Ford Transit Connect Forum

Handsfree Calling

madlock

Given the generally-bad experience I've been having with my Transit Connect (many of which are the result of bad luck, happenstance, and issues unrelated to the vehicle itself), I've decided to take the depreciation hit of trading it in once the rear-end collision damage is repaired.

One of the features I'm keen to be rid of is the FWS Computer. While I'm sure others have found it useful, I just find it to be a poor implementation of technologies that are far better-performed by less expensive alternatives like handheld or netbook systems, even if it means foregoing dash-integrated navigation. One of the absolute worst aspects of the FWS I've found is its handsfree phone performance. It's like speaking from an echo chamber inside a toilet, and there just doesn't seem to be any way to improve its performance.

Can anyone vouch for the performance of the Nokia system? It may become a criterion for the replacement vehicle, but only if it seems to be of good audio quality (within the context of the TC's somewhat noisy cabin).

Thanks in advance.

We purchased the Garmin 1690 GPS unit. Not only is it awesome for building routes for our service company, but it has a great handsfree feature that blows away even the motorola handsfree kit.

It sells for $499 and is well worth the expense.

JK

Given the generally-bad experience I've been having with my Transit Connect (many of which are the result of bad luck, happenstance, and issues unrelated to the vehicle itself), I've decided to take the depreciation hit of trading it in once the rear-end collision damage is repaired.

One of the features I'm keen to be rid of is the FWS Computer. While I'm sure others have found it useful, I just find it to be a poor implementation of technologies that are far better-performed by less expensive alternatives like handheld or netbook systems, even if it means foregoing dash-integrated navigation. One of the absolute worst aspects of the FWS I've found is its handsfree phone performance. It's like speaking from an echo chamber inside a toilet, and there just doesn't seem to be any way to improve its performance.

Can anyone vouch for the performance of the Nokia system? It may become a criterion for the replacement vehicle, but only if it seems to be of good audio quality (within the context of the TC's somewhat noisy cabin).

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.

I should be able to give you an opinion by the end of this week. Mine arrived in Baltimore on the 23rd and should be in any day now...

One other thought... I decided that instead of upgrading my GPS, I'm getting a PC version for my laptop. They range in price from about $40-$100 so cheaper than most portables. I'll like having a 10" screen for the map, too!

Edited by PetrosA