Ford Transit Connect Forum

Transmission fluid change

mike56

The difficult part is driving the car down the hallway, and through the apartment door.  Fellow tenants are already reporting it, every time that I do that with my Harley.  Property management posted a notice in the laundry room, stating that tenants are not allowed to rev their V-Twins after 9 o'clock.  My burnouts in the hallways has already done a number on the high tread carpeting.  

It is a unique location.  There is a flock of hundreds of wild parrots, which became the subject of a movie.  The Peregrine Falcons that live in the area provide a side show when they hunt the pigeons.  Coyotes keep the raccoon & feral cat population in check, as well as toy breed dogs that the rich ladies like to flaunt.  Animal Care & Control officers have told me that local surveillance cameras have picked up a mountain lion in the area.  Strange that the dog catchers in this town also have badges, guns, and powers of arrest.  

This is why it is so hard to park a truck, a van, and a motorcycle in the neighborhood.  Entire blocks that are "Law Enforcement Vehicle Only".  Then the protestors occupy the block.  I reserve my own opinions on national security, borders, et cetera.  No place on this forum for that type of discussion.  I'm just upset about them at my front door.  Streets are closed off to through traffic..  Hundreds of parking spaces are lost.

3D530ABE8D5E4E28AB5537CD78B047AE.jpgoccupyicesf_raid.jpg1024x1024.jpgoccupyicesf_barricade.jpg

I am just glad that they did not break windows, set cars on fire, loot, rape, and pillage.  Grocery store only 1 block away would have been ruined. My cars and motorcycle would not be covered by insurance.  Read your policy. Acts of God, war, civil disobedience, during the course of a crime (which you are committing).......I don't want to be raped. 

Edited by Fifty150

8 hours ago, Mike Chell said:
8 hours ago, Mike Chell said:

We'll leave the politics out ... as you said, no place here.

But why is it that these types of protesters always leave such a mess behind?

Protesters on all sides of every issue do the same. Right and left. Nobody is actually from here.  Arrest records indicate residence is always a suburb. They come to the city, and feel righteous in their cause. Then disrupt our lives and leave a mess. I want to organize a group to haul the garbage back to where they live, and dump it on their front yard.  So far, nobody else has joined me.

The fake news only reports what they want you to believe.  I hate when news personalities interview other personalities.  No fact whatsoever. Just reinforcing their own opinions.  Talking heads. At least when Anthony Bourdain ran his mouth, he was actually in the front line.  I respected that he was actually in Vietnam, to have noodles with Barack Obama.

My front line observation is that upper middle class people from the suburbs trashed my block.  Not immigrants who only wish for the same American dream that we are all a part of.  Those immigrants were hard at work, with 2 or 3 jobs, sending money home to support their families. Hoping and wishing that one day, their kids could have a chance at what we take for granted.......clean water, education, and fast food.  

KIMG2044.thumb.JPG.2b3af00354358e6ee8544575937dd9fe.JPGKIMG2043.thumb.JPG.67cef33b6a766fb25c805795081e6b84.JPG

Today, we are back to normal.  Clear street, with just a cop hanging out in his 97 Crown Victoria.  Yuuup!  In this city, they still drive 20 year old cars, with who knows how many millions of miles on them.  

• 1 year later...
On 9/25/2016 at 6:00 AM, G B L said:

Here is the post I did on the Transmission Change.

The hardest part of this operation will be getting the TC Jacked up. Should be almost level . Remove the Under body dust shield . Look for the Drain Plug. 11 mm or 7/16 wrench.

Trans Drain Plug Small.jpg ] Trans fill vent General Location Small.jpg Trans Vent Cap 1Small.jpg

This style funnel will slide down into the Vent plug you just removed Put 3 quarts of fluid in

[attacjpg] ] Trans funnel small.jpg

Run the TC for 5 to 10 minutes . Then drain the fluid again. Repeat this 2 more times You have Now used 9 quarts of fluid.

Put the Drain plug back in make it snug this time. Add 3 quarts of fluid You have now used 12 quarts.

Go under the car and Look for the indicator plug (14 mm wrench) Loosen the plug. Do not remove yet

Trans Fluid Level indicator Plug Small.jpg

Start the engine with the engine running and the Car in park pull the plug and add fluid into the funnel until it just drips out the Indicator hole Replace plug put the Dust shield on , Pull the funnel and replace the vent cap. Total Fluid 13 Qts. With most of number 13 left

There is no filter to change on this operation and the type of fluid is Mercon LV.

Have fun!

Brilliant and thank you I have to do this exact procedure on my '14 Connect... This is for the 2.5L correct?

2.5L is the engine size.  Your car has a 6F35 transmission.  Getting it jacked up isn't really that hard either.  Just make sure that you are using Mercon LV or low viscosity equivalent.  A little thread sealant like PTFE plumbing tape is also a good idea.  

• 2 months later...

Here’s a pic and a few notes on my experience on my 2018:

When draining, I caught 4 quarts each time, and put 4 back in.

The looky-level plug is in fact where indicated, to rearward of the axle.

Nothing came out of the level plug hole until I poured some in; I think the level was spot on and what I poured in basically came right out. 

My vent cap has a nifty if unnecessary hose clamp on it that was biatch to try to pinch while putting back on. Until I figured out the clip-stop deal that keeps it unclamped while installing (as shown in photo). Doh!

10 mm hex for the level plug; 3/8 socket drive with a knuckle and extensions made it easy; had the van on ramps do didn’t take the front wheel off. (Driveway has slight slope and I used blocks under rear wheels to level out)

1FC29709-1DDC-409C-BADC-B8F1AF5FCE56.jpeg

54E041ED-BB2B-48BF-AF1C-CC2D6F5E6C9F.jpeg

Edited by MeisterJaeger
Added vent cap photo.

• 2 months later...

I did my drain and refill today, at 33,000 miles along with the engine oil and filter change. Fluid came out basically black, but still smelling like good trans fluid. Drained 4 quarts, added 4 quarts of Mercon LV. Specs indicate the trans hold about 9 quarts, so I got about half of it out. I think I will do a 4 quart drain and refill once a year from now on. The TC only gets about 10K a year lately.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/26/2020 at 8:34 AM, MeisterJaeger said:

van on ramps do didn’t take the front wheel off. (Driveway has slight slope and I used blocks under rear wheels to level out)

So you had the van front up in the air, instead of level?