Ford Transit Connect Forum

Operation Adventure Transit

Will,

Your a gentlemen and a scholar. Make sure you post your build on here, I'm looking forward to see what a former Subie owner can do to transform one of these things!

Haha I certainly will. I am still in the planning stages. I will be driving cross country with it in a month and must be able to live and surf out of it for at least 2 weeks while carrier 250lbs of my camera gear, should be interesting. I am ordering the insulation as well as the same light setup you have tomorrow.

I will keep you posted man!!

Do you think you could have gone any larger with the tires?

215 or 225/70

How are they performing so far?

I am a cabinet installer and am packed full of tools, sometimes the jobsite access is not so nice.

I have just checked my Kumhos, they are 25.5 inches in Diameter.

I have seven inches clearance at the valence and 3 inches at the front wheel well.

The 205 Geolanders spec out at 26.5 inches

The 215 specs out at 27 inches, I think that is about the max before rubbing would occur during steering.

Also from where did you order your adjustable coilovers.

I like these, they look very interesting.

Edited by Old Country Woodworks

Hey man,

I couldn't believe when I first saw this. I myself just picked up a transit last week to replace my lowered wrx so I could fit more surfboards/bikes/cameras in as well. Basically I think I will be following what you have done almost exactly except I am insulating it along with adding a bed & lots of storage.

Good luck with the build!

-Will

Big change in your ride :) Fast WRX to slow going Transit. Soon after I got the Transit, I pulled up to a buddy at a light. He was in his worked Ford GT (700hp). He shouted over "What are you doing in THAT?!?!" I replyed "You have the fastest Ford, so I had to get the slowest"

Btw, I unload the tools and load the Transit with Kiteboarding gear when the wind blows. Makes a nice warm changing locker too. Surf on!

Edited by Jaymz

Haha yeah it was quite the change. I had to drive my wrx last night to the persons house I sold it to and the difference from driving a 138 hp van to my old 320 hp subaru was insane. btw Bikesnbreakdowns, I got the stereo all hooked up yesterday but still cant get the hella lights to work, where did you attach the one cord that goes to the high beams?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Haha yeah it was quite the change. I had to drive my wrx last night to the persons house I sold it to and the difference from driving a 138 hp van to my old 320 hp subaru was insane. btw Bikesnbreakdowns, I got the stereo all hooked up yesterday but still cant get the hella lights to work, where did you attach the one cord that goes to the high beams?

I just hooked a switch into the interior.

any updates on the Project Adventure Transit ?

It was looking pretty promising and I was thinking of doing something similar myself.

The Transit has been doing well! It would be really difficult to lift. FSWORKSTRANSIT welded up a spacer to get a 2in lift. I haven't figured out another way to get the front end up yet

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Bikesnbreakdowns,

Great job so far. This is a very interesting thread for me.

Although I don't have a TC yet, I have aspirations to take the van down to Baja for some windsurfing/surfing trips a few times a year.

My biggest concern is how the van will handle once I get off Highway 1. One coastal location is about 38 miles offroad with your typical dirt/sand/rock road issues.

I was going to start a thread asking if others have made their TC more offroad capable, but it looks like you've already gone down that road so I'll jump on here if you don't mind.

The ground clearance on the 2014 Van - LWB is 6". Not that much. How best to increase this if possible? preferrable adjustable so for everyday driving it's lower and you can adjust it higher for offroad needs. Tied to this is shocks. Don't think the stock shocks can handle the high heat generated by lots of washboard and pitted roads. I'd be driving slow but it's still a concern. It's not the place to have a vehicle breakdown.

I think you've answered the offroad tire question. Sweet looking tires you picked. The stock tires would get chewed up pretty quickly.

Appreciate the input.

Thanks

Edited by windguy

• 8 months later...

Mission 3- Operation Road Less Traveled.

My battle with creating a Lifted Ford Transit.

When I purchased the van I knew lifting the Transit would be difficult. Many people lower their Transit, which looks great, but I've been down that road before; I decided to take the road less traveled. I previously had a Subaru that was lowered, making it difficult to go on road trips and off road. The Transit only has and inch less ground clearance then a Ranger See Transit vs. Ranger. So I figured a 1inch lift wouldn't be too extreme. I decided to start with the front to see if I could level out the front and rear end of the vehicle.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There were three options that could work.

1) Strut spacers, AKA Saggy Butt spacers in the Subaru community.

A spacer is placed on top of the strut tophat raising the vehicle

2) Spring Spacers

A spacer is placed on top of the spring raising the vehicle

3) Coilovers or Coilover Sleeves

Such as Ground Control

May explore an à la carte kit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before shots:

(Front)

7" clearance on front bumper

3.5" of fender / wheel gap

6676524391_5f9fc45d62_z.jpg

6676516065_ac7653d79c_z.jpg

6752219017_d58d65d08c_z.jpg

After shots:

(Tires)

8" clearance on front bumper ( +1")

2.75" of fender / wheel gap (-.5")

6759131415_f47ed6ef5d_z.jpg

6759132149_ac9a7405c6_z.jpg

First Transit Connect with All Terrians?

205 / 70 R15 Yokohama Geolander A /T installed on the Transit Connect

6752221591_d6a070a769_z.jpg

I'll keep this forum updated on the progress of Operation: Adventure Transit.

Were you able to figure out how to lift it without any complications? If so, what was the best option?

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Been following your post as I want to do similar mods.

I added the small silver UK center caps over black wheels (looks like a police vehicle).

Also bought a Folding Front Passenger Seat from Germany (non USA option). Folds flat and level with rear deck so you can haul long items.

How does your TC drive with the larger tires?

@Lost, the folding seat serms like it will work fine and adds a lot of camping space. Euro TCs dont have as many sensors as we do so I need to add a inline resistor at the seat harness to fool the computer. Because of more than one friend overseas I ended up with 2 right seats but Craigslist can sort that out.