. Even then the dealer has to go to Ford Rotundra to get more keys

There are (is) locksmith(s) that can make 2010 to 2013 keys but EVERYBODY will demand proof of ownership and for the dealer the VIn number is required.

Be aware that Ford only keeps VIN numbers for 10 years, that is you give them a VIN number and they can cut the key according to what the VIN information has

For the 2014 and 2015 Transit Connect one HAS to go to the dealer to even get a 'dumb' key made.

Having said that, lets talk about 'smart' keys

TC 2010 to 2013 so long as you have two keys, a owner can program a third or fourth key. If you only have ONE key tough cruncies! it is to the dealer you go

For the 2014 and 2015, one has to go to the dealer to get ANY key and only the dealer can program in anothe key. Even then the dealer has to go to Ford Rotundra to get more keys

There are (is) locksmith(s) that can make 2010 to 2013 keys but EVERYBODY will demand proof of ownership and for the dealer the VIn number is required.

Be aware that Ford only keeps VIN numbers for 10 years, that is you give them a VIN number and they can cut the key according to what the VIN information has

Per the manual included with my 2015 TC Wagon, you can still do key programming yourself on the TC Gen 2. It's one of the things I checked prior to purchase. I had a Nissan in the past that required dealer programming and it was inconvenient and expensive. Thankfully, my TC came with the $65 optional 2 extra keys. Even so, I also got an extra $25 dumb key to put in my wallet in case of lock out. The dealer was able to cut it.

(from Transit Connect manual, pg 59-60)

"Programming a Spare Integrated Keyhead Transmitter

You can program your own integrated keyhead transmitter or standard SecuriLock coded keys to your vehicle. This procedure will program both the engine immobilizer keycode and the remote entry portion of the remote control to your vehicle.

Only use integrated keyhead transmitters or standard SecuriLock keys.

You must have two previously programmed correctly coded keys and the new unprogrammed key readily accessible. See an authorized dealer to have the spare key programmed if two previously programmed correctly coded keys are not available."

Edited by DonShockley

• 1 year later...

Not every dealership has a locksmith on staff.  Most dealers don't have the equipment to cut the keys either.  The dealerships can order from the manufacturer, which could take a very long time.  Stock the key blanks, transponders, & remotes along with the equipment to do all the work, and have a locksmith on salary.  Or subcontract that type of work to a local locksmith who has the tools to service automobiles for most manufacturers.  

In Norte Califas, check out Lock World.  Ebay has keys, but who is going to cut & program them?  I've had transponder keys made at Wal*Mart.  Home Depot has transponder keys online.  

Here is what you do.  Make a bunch of $3 keys at a local hardware store.  Epoxy your key under the dash, next to the ignition, close enough so that the ignition will always "see" and "transpond" with the key; so the the vehicle will "think" that your transponder key is close to or in the ignition.  Then simply use the el cheapo keys to start your vehicle.  Sure, you've now defeated your own security system.  Your car is now just about as easy to steal as a Pacer, Gremlin, or motor scooter imported from China.  But you have saved a few hundred dollars.  That is just about as good as leaving your doors unlocked, windows down, and key in the ignition.  But who really wants to spend the extra bucks on keys, when you have already spent tens of thousands of dollars on a car?

My Transit Connect came with 4 keys.  I did not ask why.  No reason was offered.  Each key came with a sticker which was printed with numbers.  I save those just in case they were needed as "key codes".  I now save everything that comes with the car.  Unlike my brother, the dummy, who throws everything away including the owners manual with the radio unlock code on his last car.  The radio was useless after installing a new battery under the hood.