Ford Transit Connect Forum

Turbocharger?

tone007

19 members have voted

1. 1. Turbocharger?

• Yes
    • No

I think partly a turbocharger would help, but I also think the gearing sucks. It seems like torque is best at around 4500 RPM, but even if you punch it to build up speed, the RPMs drop back so far each time it shifts that you get an awful lag till you get back up to around 4000 RPM. It's marginally better with OD turned off. I've literally tried pushing against the steering wheel in a sad attempt to help it go faster ;)

I honestly think the vehicle is fast enough when you need it to be (while unloaded, at least,) and something had to be done with the gearing/shift points to make an engine used to moving 2600lbs around suitable in a vehicle that weighs nearly 1000lbs more. I might feel differently about the acceleration when I've got 1000lbs of stuff in the back...

I've been reading the Ford Focus forums for information on engine/transmission modifications to dream up some "what if?" ideas for the Transit Connect. I seem to remember reading the general consensus is that the automatic transmission will have a short life if mated up to turbo engine with any meaningful power output.

I think the best and worst thing about the Transit Connect is that it is exactly what Ford says it is: A small work van. Asking any more of it might be disappointing. I still think that a small diesel mated to a transmission with useful ratios would make this great van even better. I'm no automotive engineer, but since they ALREADY HAVE THEM overseas I can't be that far off.

I think the best and worst thing about the Transit Connect is that it is exactly what Ford says it is: A small work van. Asking any more of it might be disappointing. I still think that a small diesel mated to a transmission with useful ratios would make this great van even better. I'm no automotive engineer, but since they ALREADY HAVE THEM overseas I can't be that far off.

I agree with you on one hand. The downside for me is that at under full weight (approx. 4500 lbs) I end up in some dangerous situations where I need to join traffic and can't do it safely (by "safely" I mean in a way that doesn't force other drivers to change speed or direction). Most highway on-ramps are long enough to allow me to get up to speed, but regular intersections on busy roads can be a real wait till there's a large enough opening. It certainly doesn't make the people behind me happy... :(

I agree with you on one hand. The downside for me is that at under full weight (approx. 4500 lbs) I end up in some dangerous situations where I need to join traffic and can't do it safely (by "safely" I mean in a way that doesn't force other drivers to change speed or direction). Most highway on-ramps are long enough to allow me to get up to speed, but regular intersections on busy roads can be a real wait till there's a large enough opening. It certainly doesn't make the people behind me happy... :(

I've been in that situation and it sucks, absolutely. I keep harping on the diesel option because I think it would be the best type of engine for a vehicle like this. I heard a saying once that went, "People buy horsepower but they drive torque". A diesel could give the fully-loaded Transit Connect the grunt it needed to get out of its own way.

Don't most (if not all) of the other Ford Commercial Vehicles available in North America come with a diesel option?

• 2 months later...

I have had my TC less than a week and I already have 1440 miles on it. I drive a lot and most of it freeway. This thing is awesome except the engine is just too under powered. I think a 6cyl would serve it better.

I drove over some moderate mountains and had it floored just to keep 50mph! (empty).

I have a 2007 focus as well. Its peppy with 1-2 people. but 4 adults and it drags significantly. I think we are all just suffering from the early adopters consequence. Sounds like each year will get better and better.

My vote would be:

to have a 4cyl or 6cyl option with fords new eco-boost.

I just wish it wouldn't be so willing to drop all the way down into 2nd when cruising at up a hill at 65-70mph. 3rd is fine but there is such a small margin of difference in throttle position between getting 3rd or 2nd on a hill at that speed. Also wish it had a Yaw sensor thats tied into transmission function. Almost everything else out there does including my Scion and my "old" '03 Dodge P/U. In mountain driving they only make sense.

• 10 months later...

To those that have had there TC for awhile I have a couple of questions.

1. Is the 2.0 Dura Tec in the U.S. version of the vehicle the same as the 2.0 Dura Tec in the Focus?

2. If the answer to 1 is yes then would a forced induction system from a focus work on the TC?

3. Someone asked earlier if the you would need to change transmission, it would be my guess that you would need to replace the differential as well.

Looking at purchasing a TC in the next 60 days ans trying to map strategy for engine work before purchase. Any help on this is appreciated.

To those that have had there TC for awhile I have a couple of questions.

1. Is the 2.0 Dura Tec in the U.S. version of the vehicle the same as the 2.0 Dura Tec in the Focus?

Yes, it seems that only the ECU is a little different.

2. If the answer to 1 is yes then would a forced induction system from a focus work on the TC?

Yes. The layout might be a little different so you may need to tweak some things.

3. Someone asked earlier if the you would need to change transmission, it would be my guess that you would need to replace the differential as well.

That is what everyone thinks. I am hopeful that in a Turbo configuration it will be ok as long as it isn't flogged around. We are adding a cooler and a temp gauge, so I will have some before and after specs. The increase in torque is probably the real killer. I originally went down the road of crank, rods, pistons, cams, springs, injectors, coils, intake, headers, exhaust. This would not increase the torque as drastically as a turbo, but would have big power at the top end. My mechanic found some people who had gone this route with the 2.0 Duratec in the Focus and it seemed like a disaster. You achieve 200hp, but the engine requires Premium fuel + additive and it runs very rough at low rpm. Total cost for this route was between 8-10K.

Looking at purchasing a TC in the next 60 days ans trying to map strategy for engine work before purchase. Any help on this is appreciated.