Ford Transit Connect Forum

Transmission fluid change

mike56

Nice Report Don, I used the vent to fill mine with a long funnel and the fluid went in fast.  I have changed mine twice at approximately 25000 mile intervals.  This vehicle works the fluid hard so for the price of the fluid I might shorten the interval.

• 3 weeks later...

Advance Auto Parts has the Castrol Transmax Full Synthetic ATF on sale again for $4.99 per quart, with free shipping on orders of $25 or more.  That's cheaper than the conventional Mercon LV!  I just ordered me 8 extra quarts and am going to drain and add 4 new at each 10,000 mile oil change

Do a Google Search for Castrol Transmax 06519 and you should find the link to the sale

Don

Thanks for the tip and write-up on the gen 2 atf change procedure, GBL and Beta Don!  I just ordered from Advance Auto Parts several quarts of the Castrol "Transmax Synthetic Multi-Vehicle" Merton LV-compatible product for my newly-acquired 2014 XLT 2.5 Wagon.

• 1 month later...

With regard to Beta Don's comment on the appearance of the Mercon LV fluid: "My old fluid didn't look all that great after only 25,000 miles  -  More brown than red.  It didn't small that bad, but it wasn't nearly as pretty as the new stuff.  I was a little surprised . . . . I thought with so few miles, the old stuff would still look pretty much new.  I'll go 50K with the synthetic and change it again."  This Ford mechanic says that is normal for this fluid, for what it's worth...

He is a good tech I have watched his videos before.   I will still change the fluid at regular intervals to keep track of the fluid for metal debris.  The fluid change does not take me very long and I have a good way of getting rid of the used fluid. 

I do not want to have to watch the how to  change a Transmission Video that I am sure he has made!!

Edited by G B L

• 3 weeks later...

I just had my transmission fluid flushed today at a local shop.  I far as I can tell, from what I could find in my service records, it hadn't been changed for 60,000 miles.  

It wasn't a cheap service ($315), but they did it in a way I could't have myself..  They ran the van on a dyno while putting it through various gears to make sure the 16 (18?) quarts of ATF made its way through the entire system. :thumbsup:

Edited by Timbo

I know it's probably just my imagination, but it feels like it's shifting and accelerating better.  

It always feels good when you replace fluids in your car, esp. oils, even if in reality, there's no noticeable difference.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/1/2018 at 10:15 PM, mrtn said:

Oh yes, The Butt-O-Meter (tm) is the precisest of instruments.

I don't know...  At first I thought it was all in my head, but now I'm sure it's accelerating better and quicker.  And I didn't have anything done to the engine during my last service.  

Just the transmission flush.  

I'm not getting my FTCW until mid-summer but I downloaded & printed the owner's manual because I wanted a head-start at reading that 449-page brick.

Under "maintenance schedule," page 393 - "every 150000 miles or 240000 km ---> change transmission fluid."

I got a coffee noser when I read that! I change tranny oil in my pickup more than that, & it's a manual...

Under "special service conditions," trailer towing, roof rack, dusty, taxi or delivery, that interval is 30000 mile / 48000 km. That seems a little more realistic.

GK

• 2 months later...

Thanks for all the tips guys. Have had some occasional hard shifts on my 2014 and hoping synthetic change over will help!

Also FYI anyone looking to do the same, Advanced auto has Castrol Transmax  Full Synthetic Multi Vehicle on sale for $5/qt, half off ?

Edited by doitdub

It's too bad you can't get your Transit Connect custom tuned, and be able to adjust the shifting. Custom Tuning made a big difference in my old 5.0. And with my pickup, it's like night and day.  It seems like the factory tune leaves a lot on the table. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/25/2016 at 6:00 AM, G B L said:

The hardest part of this operation will be getting the TC Jacked up. Should be almost level . 

Trans Drain Plug Small.jpg ] Trans fill vent General Location Small.jpg Trans Vent Cap 1Small.jpg

On 11/20/2017 at 4:05 PM, Beta Don said:

I did it with the front wheels on ramps

I jacked up the back end so it was level with the front

This is the reason that I bought 4 UniJacks.  1 under each jack point.

There is a protest every day at my front door.  But that is part of Life In The Big City.  Don't even ask about the price per square foot.  But when you are directly across the street from Immigration and Customs Enforcement, it is the safest block in town.  Cops from every agency on the West Coast, including the dental school police from 2 hours away, are assigned on loan for security.  And there is always an airship hovering.  The Feds occupy several of the apartments in the building......some for surveillance vantage paints, a few probably are used as sniper nest, and a bunch of them have bunks & showers for the cops that live too far to go home everyday.  The other day, one of them mentioned that he may want to borrow some tools, so that he could at least do an oil change & rotate the tires, before he drives hundreds of miles back home.  

This is the view from my unit.IMG_20180222_143216.thumb.jpg.64b7c1ee7b17c43cb72e9d7e3ef8a1ae.jpgKIMG1533.thumb.JPG.9542de1aea9d644dd42ad8f0f2b0c84c.JPG

KIMG1632.JPG

KIMG1633.JPG

KIMG1630.JPG

KIMG1631.JPG