Ford Transit Connect Forum

FWS Computer Crashing

madlock

Since taking delivery, I can't keep the FWS Computer from crashing more than 5 minutes, even when it's just booted and performing absolutely nothing but displaying the base menu screen. Had I any sense of how unstable the platform seems to be, I'd have opted for the standard CD head unit with Nokia Bluetooth, something that would have dramatically expanded the number of available suitably-equipped new vehicles to choose from. (Not to mention that I wouldn't have had to accept a "dealer demo" 500-mile pre-driven unit that I needed to pickup all the way near Pittsburgh, but that's another nightmare altogether).

I've yet to read the documentation in any sort of detail, hoping instead there's some kind of "clean install" mechanism that would restore the entire unit and its configuration to its original state. I'm not talking about "Settings Reset", I'm talking about a good, ol' fashioned "FDISK" and reload that would give the system the digital colonic it seems to need. Plus, before I've had the chance to customize it in any way, NOW would be the time for me to "punt on first down", as if the only other remedy is delving into the manual, I suspect it's going to become a "project" to resolve.

Has anyone either encountered similar constant instability and/or done a complete reinstallation of the entire operating system and software?

Finally, does anyone know if there was any sort of free trial period being offered for the Sprint wireless internet connectivity?

Thanks in advance.

I have only experienced a complete lock up once and holding the power button down for 10 seconds or so rebooted the system and I have not had a problem since, knock on wood. As for the Sprint, Ford had a rebate program of $300 if you activate the Sprint broadband which in essence covers 6 months activation. It is only avaialble for commercial customers. I was unable to get it because I purchased the TC and I am not a business. I just got my activation yesterday and it actually works a little quicker than I thought it would. My websit loads ok as do the individual pages. If you are a commercial customer, contact your dealer about the Sprint rebate.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been having the same issue. Mostly when I have the blue tooth on. Every time it tries to sync it crashes the computer. Also I activated the Sprint system and the internet works but it locks up for up to 5 min. at a time.

Also my GPS works but is not very smooth. or accurate. I think something is wrong but I don't know where to start.

Another problem I have is the Aux. input for hooking up my ipod, if I select the input line on the system I get a bad whine in the speakers before I even plug in the cable? I am not very happy with the system at all.

I have been having the same issue. Mostly when I have the blue tooth on. Every time it tries to sync it crashes the computer. Also I activated the Sprint system and the internet works but it locks up for up to 5 min. at a time.

Also my GPS works but is not very smooth. or accurate. I think something is wrong but I don't know where to start.

Another problem I have is the Aux. input for hooking up my ipod, if I select the input line on the system I get a bad whine in the speakers before I even plug in the cable? I am not very happy with the system at all.

My system's crashing doesn't seem to be Bluetooth-related. Even with no devices paired, it still tells me FordWorkShell.exe (I think) has encountered a serious problem.... before seizing, which I believe is the basic menu interface.

For the navigation to work, (and THIS took me some time to figure), the Garmin SD card has to be inserted, otherwise only basic highways exist to the system. Though even then, it's not always terrifically precise, certainly not nearly as precise as the Xanavi in-dash units or a discreet Garmin unit.

I too have a terrible static and noise from the AUX port, almost as if there's a short or a wire isn't grounded or properly shielded. Had I ANY sense there would be so MANY challenges, I would have never opted for the system, no matter how convenient its placement or integrated navigation happens to be.

Finally, I'm also terribly disappointed at how ham-fisted the whole interface is. I've seen shareware applications with more elegance and visual appeal. Hell, my iPhone does a better job.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...