Ford Transit Connect Forum

iPhone / 6000CD integration?

bjsvec

Hello all, I just purchased a 2010 Transit Connect last month and am not very happy with the way my iPhone works with the 6000CD unit via bluetooth. I have been searching this forum and others and found very little feedback, so let me ask some questions here:

1. Is the 6000CD a new unit for TC or is it in other Ford models?

1a. Does it have upgradeable firmware that could improve bluetooth compatibility with Iphone?

2. I have an iPhone 3GS with latest firmware. It is paired and in/out calling works fine. Directory syncs (although I don't care for that feature) and voice dial also work (although I would rather use the iPhone voice dialer). Every time I turn the car on it automatically starts playing a podcast on my iPhone through "Ford Audio" bluetooth. It doesn't play anything across the stereo though. Also, it is quite annoying to automatically start playing every time I turn on the car because then all my podcasts seem to be listened to already..

3. OK #2 wasn't a question. Has anyone else here successfully played audio on their iPhone through the 6000CD?

4. Does anyone here have the same issue with music automatically starting to play?

5. Is this 6000CD anything like Ford SYNC or is it a different beast?

6. Most BT handsfree units let you press the phone answer/hangup button to initiate voice dial over the device (iPhone) This unit doesn't do that.

Thanks in advance and feel free to answer any and all that you can.

Brandon

Hello all, I just purchased a 2010 Transit Connect last month and am not very happy with the way my iPhone works with the 6000CD unit via bluetooth. I have been searching this forum and others and found very little feedback, so let me ask some questions here:

1a. Does it have upgradeable firmware that could improve bluetooth compatibility with Iphone?

2. I have an iPhone 3GS with latest firmware. It is paired and in/out calling works fine. Directory syncs (although I don't care for that feature) and voice dial also work (although I would rather use the iPhone voice dialer). Every time I turn the car on it automatically starts playing a podcast on my iPhone through "Ford Audio" bluetooth. It doesn't play anything across the stereo though. Also, it is quite annoying to automatically start playing every time I turn on the car because then all my podcasts seem to be listened to already..

3. OK #2 wasn't a question. Has anyone else here successfully played audio on their iPhone through the 6000CD?

4. Does anyone here have the same issue with music automatically starting to play?

6. Most BT handsfree units let you press the phone answer/hangup button to initiate voice dial over the device (iPhone) This unit doesn't do that.

Brandon

I wish I had answers for you, but I don't. In fact, my Nokia E51 has issues with the Nokia BT system in the TC as well. I can't get my contacts to sync, I can't voice dial any number from the phone's contacts, and no music will play unless I hook up the cable to the earphone jack of the phone. Worst part is that there's no help in the owner's manual for any of this... :(

You're referring to A2DP Bluetooth streaming audio, something your iPhone supports (which works terrifically with SYNC), but not with either TC Bluetooth system (Nokia or FWS).

When your phone detects a new Bluetooth device that reports certain audio capabilities, it automatically begins playing a track through it. The problem is both that the Ford Audio Bluetooth device both "over reports" its features and the iPhone has no way of disabling its own decision to automatically start playing the current iPod track through it.

You don't hear audio because the head unit only forwards the stream to the speakers during a phone call, a different feature subset of the same Bluetooth pair. To hear your iPhone, you need to connect it the headphone jack to the Line In and play the stream though Aux/Line In.

Part of the problem is that the iPhone offers SO many interaction possibilities that not every device capable of generically connecting with it is necessarily prepared to "dumb out" all of the superfluous functionality. Another part of the problem is the iPhone itself doesn't necessarily work and play well with every device either. Apple being Apple, they simple state "we are the standard", and anyone who wants certified compatibility will build their devices to Apple's interface spec. However, companies like generic head unit makers simply stick to their core "generic" feature set rather than bending over backward when they have absolutely no control over what may be compatible today, but could become incompatible with the next software release tomorrow.

You may do yourself a favor by registering at syncmyride.com and reading-up on the many compatibility issues SYNC is also having with iPhone (and vice versa), and this is a product with a whole team of software developers behind it. You may also learn a lot about your iPhone too and how it works (or doesn't) under many different scenarios. It's been a Godsend of information for me, and I think you may find it equally beneficial.

If Ford is committed to it's future it should have a robust and adaptable interface for all cell phones.

I'm amazed they leave this important feature to the DYI's to work out.

The whole marketing package is "close but no cigar" in my opinion.

They should be more proactive & current with the audio/all options.

They should follow Apples lead and innovate or end up like the Zune.

Do the right thing and lead with smart and affordable products.

They have a great opportunity to gain respect and market share and are hitting it rather flat footed.

Our whole world is teetering on the "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" questions.

I feel that we owe it to the future to "Do It and give it our Best, for the Future"

LEAD

Brandon

I'm not an electronics wizard (nor do I play one on TV), but the 6000CD radio is not one found in other aAmerican built Fords, it is more common in Europe.

It is different than most Ford audio products in the "plug-in" area. I don't use the bluetooth, but bought a pass-through harness and hooked my XM receiver up directly so it plays on the AUX button of the radio (the receiver is still necessary as its the little head unit. I noticed a small RCA plug under the lighter a week or so ago and would guess that is where the IPOD or Iphone would plug in. The XM plays through the passthrough harness beautifully, which I would presume would be the same input as the little RCA plug. I have not tried anything through this at all.

I know nothing abot the SYNC. (Was that kitchen or bathroom?)

The "phone" button on mine mutes the radio. Other than that, I have not found it to do anything else.

Next........

REC

Happily Transiting shift.gif

Edited by REC

I'm not an electronics wizard (nor do I play one on TV), but the 6000CD radio is not one found in other aAmerican built Fords, it is more common in Europe.

It is different than most Ford audio products in the "plug-in" area. I don't use the bluetooth, but bought a pass-through harness and hooked my XM receiver up directly so it plays on the AUX button of the radio (the receiver is still necessary as its the little head unit. I noticed a small RCA plug under the lighter a week or so ago and would guess that is where the IPOD or Iphone would plug in. The XM plays through the passthrough harness beautifully, which I would presume would be the same inout as the little RCA plug. I hae not tried anything through this at al.

I know nothing abot the SYNC. (Was that kitchen or bathrrom?)

The "phone" button on mine mutes the radio. Other than that, I have not found it to do anything else.

Next........

REC

Happily Transiting shift.gif

That raises several interesting points.

First, if you have a Phone Bluetooth connected, (which I presume means the Nokia Bluetooth Option is head-unit specific), it will access your phone's Bluetooth features. (It would certainly be nice if it also allowed the playing of A2DP streaming from a BT connected iPhone, but that's another gripe for another day). I would just love to be able to explot the existing BT system with another head unit rather than having wasted another $280.00.

Your harness is a great idea. The Aux jack below the lighter isn't an RCA, it's a "mini" line-in jack. In fact, I patch my iPhone and listen to Sirius/XM that way (in addition to all the other streaming radio broadcasts. it's bizarre to hear my favorite Chicago AM stations in better fidelity than I'm used to hearing them over broadcast air).

The voice command feature of the standard would imply that the system is smart enough to handle multiple Aux inputs, given you need to speak "Audio", "Aux", and "Line In" for it to act. It would be terrific to have multiple options.

As a side note, having now owned a TC both with the FWS Computer AND the stock CD head unit, I can make the following empirical observations.

1. The stock CD unit has better audio fidelity than the FWS computer (albeit the FWS was pre-configured for Fade capability that the CD unit doesn't seem to recognize.)
  2. The Line-in jack for the FWS computer had a TERRIBLE hiss and interference to it that does NOT exist with the stock CD unit.
  3. If you haven't tried SYNC, you're really missing out. And anyone who likes today's SYNC is in for a whole new world coming later this year.... http://media.ford.com/mini_sites/10031/CES10/ All I can say is "Oh MY!"

Finally, would you please post a part number or link to the pass-through harness you've bought? I plan to appeal to the site administrator to include a discrete forum area that details useful individual accessories specifically for the TC. I'm sure that each of us could have been saved a WHOLE lot of head banging had we the benefit of the collective experience and knowledge gained by others.