Ford Transit Connect Forum

Aftermarket Wheels and TPMS

Well it looks like I've secured my transit connect, I pick it up March 31st and I guess I'll know on April 1st if i am a fool or not. :rolleyes:

Anyway I am already picking out aftermarket wheels for the transit and I am wondering what other people have done in regards to the Tire Pressure Monitoring System with their aftermarket wheels?

Anyone not install the sensors on their new wheels?

What error codes? Dash light? Anoying Beeps?

thanks!

Well it looks like I've secured my transit connect, I pick it up March 31st and I guess I'll know on April 1st if i am a fool or not. rolleyes.gif

Anyway I am already picking out aftermarket wheels for the transit and I am wondering what other people have done in regards to the Tire Pressure Monitoring System with their aftermarket wheels?

Anyone not install the sensors on their new wheels?

What error codes? Dash light? Anoying Beeps?

thanks!

I bought the T/C in August and before having it two weeks, changed the wheels and tires. The TPMS on mine gives me the warning light after about 25 miles of higway driving.

1: I bought wheels/tires and had the sensors put in them to begin with. The cost was not terrible.

2: I bought aluminum/alloy wheels that are larger both ways than the little steel factory wheels at 16" X 7", and then Kumho Ectsa Premium 225/55R16 tires that are better rated (by far) than the Continentals that were there to begin with. (Not to mention the fact they are also FAR more quiet!)

The problem with the TPMS as I see it, is that the factory settings for the TPMS are based on the pressure settings for the tires that the factory put on. They recommend 34PSI in the front and 49PSI in the rear - which I suppose if you were to load the thing to the hilt and drive it that way constantly, would not be a problem. I don't. With the sensors being set for those pressures, and a normally prodent person looking at the tire installed by the factory being a "special capacity" tire to even hold 49PSI, it is kind of silly overall.

So that being said, I run my tires at 42PSI cold (translates to 44PSI hot) on both ends. They wear fine so far (11500 miles on them), and the T/C rides AND handles FAR better than with the smaller Continentals. The track is a bit wider due to a slightly different offset and width of the wheels, and the treadwidth is considerably wider than the oginials. The difference in wind (and rain) is substantial as it is more stable now. I drove it about 850 miles before the switch out and don't miss those noisy Continentals at ALL, and the gas mileage is the same as before, if not a little better due to the higher pressure up front.

I was also initially told that the parameters for the computer in control of the TPMS could be changed to accept my present pressure settings, but I have not desired to pay to have this done. I have repeatedly attempted to reset, and also to "retrain" the system. Fail.

END RESULT:

I get the little light on the dash most all the time now, but have seen no other lights or problems associated with the TPMS system other than that. While it would be nice NOT to see that stupid little light most of the time (or at all for that matter!), mostly due to the fact I watch my tires pretty much all the time before driving to see that they look normal and inflated. And furthermore, I don't feel that a little sensor is required to inform me that I may need to check the pressure. I honestly think this TPMS thing is an issue created by frivolous lawsuits over injury accidents where the cause was attributed to tire problems, most of which could have been prevented by at least looking at the tires at the point the gas tank was refilled each time, or possibly before sticking the key in and turning it before each use. How long does it take? (Really the question is "do you value your (and others as well) life that little?)

Sorry for the rant, but the tire/wheel thing is one of those personal choices you make (especially when given a vehicle with what are undoubtably the world's ugliest wheel covers!) when you want to improve its' looks and performance overall. While I'm not an advocate of these huge tires/wheels on the average car (like the guy at one shop who wanted to have me put 22" wheels/tires on my T/C "'cause that is like, cool, man"), I have usually stepped the tire size up a little just to get a little better ride and a bit more economy from the vehicle, not to look like a "Hot Wheels" cars from the back in the days of my youth. Ok, so they were a little after the days of my youth... but I still remember seeing them. As far as the wheels go, there are photos in the gallery of my T/C and the changes to it so far.

Roland C.

Happily Transiting shift.gif

Edited by REC

Thanks, Roland. I am an avid tire pressure checker myself. Trickle down effect of racing motorcycles.

So it sounds like the solution is dash dis-assembly and pulling the light bulb or possibly the fuse if one exists for the TPMS.

First a thank you to REC, it was a picture of your van with the aftermarket wheels and tires that pushed me to follow your example.

I'd heard good things about Tire Rack and visited the web site and I followed their procedure for selecting a combination wheel and tire package.

I started out by specifying the larger size. REC did not mention if there was a fit issue so I assumed that there was not (I suppose I could of asked, but I'm one of those guys who hates asking for directions 8), that's why I bought a GPS). Anyway. . .

I bought the 225/55R-16 Bridgestone Potenza tires and had then fitted to aluminum 16x7 Sport Edition F2 Silver wheels.

They look like what REC has pictured in the gallery section under his name.

I went with the Bridgestones because I had them on my Subaru Outback and was very happy with their performance.

For the record they do not rub or scrape the chassis, fenders, etc., that I can tell. Hopefully, as they say, your mileage will not vary.

The price, including the Tire Pressure Sensors was under $1100.00 including shipping and I should be getting a form from Tire Rack for $75.00 back from Bridgestone on the tires.

The B pillar tire pressure specification for my TC said 36 psi for the front tires. For the time being I filled all four tires to 36 psi.

My Transit Connect XLT is my primary ride and is not used for business. It will never be loaded to the max specified so I don't see a need for a higher pressure in the rear tires.

I just installed them this morning and took them for a short drive. All seems good. Will post an update in a little while when I get a few more miles on them.

Keep On Trucking

Roland M (boomer43)

First a thank you to REC, it was a picture of your van with the aftermarket wheels and tires that pushed me to follow your example.

I'd heard good things about Tire Rack and visited the web site and I followed their procedure for selecting a combination wheel and tire package.

I started out by specifying the larger size. REC did not mention if there was a fit issue so I assumed that there was not (I suppose I could of asked, but I'm one of those guys who hates asking for directions 8), that's why I bought a GPS). Anyway. . .

I bought the 225/55R-16 Bridgestone Potenza tires and had then fitted to aluminum 16x7 Sport Edition F2 Silver wheels.

They look like what REC has pictured in the gallery section under his name.

I went with the Bridgestones because I had them on my Subaru Outback and was very happy with their performance.

For the record they do not rub or scrape the chassis, fenders, etc., that I can tell. Hopefully, as they say, your mileage will not vary.

The price, including the Tire Pressure Sensors was under $1100.00 including shipping and I should be getting a form from Tire Rack for $75.00 back from Bridgestone on the tires.

The B pillar tire pressure specification for my TC said 36 psi for the front tires. For the time being I filled all four tires to 36 psi.

My Transit Connect XLT is my primary ride and is not used for business. It will never be loaded to the max specified so I don't see a need for a higher pressure in the rear tires.

I just installed them this morning and took them for a short drive. All seems good. Will post an update in a little while when I get a few more miles on them.

Keep On Trucking

Roland M (boomer43)

You have achieved carpenter status -- you hit the nail on the head.

I used Kumho Ecsta Platinum tires, same size you refer. I looked at the "quiet" and mileage ratings... I also looked at the fact they weighed 2 lbs less per tire than the same size Michelin (first choice), and for four, were $100 less. Kinda looked like a home run, and so far, they're fine (presently have 12K miles on them.) Huge difference in transmitted road noise, and running at 42 psi cold. (Think fuel mileage...)

By the way... Ya gotta watch them guys named Roland....

Roland C.

Happily Transiting shift.gif

• 2 months later...

What I have found out about TPMS:

1. The target pressures are set in the computer of the vehicle. The sensors are just generic pressure variable radio transmitters. So trying to find sensors from a different vehicle that requires the pressures you want to use will not do anything.

2. Some of the service people at the local dealership are checking to see if there is any way to reset the target pressures in the computer. Turns out I was not the first one to make a request like this. So far they haven't found any way to do it.

3. One customer at the dealership did find a way. He built a container that could hold all four of the sensors and could be pressurized. Put all four sensors in the container, pressurize it to the proper pressure, and stick the container under the seat. Thia would require two different containers for the TC because of the differing front and rear pressures. Anyone have the size measurements of the sensors?

4. An electrical engineer/ham radio operator friend of mine tells me that if I can get the frequency and waveform of the output of the sensors he could build some transmitters to duplicate the sensor output. He said a transmitter could probably be built for less than the cost of one of the sensors and be about the size of a match box. Just get 4 and throw them in the glovebox!

LET ME TRY AND HELP EVERYONE WITH THE RESET OF THE TPMS. I TRIED THE PROCEEDURE IN THE OWNERS MANUAL, BUT ID DID NOT WORK. I SPOKE TO AN EX STUDENT OF MINE WHO WORKS AT THE PARTS COUNTER AT THE LOCAL DEALERSHIP AND HE GAVE ME THE SECRET. I FOUND ON E-BAY A FORD ACTIVATION TOOL PART NUMBER 8CZT-1A203-AA FOR ABOUT $35.00. IT WORKS BUT THE FORD GUYS TOLD ME THAT A MAGNET WORKS JUST AS WELL. THEY RECOMMEND ONE OF THOSE ROUND MAGNETS YOU FIND IN THE BOTTOM OF AN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION PAN.

FOLLOW THE PROCEEDURE FROM THE SERVICE MANUAL NOT THE OWNERS MANUAL.

1.TURN THE IGNITION SWITCH TO THE OFF POSITION, THEN PRESS AND RELEASE THE BRAKE PEDAL.

2. CYCLE THE IGNITION SWITCH FROM THE OFF POSITION TO THE RUN POSITION 3 TIMES ENDING IN THE RUN POSITION.

3.PRESS AND RELEASE THE BRAKE PEDAL

4. TURN THE IGNITION WWITCH TO THE OFF POSITION.

5. TURN THE IGNITION SWITCH FROM OFF POSITION TO THE RUN POSITION 3 TIMES, ENDING IN THE RUN POSITION.

THE HORN WILL SOUND ONCE ANT THE TPMS INDICATOR WILL FLASH IF THE TRAINING MODE HAS BEEN ENTERED SUCCESSFULLY.

6. IT MAY TAKE UP TO 6 SECONDS TO ACTIVATE A TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR.

7.WITH IN 2 MINUTES OF THE HORN SOUNDING, PLACE THE TPM ACTIVATION TOOL ( OR ROUND MAGNET) ON THE LEFT FRONT TIRE SIDEWALL AT THE VALVE STEM AND PRESS AND RELEASE THE THE TEST BUTTON TO TRAIN THE LF TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR. THE HORN WILL SOUND.

8 DO NOT WAIT MORE THA 2 MINUTES BETWEEN TRAINING OR THE PROCESS WILL HAVE TO START OVER. REPEAT

STEP 7 FOR THE RF, RR, THE LR IN THAT ORDER, THE HORN WILL SOUND BRIEFLY WITH EACH RESET. TURN THE IGNITION SWITCH TO OFF. IF THERE IS NOT HORN, THE RESET WAS SUCCESSFUL. IF THE HORN BEEPS TWICE WHEN THE SWITCH IS TURNED OFF TRAINING WAS UNSUCCESSFUL AND NEEDS TO BE RE DONE.

I REPLACED BY AND WHEELS WITH 1997 LINCOLN MARK VII 10 SPOKE ALLOYS 16X7 AND PUT GENERAL ALTIMAX 225-55 16 TIRES. I KEEP 51 PSI IN THE REAR AND 46PSI IN THE FRONT. THE TIRES AND NEW TPMS I GOT FROM TIRE RACK, THEY ARE EXTREMELY HELPFUL. IT LOOKS AND HANDLES GREAT. I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO DOWNLOAD PICTURES TO THE GALLERY, BUT IT WILL NOT LOAD. IF YOU WANT PICTURES PLEASE E-MAIL ME.

WOODY

Edited by JWWOODY

• 1 year later...

I am very curious to hear if there is new news on this.

Woody, I read your post, and I'm glad those wheels fit your machine so well :-D

It sounds like the procedure you used properly mates the new TPMS to the car, but it does not retrain for new minimum pressure ratings. Is that correct?

You said that you were using 46psi-F/51psi-R, which is probably within the spec of the original computer programming for the Conti tires.

I'm concerned that the tires I want to use won't handle well at those high pressures, very few performance Summer tires do.

Am I correct, that a few of us are still looking for solutions to reset the Min/Max pressures in the computer?

Best,

- Eli

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey im wondering if anybody has tried bigger mud A/T tires on the T/C im looking at the BF goodrich A/T 6 ply in a 225 75 R15 going to see if I can squeeze m under. Hoping there wont be too much headache but maybe somebody has tried already?? Maybe I gotta invent a suspension mod to do it anyhow I need clearance n traction if there was a 4x4 option would be sweet

• 2 years later...

I realize this is an old thread, but.. I wanted to point something out here. In the beginning we wanted the Yokohama Geolandars on our 015 TC XL SWB van.. and our shop foreman informed us that this tire would fit snuggly but the ride quality and handling would suffer. I've since checked the Yokohama site for any updates because I've requested that they redesign a Geolandar type tire for us smaller cars. In fact they did, but the size didn't decrease.. instead it increased. Which is disappointing. lets keep in mind there is a comfort zone which we can't cross because of rubbing and clearance.. that zone stops at 26.1 (unofficial) So I'm under the assumption that a tire that actually measures between 25.7 - 25.9 would be an acceptable and larger option for the TC. (depending on the offset of course)

According to boomer43's post (which we haven't heard from and a long while) says he has not seen or heard any rubbing issues with his Bridgestone 225/55/16's.. but again, there isn't any info about what year TC he drives or he's since removed this data. According to Bridgestone and other sites.. the max load rating on these tires is 1477.. or 94 index.. which is less than it should be for the 014-Current TC. But hey what ever floats your boat.. We're option for a large more load rating tire in the future.

Edited by LostInTransit