Ford Transit Connect Forum

Roof attachment points on 2014 Transit Connect

hdrider

I’m trying to put together specs for the purchase of a new 2014 TC along with up fit equipment for my business. I’ve been trying for weeks to get information regarding the roof attachment points.

The TCs I’ve looked at at the dealers have a series of black plugs in the roof, which cover some sort of holes that apparently can be used to attach equipment to. (See attached photo). I contacted the dealer to find out what was under these plugs (threads?) and how to remove them (pry out? screw out?), so I could figure out how I am going to attach equipment.

The dealer had been unable to get answers, and someone finally convinced the service manager that they should try to get one of these plugs out. (They didn’t want to allow it because they were afraid it would cause a leak.) They told me these pry out and there is just a hole underneath with no threads. Now they are telling me they saw some reference to factory installed rails that use these holes. However the dealer hasn’t been able to figure out what the rails are, or how to order them. If there are factory rails, that would be great, because I could attach to the rails. I'm not sure how I could seal the holes if I bolt through them.

Meanwhile, I emailed and called Ford for technical information, using numbers found on their web site. (They email you back and tell you they can’t answer questions by email, you have to call). So far they have been unable to get answers on any of this (after a few weeks).

Does anyone know anything about this, or have a way to get through to anyone at Ford who can answer basic questions about the vehicle and specifications for ordering? I would like to order the vehicle with factory rails if available, or if not, figure out how to use the holes and seal them properly.

I have also contacted a large national up fitter, who happens to be based locally, but they don't seem to know anything about the 2014 TC, and said they have no equipment (yet) that will attach to it.

post-3981-0-60686300-1391869651_thumb.jp

hdrider, thanks for posting about the 2014 Transit Connect. As in 2009 when the Transit Connect first came to the US, those of us who were early adopters needed to find our own answers. You seem to be in that same place with the 2014! The Ford factory accessory online catalogue shows Thule crossbars that work with Ford factory rails, so the factory rails must exist. The Ford "Build your Transit Connect" site lists the roof rails as a $135 accessory. Good luck and please keep this forum updated.

As a further update, the Ford online parts catalogue, http://www.fordparts.com/Default.aspx?gnav=nav:home , lists roof rails under parts numbers 55122A, 55122B, 513A08A and the roof rack under parts numbers 55100, 55100A, 55100B and 55100C. The interesting item is part number HN1 which seems to be the mounting plugs you mentioned.

I usually say go to another Ford dealer when they do not seem to be interested in helping a customer with information. The dealer you are dealing with at least took out the plugs to check, so they are worth staying with. Tell them to look harder for your answers!

Edited by 103west43rd

I also asked my dealer to find out if it's possible to order the rails like the Tourneo Connect has. I am yet to hear from them.

So, over here there are OEM rails for the model with seats, along the roof and the crossbars clamp to these.

Thank you 103rdwest43rd.

I have been through the "Build your Transit Connect" application multiple times, but am unable to find the roof rails listed as an option. If you have a link or a way to get to them, that would be appreciated. Perhaps they are not available on the model I am configuring which is a long wheel base, XLT cargo van, but I'm not sure why that would be.

I plugged in the parts numbers you gave on the Fordparts.com, but they show up as not found. However by going to the model number, and looking for roof parts, I did find part 513A08A, which is described as a roof track. Sounds right, but there is no picture, unlike most of the other parts, so I'm not sure. How did you find these parts?

If you have a link to the accessories catalog, I may be able to start with the Thule crossbars you mentioned and go from there.

I went to the Chicago Auto Show this morning, and talked to the Ford people there, but they didn't know whether roof rails were available, or much else about the vehicle.

Ford sure does not make it easy.

Edited by hdrider

• 3 months later...

From what I understand, you might not be able to add a roof rack to all 2015 Transit Connects (certain models) because of the air bags.

Robert - how does an exterior roof rack affect interior air bags?

I'd like to order roof racks for my TC Van but as HRIDER said, it's not available in the configurator.

I tried the configurator for the Wagon - Titantium version and the option is available under Exterior. Attached is a screen grab.

• 1 month later...

Gentlemen-

I am having the same problem on my new 2014. In order to use the FORD ACCESSORY THULE CROSSBAR KIT, the vehicle must have the OEM roof rails (these fit within the channels in the roof panel). While an option at ordering or factory assembly @139.00, the rails are @500.00 per piece (L & R) over-the-counter.

These rails make it possible for the crossbars to be adjustable. There are kits for the commercial van that have fixed crossbars but they go to the roof panel and not within the drain channels.

In short, unless the truck was assembled with the roof rails you are in trouble. The replacement rails (service parts) should in no way (IMO) have such a high list.

post-4267-0-99865200-1403945797_thumb.jp

post-4267-0-47884100-1403945839_thumb.jp

post-4267-0-54883700-1403945859_thumb.jp

Kultulz,

Thanks for sharing your rack info.

I would agree that an orderable option for $139.00 shouldn't be $500 as a spare part.

Have you checked another source for getting this?

If you order a van model, you can not order roof rails or crossbars. It's not in the ordering guide.

Only an available option for wagon models. Not sure why Ford has this restriction.

If $500 covers only the roof rail kit, how much are the crossbars?

The 2015 ordering guide shows the roof rails and cross bars for $195 (MSRP)

Roof Rails only are $135 (MSRP)

I thought the fixed cross bar option uses the same attachment points in the channel as the roof rails use. Not sure what a Roof Panel attachment would be.

ADD-ON - If you look at the pic of the aftermarket one compared to the one I posted above from the web ordering guide, the length of the rail is different. The factory one is longer covering the entire track. The one you show seems shorter and leaves part of the track open in the front. not sure about the rear part.

Edited by windguy

Kultulz,

I would agree that an orderable option for $139.00 shouldn't be $500 as a spare part.

I have racked the internet and have come to find that the roof panel has been changed and the earlier rack mounting system(s) will not work on the 2013-2014.

If you order a van model, you can not order roof rails or crossbars. It's not in the ordering guide.

Only an available option for wagon models. Not sure why Ford has this restriction

It may be that the VAN is usually ordered as a work vehicle and the rail mounting system is not HD enough to support the racks for a commercial vehicle.

The 2015 ordering guide shows the roof rails and cross bars for $195 (MSRP). Roof Rails only are $135 (MSRP)

The FORD authorized crossbars are THULE and has a 359.00 accessory cost. The assembly cost is in the build catalog.

I thought the fixed cross bar option uses the same attachment points in the channel as the roof rails use. Not sure what a Roof Panel attachment would be.

No, the roof panels (mounting point reinforcements) are different.

ADD-ON - If you look at the pic of the aftermarket one compared to the one I posted above from the web ordering guide, the length of the rail is different. The factory one is longer covering the entire track. The one you show seems shorter and leaves part of the track open in the front. not sure about the rear part.

If you look real close, that is a 2012 mounting system.

It is confusing and maybe FORD will address this with the new 2015 model.

If you find anything else out, please advise. The dealer where I purchased mine (and I love this thing - took a while to get used to the apprerance) had very little information (and FORD offers very little). It has been a very trying experience.

Kultulz,

I have racked the internet and have come to find that the roof panel has been changed and the earlier rack mounting system(s) will not work on the 2013-2014.

Only an available option for wagon models. Not sure why Ford has this restriction

It may be that the VAN is usually ordered as a work vehicle and the rail mounting system is not HD enough to support the racks for a commercial vehicle.

BUT... Both vehicles have the same channels so I would think it possible to retrofit the van with WAGON rails if the van is used as a passenger vehicle (don't take just my view(s) as gospel).

The 2015 ordering guide shows the roof rails and cross bars for $195 (MSRP). Roof Rails only are $135 (MSRP)

The rails have a 500.00+ list per side-piece.

The FORD authorized crossbars are THULE and has an 359.00 accessory cost. The assembly cost is in the build catalog.

No, the roof panels (mounting point reinforcements) are different.

If you look real close, that is a 2012 mounting system.

It is confusing and maybe FORD will address this with the new 2015 model.

If you find anything else out, please advise. The dealer where I purchased mine (and I love this thing - took a while to get used to the apprerance) had very little information (and FORD offers very little). It has been a very trying experience.

-2014 FORD TRANSIT CONNECT ACCESSORY CATALOG-

post-4267-0-56845200-1404391139_thumb.jp

post-4267-0-32918400-1404391151_thumb.jp

post-4267-0-17115800-1404391206_thumb.jp

post-4267-0-72187400-1404391221_thumb.jp

post-4267-0-50240500-1404391233_thumb.jp

Edited by KULTULZ

so the rails are $500 per side, $1,000 for both. plus the crossbar kit for $359. That's $1,359 total.

That's insane considering it's only a $195 option on a wagon model. something is very wrong with this.

Curious how high that other rack system sits above the roof.

I have limited clearance in parking in the garage so wondering if that option would be an option.

I like the utility of having that on top even though it looks more fitting for an excursion van.

I guess I can contact Bluebox and see if he can share that info.

thanks for the link to the accessories catalog. It's sitting in plain sight on the configurator page but I overlooked it.

Edited by windguy

I checked out the Ford parts catalog and see the roof rails you're talking about and 103west43rd posted earlier.

LH for LWB - 55122B - $502.30

RH for LWB - 55122A - $521.88

HN1 - nut - $4.00 (will need a bunch of these)

Besides the fact that it's insanely expensive, why is the RH more expensive than the LH?

Ford really messed up big time on this option.

Found this link that shows all roof rack options as an accessory

http://accessories.ford.com/exterior/racks-carriers-dv-65.html?ef_id=U7WvEwAABS%400CKtw%3A20140705025704%3As&limit=60&searchid=61190431|2205149551|13921192412

Checking compatibility, nothing shows up for 2014. Perhaps their aftermarket supplier for these hasn't caught up to new van version.

Hope that situation changes soon.

I do see the Roof Basket option for $775.00, again only up to a 2013 van. You can get all that for $775 yet two rails by itself cost $1,024.

http://accessories.ford.com/roof-basket.html

Edited by windguy

"Maybe this would be a good resource for racks.

they show a 2014 TC option that's very reasonable. Located in Brooklyn, NY

They also provide a PDF instruction manual online."

Those are commercial van racks and are heavy duty although they can be used on a passenger van. They do not allow the crossbars to adjust as if you had a THULE cargo carrier. And they require drilling through the roof panel (it seems).

The install shown below has the channeled roof but the carrier is attacher per the earlier (pre-2013) units. I would like to know how he did it.

post-4267-0-31674900-1404555097_thumb.jp

Edited by KULTULZ

I think the primary advantage to the factory rails is that the crossbars can be removed when not being used.

that's how I use the racks for my wagon. I rarely use the crossbars. The commercial racks seem like a more permanent solution.

Not sure having them adjustable is a big advantage. I would always set the crossbars in the same location.

the basket option shown in the picture says it's easily removable in the product description. wonder what that means.

I guess we'd like to know more about this option. I will PM Bluebox and see if he can share more about his rack.

• 3 weeks later...

OK...

My selling dealer finally figured it out (I think)...

The rails (OEM SERVICE REPLACEMENT PARTS) require removing the headliner to bolt on from underneath the roof panel. The cross bars then simply attach to the rails.

Below are photos of my install with FORD OEM (rails) and FORD ACCESSORY crossbars (THULE)-

...sigh... My files are too large...

Regardless, the rails appear as exactly as on the FORD ACCESSORY CATALOG-

post-4267-0-10939500-1405893278_thumb.jp

Kultulz,

I believe the full length rail is designated for the PANARAMIC ROOF OPTION as shown on the attached photo-

...sigh (again)...

FILE TOO LARGE...

Anyways, GOOGLE for a PANARAMIC ROOF OPTION equipped Connect and you will see the extended (to the front) rail(s).

@kultulz,

glad you were able to get the rails installed.

was the cost less than what was shown in the Ford spare parts catalog, roughly $500 per side?

I talked to a dealer about that and he said that pricing can't be right and he'd look into it for me. haven't heard back yet.

regarding attaching photos, I always get this message that the max file size is something like 35KB, which is really small.

if I reduce the image size it gets too grainy sometimes (most of the time). Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

@kultulz,

glad you were able to get the rails installed.

was the cost less than what was shown in the Ford spare parts catalog, roughly $500 per side?

I talked to a dealer about that and he said that pricing can't be right and he'd look into it for me. haven't heard back yet.

regarding attaching photos, I always get this message that the max file size is something like 35KB, which is really small.

if I reduce the image size it gets too grainy sometimes (most of the time). Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

The wagon did not come through with the roof rails as it was on the lot. When I requested a roof rack like described in the ACCESSORY CATALOG, the salesman said no problem and charged me the amount of the cross-bars. When he found out that the rails were not included and that expensive, he had to eat them as the complete rack was included on the deal.

I also requested a dealer radio upgrade to SIRIUS but the conversion is not available from FORD. It has to be assembled with the upgrade radio (I double checked this with another radio shop).

As for sizing, I am for the most part computer illiterate.

Hope all of this helps the next guy. FORD really dropped the ball on this TRANSIT CONNECT IMO.

I also checked Yakima and they have nothing yet for the 2014 Transit Connect. Maybe Thule will be first? I already have crossbars that fit a Thule rack.

There is an affordable rail kit but is marketed in UK. I don't know if it will work on the US model.

HERE- http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-TRANSIT-CONNECT-LWB-ALUMINIUM-ALLOY-ROOF-RAILS-RACK-BARS-/130814973114?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CommercialVehicleParts_SM&hash=item1e752e14ba

They appear slightly different (mounting) from the US rails I now have (appearance the same).

I am a REDNECK suddenly thrusted into an international world... :victory:

post-4267-0-13569300-1405955121_thumb.jp