Ford Transit Connect Forum

To combat road noise

LnnyRi

When I first got my Transit, I noticed the road noise on the OEM tires were awful and I could feel every rock on the road. I installed Goodyear 15" Comfortred tires and now it is a comfortable ride and the road noise disapeared. I also upgraded the 2 front speakers and am very happy with the vehicle now.

• 6 years later...

LnnyRi,

I just purchased a TC XLT 2016 8 days ago from Carmax . 20,500 miles. I am now noticing a low rumbling sound at 25 miles per hour and below most certainly coming from the rear like right over the back axle area. It almost seems like a wheel bearing issue. It is VERY DISTURBING, I cannot shake it now that I am aware of it. Was your issue coming from the back of the wagon like mine? I have Conti tires OEM.  Why does this show up now, it was not there when I test drove it. UGH! Further info is that I have removed both rows of seats completely to turn it into a contractor van. I have a heavy carpet over the OEM carpet plus a lot of painting gear in there so it not an empty reverberating space. any thoughts? Thx, Steven.

18 hours ago, frisky said:

LnnyRi,

I just purchased a TC XLT 2016 8 days ago from Carmax . 20,500 miles. I am now noticing a low rumbling sound at 25 miles per hour and below most certainly coming from the rear like right over the back axle area. It almost seems like a wheel bearing issue. It is VERY DISTURBING, I cannot shake it now that I am aware of it. Was your issue coming from the back of the wagon like mine? I have Conti tires OEM.  Why does this show up now, it was not there when I test drove it. UGH! Further info is that I have removed both rows of seats completely to turn it into a contractor van. I have a heavy carpet over the OEM carpet plus a lot of painting gear in there so it not an empty reverberating space. any thoughts? Thx, Steven.

Symptoms that you're describing sounds almost identical to a new 1996 Chevy cargo van we once had. Turns out it WAS a wheel bearing. Sorry if I'm harshing your mellow, you should probably get it checked out as soon as you can. Ask about the "lemon law". I'm not sure under what conditions it rules but it may be worth your while.

It's front wheel drive, don't make it difficult.  Jack it up just enough to clear the tire.  Spin the wheel and listen for bearing noise.  Grab the wheel and try to "wiggle" it.  If it clicks on the bearings, you'll here it.  If you don't hear anything, then it's likely you don't have bearings failing.

Most shops will do a quick check like that for free, or for a minor fee, if you don't feel qualified to check it yourself.

Edited by Mike Chell

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all for your responses, very helpful insites however it turns out the low rumbling that occurs is dependant on the actual composition of the asphalt that I am cruising over. I have found SO MUCH variation due to road condition! It is like NIGHT & DAY, if the road is smooth I sail quietly. If not, RUMBLE CITY!  Anyway thank you! I will figure this out, I LUV my transit. I am going to post tonight a HUGE question about rear tail light assemblies.  Why the hell do some transit connects have an "upper red/white" reflective assembly instead of the stock black insert? Making me nuts!  My dealer is clueless...  saw one on the highway yesterday in Chicago...

IMG_2164.JPG

2017-ford-transit-connect-titanium-mini-mpv-taillight.png

800px-Ford_Tourneo_Connect_-_Mondial_de_l'Automobile_de_Paris_2012_-_004.jpg

4 hours ago, frisky said:

I am going to post tonight a HUGE question about rear tail light assemblies.  Why the hell do some transit connects have an "upper red/white" reflective assembly instead of the stock black insert? Making me nuts!  My dealer is clueless...  saw one on the highway yesterday in Chicago...

IMG_2164.JPG

2017-ford-transit-connect-titanium-mini-mpv-taillight.png

800px-Ford_Tourneo_Connect_-_Mondial_de_l'Automobile_de_Paris_2012_-_004.jpg

Trim level.  The more you spend, the more "bling" you get.  Sort of like hubcaps over steel wheels, and rims.  You pay more money, you get Ford Sync, instead of the AM/FM radio..  You spend more, you get the fog lights, instead of the blank plastic bumper filler.     Notice how in your photos, one car has black plastic bumpers and trim, and the other car has paint to match the body?