Ford Transit Connect Forum

front brake pads almost gone at 9k ??

Dan GSR

my TC is used in NYC for stop and go traffic, with 8,800 miles on it

today i did an oil change and tire rotation, and noticed that the front pads were VERY low

is this normal for this car?

are there any alternatives for pads? or only dealer pads available? maybe pads for a focus will fit ??

Edited by Dan GSR

my TC is used in NYC for stop and go traffic, with 8,800 miles on it

today i did an oil change and tire rotation, and noticed that the front pads were VERY low

is this normal for this car?

are there any alternatives for pads? or only dealer pads available? maybe pads for a focus will fit ??

In NYC stop-and-go, 9K miles wouldn't seem to be an altogether unusual service interval for a light duty truck's brakes.

The TC has been around for about 9 years now, so just about every parts maker makes compatible pads. You may be best-served by choosing pads that are rated for severe duty fleet service.

Best of luck.

Dan. I live in NY and do fleet repair for the local phone company. 9K miles is UNACCEPTABLE for "normal" wearout of brake linings on a fleet vehicle. We took delivery of new GMC 4500 and 5500 trucks. They go through rear brake pads every 18K or so. Those units will most likely not be purchased again for that main reason.

The use of Bendix Fleet Grade Brake Pads may increase pad life up to say 20% for the cost of rotor life.

I hope your case is the exception and not the rule.

Tommy

• 3 weeks later...

If not covered under warranty or a maintenance agreement, then I have a suggestion. If you DIY your own brakes, purchase lifetime warranty pads, and if you search or ask there is a nationwide parts store that offers lifetime rotors as well. I ordered some for my wife's Windstar, and made a point to be sure that the manager understood that I'd be trading in these rotors with every pad change. He just smiled. The pads and rotors were are made by Wagner.

9k on a set of brakes is ridiculous. Something might be wrong, my 05 Focus wagon hadn't even worn out the brakes at 55k when I swapped to a larger brake package. I'd be curious to find out if the TC brake design is similar to the Focus- if so, I can recommend a swap. It would most likely require a larger wheel though.

Edited by whynotthinkwhynot

• 2 weeks later...

so i changed the pads today

11,700 miles on the odometer

the pad was completely gone

starting to wear on the backing plate

disappointing that it wore thru so quickly

what sucks is that there is no squeel tab, or electronic sensor to tell you the pads are low

also, i could not get the anti rattle clip back on the caliper

its just impossible, so i hope it doesn't make too much noise, because i didn't put it back on

• 2 months later...

If not covered under warranty or a maintenance agreement, then I have a suggestion. If you DIY your own brakes, purchase lifetime warranty pads, and if you search or ask there is a nationwide parts store that offers lifetime rotors as well. I ordered some for my wife's Windstar, and made a point to be sure that the manager understood that I'd be trading in these rotors with every pad change. He just smiled. The pads and rotors were are made by Wagner.

9k on a set of brakes is ridiculous. Something might be wrong, my 05 Focus wagon hadn't even worn out the brakes at 55k when I swapped to a larger brake package. I'd be curious to find out if the TC brake design is similar to the Focus- if so, I can recommend a swap. It would most likely require a larger wheel though.

I can see this happening. I switched up wheels to alloys when I bought my TC connect. I am constantly cleaning black brake dust off the front wheels after every few hundred miles of driving. I am not hard on the brakes. The front pads are of very poor quality I think. Ford should own up to and recognize this, and offer better front brake pad replacements to the owners of Transit Connect vans.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My TC has noise was from front brakes and vibration on highway with brakes on. Service adviser from dealer suggest to bring in and check as I bought my TC 9 months ago and with mileage 24,000 Km only it should not worn out so fast.

After an hour in garage the service adviser told me the front brake pads and rotors worn so bad and need new and cost me almost Can$900.00 with tax. Service adviser was surprise the pads and rotors worn out so fast. I had no choice as I need this truck everyday. Ford should provide a better quality parts and offer free upgrade to better quality as this truck is marketed as a fleet and commercial vehicle for business owners. I drove about 9 Van/trucks (GMC, Chrysler, Honda, Toyota with brakes changed at interval 45,000 to 50,000Km ) before I choose this Ford Transit Connect as it has smaller engine and room for my trade which save me on gas. But the saving on gas may not cover the brake change on every 24,000Km (or every 9 months). This may hold our plan to change our other 2 Honda Odyssey to TC.

Keep your eyes on your TC brakes as it worn out so fast that even Ford Dealer service adviser feel surprise.

the stock pads are what make the brakes wear out so fast, i went thru 2 sets of oem pads before changing to aftermarket hawk pads which have been wearing CONSIDERABLY better

Dan, I would be interested to know how much you Americans pay for the TC pads.

Over here in the UK they vary from about £25 to £40, (cheap brands to ford parts).

My TC needs some pads, and I have seen that Mintex sell matched pads and rotors for £70, thats about $113 to you guys. (Mintex is a good brand over here, supposed to be dust and squeal free)

• 1 month later...

If only my pads wore then i would be happy

I had a 2004 Focus Wagon ran 180,000, the pads never wore out except the rotors would get gouged quite a bit, then everything got changed. I noticed the pads would disintegrate just a bit and that would cause severe gouging. Happened twice!

Of course when asbestos cannot be used anymore then substitutes have to be used.

• 1 month later...

update

15k miles on the hawk hps pads and they are done

ridiculous

i just ordered the cheap pads from tire rack, two sets

even if they only last 9k miles they are 3.5x cheaper than the hawks

going to change out the rotors too, when i do. I'm going to remove the dust shields to get more air to the rotors

maybe that will extend the pad life

I got a free $100 for parts/service at San Francisco ford. Incredible promotion, you didn't have to spend over $100 to use it. It was $100 same as cash. So I got an oil change and set of motorcraft pads and was only out of pocket $15 bucks. Not too shabby.

Any way I am at 16,800 miles and the dust and squealing are pretty bad so i figured the pads were about shot. Popped off the wheel to check pad wear and was surprised to see about 45% remaining compared to the new motorcraft pads. So I guess I am seeing pretty good wear, unless the pads were changed before 10k miles as I bought this van used with 10,500 miles.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...