Ford Transit Connect Forum

Load Rated Snow Tires???

I have been looking for proper load rated tires for my TC for a couple weeks now without any luck.

Has anyone bought proper weight rated tires yet? I would imagine that those of you in the prairies/ plains areas must have snow tires on by now...

We have yet to see the white stuff here in Lotusland but there have been possible snowfakes in the forcasts. The mountains are white (ready for the Olympics) but we are still happily green.

I would appreciate any help on this.

I have been looking for proper load rated tires for my TC for a couple weeks now without any luck.

Has anyone bought proper weight rated tires yet? I would imagine that those of you in the prairies/ plains areas must have snow tires on by now...

We have yet to see the white stuff here in Lotusland but there have been possible snowfakes in the forcasts. The mountains are white (ready for the Olympics) but we are still happily green.

I would appreciate any help on this.

For instance:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=VancoWinterContact&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&partnum=065TR5VWCXL

NOTE: I tried adding to cart to see shipping charges, and was notified that these have a higher rating than Ford recommends. It seems you can pick from the regular winter tires and be within the vehicle's rating.

Edited by PetrosA

• 1 month later...

We have Nokian Hakkapeliitta R's on our TC. They have outstanding snow and ice traction, low rolling resistance, excellent tread wear for a snow, but are expensive. Buying cheap tires never made sense to me.

They have "SUV" grade tires with higher load ratings, but those aren't available in 15".

The 205/65R15 are rated XL (extra load) and have a load rating of 99R. 99 = 1,709 lbs/tire.

For comparison, a Michelin X-Ice Xi2 has a load rating of 94T - 1,477 lbs. Probably still OK for a vehicle with a GWR of 5,005.

Edited by Garandman

• 2 months later...

Can anyone from Ford chime in here on the justification for not thinking about chains?

Snow tires are great but if you have to go over a pass in the winter your screwed. Highway patrol check points can keep you off the road if you don't have chains.

For passengers this may be great. But for the professionals that bought this for work it makes it tough.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Since I've got gobs of tire chain sets out in my shop, I dug through my collection and found an appropriate set.

Then I opened up my owners manual to verify.

It says not to use tire chains on this vehicle. I had wondered about that with the clearances.

I'll try to find something appropriate locally. Les Schwab was marketing a siped walnut shell tire.

I'm awaiting confirmation that I can purchase a set from the branch. It shouldn't be a problem, though they may insist on studs.

I don't want to listen to studs buzzing and chewing up the road all winter. We have dry pavement more often than not.:rolleyes:

CJ

• 3 weeks later...

I burned up the stock Continentals at 55,000 miles on my 2010 TC. I've replaced them with Michelin X-Ice. WOW! What a difference. Last winter I was getting stuck in 3 inches of snow :censored: . Now I'm plowing a path in alleys!! Incredible tires. I carry about 2000 pounds worth of equipment and the sidewalls don't even bulge. Although I do get a little wiggly wiggly feel down the highway..... I'll pull these tires off come spring, to save them for next winter, and put on some low profiles to get that slot car feel back :shift: ...but till then, bring on the snow baby!! Michelin X-Ice, two thumbs and a toe up. :D

I found it to be a bit of a Bitch to buy snow tires for the TC only because Costco would NOT install my BF Goodrich Blizzak WS70! The reason why is because the rear tires, the recommended air pressure for the rears is 49 lbs and the Blizzaks are max 44lbs lbs

They are actually load rated higher then the stock tires and the traction in the snow is amazing! Best snow tire I have ever used A++++++

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/BigPic.jsp?sidewall=Blackwall&tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Blizzak+WS70&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=16TR6WS70

I'm actually using the Bridgstone Blizzacks WS-70s. The tire shop that I used pointed out the inflation difference, but I decided to use them, anyway, since I have had such great luck with Blizzacks for the last 20 years. I have the rears at the max reccomended pressure, and was only concerned about the TPMS lighting up. So far (about 2 months), this has yet to be an issue. We have been experiencing some of the greatest early season snows that we have seen in years, here in Summit County, Colorado, and I have had very few issues with slippage, and have yet to get stuck (although I would still love the extra control of a stick, plus the availability of all wheel drive -- maybe when they start making them here!)

I didn't figure that the inflation difference would be too big a deal, since I doubt that I will ever have more than about 800 to 1,000 lbs on board. 4 good snow tires make ALL the difference when you live in snow country, and I have nothing but praise for the Blizzacks.

Now, I'm just keeping an eye out for some alloys for the summer rubber!