Ford Transit Connect Forum

2014 TC VAN - observations

windguy

I think they are already failing. Does anyone have info about sales figures for the new Transit Connects? I think that lowering the roof and making it less utilitarian and more minivan is probably already affecting sales.

Man if they changed the design back to the old version with the taller roof, made the thing run on diesel, and added a manual transmission, there wouldn't be anything that could touch it!

not sure if sales figures for 2014 are relevant. the production run was pretty short, not a full year. sales in 2015 might be a better indicator. not sure how long it takes to build momentum for a new vehicle even though it's a next generation build.

if Ford kept the roof height the same, then I couldn't park the van in my garage and wouldn't be interested in getting a TC. I'm sure I'm not alone. High profile vehicles are excluded from many parking garages. Perhaps we can find a middle ground and wish that Ford had two roof height versions for the TC ;)

I do like your wish list but would add an AWD option then everyone would be happy

wanting a diesel engine and tall roof height sounds like a SWB Transit so me, no?

I sat in a TC van version and that is about as stripped down a van as you can get. It's very basic. I didn't look at the Wagon version. I think the TC is being marketed towards light commercial use and folks that want a vehicle with some versatility. If a consumer finds the specs on the TC aren't enough then they can move up to the full size Transit.

I'd say the one area that Ford failed in is the 1.6L EcoBoost engine offering. From what I've read, that engine has had lots of problems and for an $800 premium, I don't see any value in getting it. Aside from some increased horsepower and torque, the bump up in gas mileage is only 1mpg. You'd have to drive something like 112,000 miles before you recoup the increased amount spent for the upgrade not to mention the added maintance of a turbo-charged engine. An engine that offered better gas mileage like a diesel would give high mileage drivers a better option.

Curious, if you had a TC, what would you use it for?

Hauling my dirt bikes around to different riding areas every weekend and then camping/sleeping in the back. I like having everything enclosed inside the TC. People are a lot less likely to walk off with your $$$ riding equipment. The 2013 and older TCs with the tall roof have just enough clearance for the dirt bike handlebars. The loss of 4 inches is too much. =( I went to a dealership and measured.

Hauling my dirt bikes around to different riding areas every weekend and then camping/sleeping in the back. I like having everything enclosed inside the TC. People are a lot less likely to walk off with your $$$ riding equipment. The 2013 and older TCs with the tall roof have just enough clearance for the dirt bike handlebars. The loss of 4 inches is too much. =( I went to a dealership and measured.

that's a bummer.

have you considered the Transit as an option?

the interior height for the low roof model is 56.9" giving you 7" more over the TC's 49.7" height

the interior height for the medium roof model is 72.0".

you also pick up more room in the lengh of the cargo area.

are gas fumes a problem driving around with the bikes in the back and gas cans?

towing an enclosed utility trailer would be a better solution but it's not compact and very stealthy.

someone on facebook posted a link to a company that has an aftermarket bulkhead. wonder if that would be good for keeping fumes out of the cabin area.

http://www.knapheide.com/media/uploads/Products/Globelyst/Transit_Connect_Van_Equipment_Literature.pdf

• 2 months later...

It seems like the height was one of the biggest selling points of these guys. Why would Ford make this decision! *Sigh*

As I understand it, the tall roof wouldn't fit in some parking garages. Maybe they will offer a taller version.

• 5 years later...

NEED ADVICE ANYONE PLEASE CHIME IN on the Connect 2014 and up!!  I know probably wrong forum here though I tried to find something similar but just need advice. I have the '14 TC 2.5L and has anyone noticed that the coolant needle goes from cold in the morning  to the middle (normal operating temp) within like 45-60 seconds of start up driving??. Its not overheating everything's fine never goes past the middle but it's crazy that it moves that fast from cold,, most every car I know takes at least 5-10 minutes of driving from cold to get to the middle normal mark!..The awesome thing is I have heat in like a minute in the winter which I like.. I just want to make sure I don't have a big air bubble in the cooling system or something and screw up the engine.. If yours does the same thing then I wont worry.. thank you

@'14 Connect - my 2015 TC does the same as well as others that have provided input over the years. All normal.

And the heat is retained for a few hours sometimes. It's great when you get back in the van and want instant heat.

I think the heater kicks ass in this van, maybe a little too well. The center console still gets pretty hot, even after getting the unused vent plugs fixed.

Before the excess heat was affecting the sides and front plastic trim of the lower center console. Now all the heat pours out of the center vents and really gets cooking.

I've never tested the van in cold environments so can't speak to how fast the radiator heat wanes when it's below 50ish outside.

The sensor for the temperature needle is actually a cylinder head temp sensor, not coolant temp. As I recall, someone said the sensor is between cylinders 2 & 3 on the top of the cylinder head. I have a ScanGuage II hooked up to my van, so I see actual real numbers for the coolant temp and it takes much longer than the dummy needle in the dash. When the dash is first showing "normal" temp, SG2 reports coolant temp of only about 115-130* and continues rising to 182-188* while driving; sitting idle after warm-up can spike up to 211-212*. 

8 hours ago, jrm223 said:

I have a ScanGuage II hooked up to my van,

I like those.  I have 1 in my truck.

8 hours ago, jrm223 said:

When the dash is first showing "normal" temp, SG2 reports coolant temp of only about 115-130*

Idle drops and vehicle is "warmed up" by 90℉