Ford Transit Connect Forum

Backup Camera Recommendations

madlock

Backup cameras mandatory in all new cars by 2018 in US and Canada

AR-161109874.jpg
Backup cameras linked to dashboard screens have increasingly become standard equipment, but some models still lack them, Transport Canada said.

Backup cameras will soon become mandatory in all vehicles sold in Canada, Transport Minister Marc Garneau announced Oct. 31.

The requirement will align Canada with the United States, which amended its safety regulations in 2014 to require the rearview cameras in vehicles sold after May 2018.

"This helps children to be seen and provides Canadians with one of the best safety technology systems to reduce back-over collisions," Garneau said in a news release.

Backup cameras linked to dashboard screens have increasingly become standard equipment, but some models still lack them, Transport Canada said.

According to the safety agency, "back-over" collisions were responsible for 27 deaths and more than 1,500 injuries between 2004 and 2009.

Canada generally follows the U.S. lead on vehicle standards. A notable exception is Canada's requirement for daytime running lights.

Another issue that President Trump could tackle.......right after he builds that wall along the Canadian border.  Or is he planning on invading and annexing Canada?

This all started with the seat belt and helmet laws.  I remember as a kid, we could ride in the bed of a pickup truck, there was no such thing as a child safety seat, cars did not come with seat belts and air bags, trucks did not come with rear bumpers, the passenger side mirror was an "add on" feature, and we could ride our motorcycles without helmets.  

Today, I'm paying a per ounce tax on soda.  

Boy, did we somehow get off-topic, or what??  ;)

I see all sorts of folks riding motorcycles with no helmets and wearing only a Tee shirt and shorts . . . . and I respect their right to make those idiotic choices.  I do think there should be a requirement for a forehead tattoo though which states  -  "Do not resuscitate" and/or "Good sense wasn't the only thing I was missing  -  I have no medical insurance either"

I've ridden motorcycles for the better part of 50 years and always try to wear the proper gear, though it can be difficult in 95 degree temps with 75% humidity, but I can honestly say I've never ridden without a helmet . . . . and . . . . my helmet saved my life once when I was young and foolish.  A broken fiberglass shell will really make you think of what your head might have looked like.    "Always wear whatever you would like to have on while sliding along on the asphalt at 50 mph" is a good rule to live by  -  One day, it will probably happen to you

I rolled a '57 Chevy once long ago and the seatbelt I had installed myself saved my bones that time too  -  I'm a firm believer

Don

All of the things that are legislated into the build is for saving lives.  ABS saves lives.  TPMS saves lives.  

Tobacco and alcohol are taxed, in theory to save lives.  The Grocery Tax is suppose to save lives.  

I'm just not a fan of big government and nanny states.  I'm just one of those people that believe that we should be able to make a choice, as opposed to the government telling us how to live.

On 9/27/2016 at 3:50 AM, G B L said:

Mine is built in. Knowing how to use the side mirrors is more important.

Hah! I still haven't figured out the point of the small corner mirror in my side mirrors, which shows an almost identical version of the image presented in the large mirror!

Those little 'blindspot mirrors' built into the side mirrors are one of my favorite things about this wagon.   I never change lanes without checking them first.  I like that I don't have to swivel my head anymore to check the blindspots  -  They've already saved my bacon a couple times

Don

If I set my main mirrors in a position that would be the same general position I would set if there were no blind spot mirrors, the blind spot mirrors show pretty much the same view the main mirrors do. With blind spot mirrors, where should I be setting the mains?

I have had small round add-on blind spot mirrors. They showed a much more expansive view than the TC version (albeit with more distortion and a smaller image). The TC'sblind spots seem pretty pointless. 

The Blind Spot mirrors on the TC would be much better if they were located in such away to show the side of the vehicle as a reference. Looking over your shoulder only works if there is rear glass  The Mirrors are always available and are your most reliable tool   

The blind spot mirrors just need to be separately adjustable. I sometimes wonder about engineers and accountants. And what's with no fold down left armrest on the driver seat? I guess if that's all I have to bitch about, must be a pretty good van. 

On 11/13/2016 at 10:05 PM, tcconvert said:

With blind spot mirrors, where should I be setting the mains?

I was always taught to set my mirrors just off to the side of the vehicle.  Until you can't see the side of the car anymore.  Because if you can see your car, you're seeing less of the road.  

You can see from the driver side mirror where those two Dodge trucks are, and how the blindspot mirror reflects more beyond that point.

KIMG0116.JPG

KIMG0117.JPG

This is the view that I have with a camera mounted on my pickup truck's license plate.  Just one of those low cost options from Amazon.com.  Because when I look over my shoulder in my truck, I can't even see this little Honda.  Over the years, with tight parking spots in The City, and me driving a lifted pickup, I've backed into a lot of Hondas.  From that view, there is still approximately 20"  from bumper to bumper.  

KIMG0120.JPG

It is difficult to get a good photo without professional equipment.  But this will give you an idea of what the finished product looks like.  The same installation can be done on a Transit Connect.  The little LED lights, and LED reverse lights really make a difference.

KIMG0136.JPG

KIMG0135.JPG

KIMG0121.JPG

• 7 months later...
On 11/14/2016 at 5:06 PM, BBJ said:

The blind spot mirrors just need to be separately adjustable. I sometimes wonder about engineers and accountants. And what's with no fold down left armrest on the driver seat? I guess if that's all I have to bitch about, must be a pretty good van. 

you adjust the main mirror so it shows just a little slice of your vehicle in the mirror (gives a visual boundry) and the mirror shows the lane to the left of the driver.  the blind spot then shows an even wider angle that shows further out and fills the blind spot perfectly. 

Edited by MLB