Ford Transit Connect Forum

Antenna replacement?

I haven't had such a poor radio in a vehicle since my VW's in the 60's!!! The reception sucks, the sound quality sucks! I'm thinking of getting a fender mount antenna since I do listen to a particular AM talk radio show. New speakers are going to be a must also. I'm really liking the little van okay but some of the driver accessories are really sub-standard for this country. :angry:

Well I thought I'd try radio improvement via antenna. I realize this is opposite from what most are doing but my AM reception was simply awful. I had some standard Ford screw-in antenna masts but the thread pitch was wrong. So I took a broken one, found a screw of the proper size/thread, drilled a pilot hole in the screw head, inserted the mast and welded it together. :spiteful: Installed it and wah-lah, reception. :woohoo: So the issue IS the crappy little short antenna. Now I'll be happy until I probably break it off! It needs a spring base........ And FWIW, I don't park it inside.

• 1 year later...

Hi folks,

I too had a problem with my 2012 TC clearing the garage door frame; a mere 1". Fortunately, my wife has a 2011 Ford Fiesta. I noticed that the Fiesta antenna looked identical to the TC antenna but is 3" shorter; Fiesta = approx. 10", TC = approx. 13". I made the easy swap and now my TC has ample room to access the garage, Oh Happy Days!!! Best of all, it's OEM and has the same fit and finish, no modifications necessary. For all intents and purposes, I do not notice any degradation in performance. There may be other Ford models that have a similar antenna but this one I can vouche for.

Happy Motoring,

Daoyin

• 1 month later...

Hi Daoyin,

I didn't happen to have a Ford Fiesta laying around, but at $10.93 + tax, it was a good investment to buy one for my 2012 TC also. I had the same situation where it was in inch too tall and now with the Fiesta antenna I have an inch or two to spare.

For others reading this, the part number is 18813. I also can't speak to any performance degradation because even without an antenna I could still get the station or two I care about with only a little static. Probably because I live in a major metropolitan area.

Thanks!

Jim

Hi folks,

I too had a problem with my 2012 TC clearing the garage door frame; a mere 1". Fortunately, my wife has a 2011 Ford Fiesta. I noticed that the Fiesta antenna looked identical to the TC antenna but is 3" shorter; Fiesta = approx. 10", TC = approx. 13". I made the easy swap and now my TC has ample room to access the garage, Oh Happy Days!!! Best of all, it's OEM and has the same fit and finish, no modifications necessary. For all intents and purposes, I do not notice any degradation in performance. There may be other Ford models that have a similar antenna but this one I can vouche for.

Happy Motoring,

Daoyin

• 4 months later...

I bought this one:

http://www.amazon.com/TORQUE-SOLUTION-BILLET-SHORTY-ANTENNA/dp/B0087BAG4Y/

for $12.99, including shipping.

(I hope they have it for a while, and this doesn't turn into another dead link.)

Any "stubby" antenna will work. Just use that word in your search. The one I bought has the same flare to it as the original, to keep the water out (in theory).

A dab of grease on the threads and I was in business.

I, too, had terrific reception with NO antenna. FM stations up to 40 miles, even AM stations (50kW ones) around the entire metropolitan area.

But the little stubby antenna made a world of difference. Now I can get all of those lower-power, spanish-speaking stations!

And it fits in my garage, which was important.

• 1 month later...

I bought this one:

http://www.amazon.com/TORQUE-SOLUTION-BILLET-SHORTY-ANTENNA/dp/B0087BAG4Y/

for $12.99, including shipping.

(I hope they have it for a while, and this doesn't turn into another dead link.)

Any "stubby" antenna will work. Just use that word in your search. The one I bought has the same flare to it as the original, to keep the water out (in theory).

A dab of grease on the threads and I was in business.

I, too, had terrific reception with NO antenna. FM stations up to 40 miles, even AM stations (50kW ones) around the entire metropolitan area.

But the little stubby antenna made a world of difference. Now I can get all of those lower-power, spanish-speaking stations!

And it fits in my garage, which was important.

Thanks for the tip and link.

I ordered one for our TC and it works as good as the original equipment antenna - and the TC now fits through the garage door with an antenna installed!

Mark

This topic has been discussed since the first posters back at the end of 2009. Poor radio reception was a hot topic and , of course, antennas were discussed. Looking back on those postings, I am not suprised none of us suggested a shark fin antenna since we were all looking for better reception. In your case, here is the web site, http://www.visualgarage.com/home.html .I would only recommend the shark fin antenna if you receive stations without any antenna connected! It is really no better than a stubby 2 inch antenna, but looks very good, especially painted to match your transit connect! It resolves the antenna height issue, but only if you live in a metropolitan area with strong radio signals.

Edited by 103west43rd

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Part of the issue with reception is how the broadcast tower polarizes the transmitted signal. I *think* most AM broadcasters are vertical (due to the longer wavelength), and FM could be either direction. If you know a local amateur radio operator, he may have better information about this. There was a ham antenna made many years back that was basically a rectangle, and it mounted on the roof with suction cups. Not the most ideal solution, but one to think about with all those mounting points up there.

cosmicray, you are correct, FM broadcast signals are a combination of both, and with some also using circular polarization. Verticle polarization is the prefered method. Just think about it, what type of polarization is the automobile "wip" antenna? Vertical. Where are the vast majority of FM radio broadcasts received? In automobiles! Amateur radio operators (Hams)(yes, I am one) use all three,vertical, horizontal and circular antenna polaization when using FM. For example, handheld (walkie talkies) and most mobile are vertical, directional antennas (from fixed locations) are horizontal and satellite antennas are circular. Yes, years ago, there was a FM mobile antenna hams used just as you described, called a Squalo. Look at my gallery, I have a vertical ham radio FM antenna mounted on my left rear door. Thanks for the interesting posting.

• 7 months later...

I was also afraid my TC wouldn't fit under the garage door. The door frame was plenty high. The panels when up are high enough. I realized the door's bottom edge didn't open up as high as the frame opening. On the opener rail there are adjustable stops that tell the opened where to stop the door at both the open and closed positions. I had an extra foot or so I could move the open stop, so I moved it. Now my door's bottom edge stops a little bit above the door frame. My TC slides through with ease, antenna and all.

My point? The solution may be to adjust your garge door. It worked for me.

4DThinker,

You're a genious. Big thanks.

In anticipation of getting a 2014/15 TC, I was agonizing over my low garage door opening at 78.5". The van has a height of 72" plus the antenna. I was already assuming I'd have to replace the antenna. Found this thread and when I read your post the light went on. The garage door opener was only lifting the door to this height, but the header was a few inches higher. I adjusted the opener and now the door opens slightly above the header, so I now have an 82" clearance with 10" to spare above the van. That is so awesome. Can't thank you enough except for the fact that you're making feel really dumb for not figuring this out myself.

• 2 months later...