Ford Transit Connect Forum

Transmission Failures?

zepper

I know there have been a couple of transmission failures out there.

What were the symptoms that led up to the failure? Did you hear any noises leading up to it or was it more of a physical thing (i.e. it wouldn't shift outta first)?

I think i am starting to hear a speed dependent whine out of my trans. Good things these things have a 5 yr/60k powertrain warranty.

• 8 months later...

• 2 months later...

I can share on this topic....I'd just had my transit for about a week (pre owned 2011 XLT with 8700 miles, perfect condition), and one day I heard a weird rubbing noise from under the front end....almost like a stick jammed underneath dragging on the asphalt. Later that day, I was at a rental and got into the vehicle, put it in reverse and nothing.....I mean nothing. I was able to limp it home, knowing something was wrong. Had it towed to the dealer who at first said they couldn't duplicate the symptoms. They said it was working fine.....I said " drive it some more!"... A few hours later they called and said it failed.....big time failed. Dropped the pan and a ton of metal came out. After further inspection, it was completely destroyed, including the case. They were instructed by the factory to replace with a reman unit, but they aren't yet available so a new Trans was ordered. They also replaced the Trans cooler and flushed the cooler lines.

It took a week, and I picked it up today. After doing some research on the net, I discovered that the forward planetarys are a very common failure on these vehicles. My advice to anyone who starts to experience the symptoms talked about is to get it to your dealer and tell them to PLEASE drop the tranny pan. That should do it...

Interesting. I have 60,000 miles and have started to experience unusual behavior of the transmission. Several times now, it has had difficulty reversing. Most recently I tried to do a 3-point turn on a sloped street, and when I went to reverse, the van just stuttered and felt almost like it was neutral... then when I pressed harder on the gas, it sort of jumped and shot backwards. After a little driving, the problem has gone away. I'm hesitant to take it to the dealer because that requires a major transfer of everything I carry in the van over to a rental, and I'm concerned the dealer will tell me they couldn't replicate the issue. Thankfully this is a fleet vehicle. My plan is to keep driving it until either the symptom is repeatable, or the transmission craps out.

• 2 weeks later...

Symptoms? Mine problem started when it "missed" first gear when I shifted to drive.... then it just wouldn't shift till about 4000 rpm.... also wouldn't shift into OD. All happened quickly, but managed to limp it into my mechanic...Rebuilding the tranny as I write this. These were the symptioms, and as usual, tranny's can die quickly, and or malfunction sperodiclly. Now I really can't complain as there is 230,000 miles on my transit.

I've wondered the same thing myself. I use the van to take garbage generated from my job to the dump, and if I leave all the tools and parts in the van, I usually cross the scale at around 4,500 lbs. This transmission was designed for compact cars that weight about 1,500 - 2,000 lbs less than that. I think the failures make it clear they utilized something that wasn't really up to the job. Maybe they figured most of these things would have a light load of flowers in the back. t

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Well, I am posting on the trans failure thread! At a little over 41,000 miles, mine started to make a strange hum when accelerating. This was accompanied by a droning noise at steady throttle. Only other symptom was one instance that it engaged drive slowly. Dealer says they think it's the trans- goes in the shop Monday. Mine is mostly highway driven with moderate loads. Heaviest I have ever had it was taking it to the dump- a nick under 4500 with trash and my tools. Seems like they should hold up to that! Wish they'd offer a manual in US-spec Transits. I hate automatics anyhow.

Dave

Dave:

Maybe your van picked up on your hatred of automatics and reacted badly because it was offended..

Seriously though, did you check the fluid level when the noises began? My van is approaching 40.000 and I'm considering an early fluid change just in case.

Please let us know how you come out and I promise to make no further dumb cracks.

I checked the fluid regularly- at every service. Last time (40,000), I thought it might be a bit discolored, but at that point, everything was fine otherwise, and figured the rag might be discolored. Now it smells kind of burned to me, too.The manual states that the trans doesn't consume fluid, but to check it if it shifts slowly, slips or you see leakage. I had no symptoms beyond the noises- the drone was getting so loud at times that I could barely hear the radio- not that the stereo gets very loud, though. I prefer manuals because they will invariably outlast the vehicle. I might have to do a clutch, but the trans itself will last much longer vs an auto, both being properly maintained. If you do a fluid change, let us know the results!

Well, with the US spec 2 liter,136 squirrel-er- horsepower engine, I'm not seeing it ever being zippy or responsive! Diesels have lots of torque for their size, even off idle. Unfortunately, the 2.0 is all we're offered over here, coupled to a 4 speed auto. A manual would be nice!

• 3 months later...

At 48000 my transmission started pulsing in overdrive and would occasionally slam hard down into second gear and the little yellow wrench would come on the dash. Also when coasting into a turn at moderate speed it would slam downshift as I got back into the throttle. Took it to dealer and they confirmed the transmission problem and said it needed to be rebuilt. Took over a week and I had to call three times to confirm that it was fixed. Out back on the road with it and it was a lot better but still seemed to be acting a little funny. Pulled in my garage today to check things out and the transmission fluid is crazy high on the dipstick, like about six to eight inches over the full mark. Smh

• 2 weeks later...

Had my trans service (flush and new fluid?) done 2 months ago @ 65k miles by the Ford dealer. 2-3 weeks ago I started hearing a faint whine that raises in pitch with speed (not engine rpm's). It started getting louder this week. Have 69k miles now.

I checked the trans fluid level last night and looks like the dealer overfilled it. About 4-5 inches ABOVE the full mark on the stick. The Ford Transit Connect shop manual I found online says DO NOT overfill trans or overheating/damage may occur.

No signs of problems besides the noise. Bought it to the dealer today, confirmed the noise and the overfill. Left it there and I'm waiting to hear back.

• 2 years later...

Hi,

With my Tranny failure in my 2014 TC at 4500 miles,  it started with sitting at an incline and it would tick out of gear and a violent down shift slam again usually on the incline as well.  Then a major overhaul was done, which the dealer said there a few issues in my transmission.  Took 10 days to fix...sigh.  The dealer service departments were over all nice, but now the van is doing it again.   So far Ford has been very cooperative, lets see what happens.

Chris

Edited by TheGearGeek

• 2 years later...

Just got an 09 TC at work, spare van, and it’s starting to have transmission failures: No second gear, it shifts directly from first into third gear at around 5000 rpm. Manual shifting into second gear does not work either. Sometimes, it will shift out of third gear into neutral when I let off the gas. I have to put it into neutral, and then back into drive and give it gas to  before it will catch and shift back into gear. Overdrive does not seem to work either. I have read on other forums where the throttle position sensor and other engine sensors feed into the transmission control system. We tried a quart of K&W Trans Medic, but no real changes. Any suggestions?

Edited by WombatNews
Errors

Update... 3rd day...

it fixed itself briefly today, and it shifted into  Second year then third just fine. But now it’s back to no second gear and no overtdrive. Is there a limp home mode for this transmission? How do you get the yellow wrench and check engine LEDs to go off?

Edited by WombatNews
Errors

You need a computer diagnostic.  Datalog a test drive to see what's going on inside of the transmission.  And it wouldn't hurt to check the fluid.  Maybe even exchange the fluid.  Fresh fluid, filled to correct level, could be all it needs.

A 10 year old used van......tranny was probably neglected.  Someone competent should look it over.  Believe it or not, I had a car with similar symptoms.......it was a loose wiring harness.  Transmission tech got it on a lift, and found it right away.  He showed me, snapped it back in snug, then laughed at me.  

Edited by Double Nickels