Ford Transit Connect Forum

TC News

madlock

Ford has chosen this week's Chicago Auto Show to reveal some of its plans for the future of TC in North America

http://www.autonews.com/article/20100209/OEM04/100209862/1156

It includes a Taxi variant and the $60,000 all-electric model with 75-mile range.

Wow! I think I'll stick with my loaded TC at 23K. The extra 37K I save will buy a lot of fuel and another TC after this one wears out. Ford should give serious thought to the turbo-diesel with optional manual trans.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Someone at ford must have there head so far buired up there ass with no light or oxygen to unviel all electric with a 75 mile range. There are so many other things that would appeal to the mass market then a freakin 75mile transit connect. How about back up camera, bigger mirrors, A front seat that folds out of the way or into a work top, Rear quick remove seats,Clear the center between the two front seats for long thin material, Diesel engine, Standard transmission, Longer wheellbase. And I am sure there is more. OWW OWW freakin towing capabilites. I have only yet scratched the surface I have read a lot of other great ideas. Ford did well with this car. But there is room for improvement. Boy that just frosts my ass. What the hell are they doing bring an all electric to the market is it a statement (look what we can do) put a freakin diesel in the dam thing.

Edited by Joe

• 1 month later...

The entire point of the electric is that it's total cost of ownership will be lower than a gasoline vehicle over its lifespan. This point has been proven again and again. So you take a $60k price tag, with a lease or loan, and a lower "fuel" cost, and you end up paying about the same per month as with a gasoline vehicle. But you're immune to gas price shocks and gas shortages, and your fleet maintenance costs are lower. Electric vehicles typically last longer due to their mechanical simplicity. Every 5 or so years you replace the battery pack, but even that, factored into total costs, is not a big deal.

The 75-mile range is based on hilly city driving, so on flatter ground it will be higher. This will cover all the needs for many companies with urban delivery & urban tradesman applications. It would practically cover mine except I occasionally have 125 - 150 mile days, some of which occur on an emergency basis so there's no time to rent a gas vehicle for the added range.

Think like a fleet owner. The lower TCO is a major selling point, even if the sticker price is higher.

That's how I'm thinking. I may be using mine for purposes for which it wasn't designed or intended, IDK. If that is the case then Ford is restricting their own market, even more so with the overpriced electric model. If they are targeting a market, okay. If they are restricting the vehicle to a market, not so good. You're actually just feeding my argument. The 75, or even 125, mile electric vehicle travel distance leaves out a major part of the market. My three travel days are 500,300 & 200 miles so I wouldn't even look in it's direction. Fuel prices do fluctuate but so far it averages out over a few months. Besides, going from a 14-15 mpg E250 Super Duty to this 25 mpg TC is saving a chunk in daily operation costs. Longevity/maintenance costs? After putting just under 200K on each of my last 3 E250's with only tires and oil changes I seriously doubt this TC will measure up to that. And what IS the cost of that battery pack replacement????

That "saves money over its life span" argument is fine, but hard to swallow when there is $35,000 to make up over a gas model. Right now gas is $2.70ish where I live, but I'll offer $3.50 for this calculation. The electric TC will have a 70 mile practical range. Lets use 40 as the daily miles for 10,000 a year or so. My gas TC is getting 20.1mpg in town so far. We'll use 20.

40 miles at $3.50 each 20 consumes $7.00 each day. That 35,000 will run my TC 5000 days, or 13.7 years.

If I keep either just 10 years (long for me) I'll have burned up $25,500 or so in gas, with $9,500 left for oil changes and gas engine related maintenance.

Someone will need to provide maintenance cost for electric drive systems over 10 years. It can't be $0. Every penny spent to keep the electric TC running also increases its total cost. Electricity isn't free. Tires still wear out. Electric motors wear out.

This is the same math hybrid vehicle makers have to deal with, and you don't see hyrbids being prices 3x the price of gas versions. $60k may see a few vehicles sold, but nobody will be "saving" money over the long haul at that price.

• 6 months later...

For comparison. The Mercedes-Benz C-Class starts something around $31k, I believe. I would never pay $60k for a TC, never! If they put a diesel it would get triple the range of the petrol and last a million times longer. The body rust before the engine would go bad.

• 7 years later...

Close to 9 years after this thread started, here I am, having just joined the forum this evening after winning an auction on a one-owner 2012 TCE last week (not yet delivered).

It was a company vehicle.  The guy said he loved it, but only drove 10,100 miles.  And when it quit working, instead of trying to find out WHY, he put it up for sale.  

Apparently he paid $70,000.  With shipping, I will have paid about 7.5% of that.  Long before bidding, I did a quick search and found what the problem most likely is.  Any guesses?

I'll let you know how it goes, and whether we decide to keep it.