Ford Transit Connect Forum

Front Wheel Bearings

zepper

Actually members Stimr2, Z71Mudder, hogrider03, bikesag have all had wheel bearings replaced under warranty. So maybe your Euro-spec van is the exception to the rule?

Can someone with a U.S. spec van weigh in? I am looking to determine if the dealer listed a technical service bulletin number on the repair order or if the replacement was goodwill or what?

Thanks All.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

222,000 mi. 3rd set of front wheel bearings. In talking with my mechanic, he said they are amazingly small for a heavy duty vehical. THis does seem to be an issue. The first set was replaced under warrenty, but on my own for the last 2. Kind of at a loss. The vehical is perfect for my job, and as this is the only cronic problem. I guess I'll just have to keep replacing it

222,000 mi. 3rd set of front wheel bearings. In talking with my mechanic, he said they are amazingly small for a heavy duty vehical. THis does seem to be an issue. The first set was replaced under warrenty, but on my own for the last 2. Kind of at a loss. The vehical is perfect for my job, and as this is the only cronic problem. I guess I'll just have to keep replacing it

222,222 miles! :worship:

I can understand a few sets of wheels bearings with that kinda of driving. Not sure about three sets though.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

My right front wheel bearing failed at 58,000 miles. It has been at the Ford dealer since July 10th, 2013. Eleven days later and my TC is still not repaired. They have a bearing press How long does it take?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have 80K Miles and was getting a loud hum at 45 and 60Mph. Took it to Ford and they say both wheel bearings and the Carrier bearing in the middle are shot - Kind of weird that 3 bearings fail at the same time. I hate the dealerships! They quoted me $1500! Does anyone have the actual part# for the bearings?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Seeing how the focus shares the same drive train....My wifes 2007 Focus fried a wheel bearing at 22000 miles. I replaced it myself as I have a lift and a press. There is a wide range of bearing choices. I bought Timkens only to find they are reboxed chinese made bearings"I was pissed". This type of wheel bearing is also used in toyota Corollas. It is extremely light duty. Watch what you buy and take your time installing them so as not to damage the bearing on install into the knuckle. The problem is manufacturers of the bearing do not install enough grease into the bearing.In time it migrates away from the balls and then they are not lubricated properly. I wonder if a prick needle grease gun attachment could be used to put more grease into a new bearing before it is installed and then sealing up the tiny hole created with high temp rtv....just thinking out loud here mind you.

• 3 weeks later...

I just turned 260,000 with my '10 XLT...... rear bearings/hubs are original. BUT, my front bearings are a different story.

12 or 13 bearings total, several under warranty (1 because the tech installed it backwards).

Centric makes replacement bearings. Google them. They have other TC parts also. Higher quality, for sure.

I paid around $370 @ the dealership for the last bearing they installed.

Also paid $4,100 for a new (reman Ford) trans..... different story.

I have carried HEAVY HEAVY loads in this TC... but not all the time.

I think the bearings are generally way too light for the capabilty advertised.

• 1 year later...

My 2010 XLT with 80k miles just cost me $ 700 to replace a fused wheel bearing & new hub. I appreciate the feed back in these forums.

jimINtransit.

ps/ Driver side door lock mechanism started making horrible buzzing noise 4 days after my 3 year warranty period ended.

• 2 weeks later...

Same here, I put new tires all around today and still have the feared bearing noise in the front. My gut tells me it is both sides, mine is at 65000 and I just got it so no idea of history but no records of bearings on carfax.

Put the front windows down find a smooth road Move the wheel right and left several times and if the noise gets louder going to the left

then the Right bearing is the likely cause. If it gets louder going to the right then the Left wheel is the likely cause.

Hope this helps , Let me know!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a 2012 XLT with 200,00 miles and just replaced my 4th set of wheel beerings. This van has not hauled heavy loads but drive 350 miles 5 times a week. In the past two years i have spent over 8,000.00 on maintence and repairs. including complete suspension, rebuilt tranny at 140,000 miles, Used engine at 170.000 (Mine lost one cyclinder) when the engine was pulled the mechanic could not believe how clean it was inside. aqlways do oil changes at 4,000 miles. the expense are just too much. wish i could sell it but no takers