Ford Transit Connect Forum

converting a transit for camping

roadlover

I am pondering buying one or these to convert. Have been looking for a used VW Van/camper, since 191 they are all used, too many miles and size limitations,way over valued for illogical reasons, but with a popup you can stand in them.

Is there somenone out there who has done this and had good results, what challenges. I am a woodworker so can build anything to go inside.

thanks, Roadlover

• 1 month later...

I am pondering buying one or these to convert. Have been looking for a used VW Van/camper, since 191 they are all used, too many miles and size limitations,way over valued for illogical reasons, but with a popup you can stand in them.

Is there somenone out there who has done this and had good results, what challenges. I am a woodworker so can build anything to go inside.

thanks, Roadlover

Im also considering a purchase for this reason. Two reasons I havent already made a purchase is because I havent seen any tops "popped." I would like to know that is possible before I make a purchase, that head room will make a world of difference. Second, I am very interested in the CNG/LGP bi-fuel option. It would be great to use the CNG around town and as a back up when traveling long distances. Hopefully you get some responses.

P

I camp in my T.C. but without a pop-up. I am afraid the corrugations on the roof would make any after market installation a problem. I'd like to put a vent up there.

I also looked at old VW buses. They are just so simple and look like a lot of fun. You are right though about the prices being beyond belief. They are all very well used also and most I've seen suffer extensive rust in the sub-frame area.

• 1 month later...

thanks, Roadlover

No pop-ups but there are these

Edited by Bikesnbreakdowns

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Left Hawaii a little over a year ago to travel the mainland, Yes many Hawaiians would love to get off Gilligans Island, as long as we can go home. have lived on and off in my Forf transit, I have a bed, 12 vot electrtic, small toliet, its comfy, but when supplemented with campgrounds occasional motel, it has been an adventure, I could write a book about.. With blackout windows the Ford Transit Connect is the most inconspicous RV/camper in a parking lot. Really helpful when I stay in public parking lot on the beach that dont allow over nite camping. I built my own bunk, shelves, and installed 12 volt system using transit connect R/V conversion plans from diy conversons.com, needed some modifications, but overall there small rv diy plans saved me lots of money and time, no sense reinventing wheel. Hope this helps. aloha

There seem to be two different approaches to a Trans Conn camper. Some like built-in cabinetry and others prefer something less elaborate. which can be added and removed at a moments notice. I guess it depends upon how often one camps and other uses the vehicle is put to.

• 2 years later...