Ford Transit Connect Forum

Ok , so I just did my first night drive in the xlt and the standard headlights were not powerfull enough. I had to drive with the brights on to see the road. the standard headlights dangerously did not illuminate the road enough. Any suggestions for new bulbs to replace the stock ones?

thanks

J

I find that the lights are very bright. Are you sure you the headlights were on and not the daytime running lights?

My previous van (GM) had auto lights and I never had to turn them on. The transit van has manual lights which is one of many things I have had to get used to.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok, you were definitely right about just having the running lights on. The regular lights on this car are very bright! On coming traffic keeps flashing their brights at me. HAha.

Does your Transit Connect have the factory DRL Option? If so, you should find that the lights are every bit as bright as the headlamps on in their normal position. In fact, because both of my other vehicles have automatic headlamp controls, turning-on my headlamps is something I've simply fallen out of the habit of doing, and I find myself having to explicitly remind myself to turn-on my TC's lights, because if I don't the DRLs are indistinguishable at night.

When I first drove the van at night the lights were bright but couldn't see far, so I decided to adjust the headlights up a bit. When I went to adjust them the screw was turned down to the lowest setting (couldn't go any lower) Adjusted them up about 2 turns and they are great now and no problems with on coming cars. Guess the dealers don't check headlight adjustments anymore.

Please post images of the adjustment steps!

Thanks,

Until then, blinding people daily.

:yahoo:

When I first drove the van at night the lights were bright but couldn't see far, so I decided to adjust the headlights up a bit. When I went to adjust them the screw was turned down to the lowest setting (couldn't go any lower) Adjusted them up about 2 turns and they are great now and no problems with on coming cars. Guess the dealers don't check headlight adjustments anymore.

• 6 months later...

Hello all. Sorry for the late response to this post, just got my TC XLT a couple of months ago. I have never had a vehicle that gets as many courtesy headlight flashes at night. Seems there are lots and lots of motorists who think I have the high beams on. I have noticed that the low beams illuminate tree tops and freeway overpass signs so I know there is something amiss. This is with no load in the vehicle other than the driver. Dealer service writer shrugs it off to "a new style of headlight that other motorists just aren't used to yet". I checked the owners manual, apparently there is no vertical adjusment capability, only horizontal. Any ideas? Thanks!

Hello all. Sorry for the late response to this post, just got my TC XLT a couple of months ago. I have never had a vehicle that gets as many courtesy headlight flashes at night. Seems there are lots and lots of motorists who think I have the high beams on. I have noticed that the low beams illuminate tree tops and freeway overpass signs so I know there is something amiss. This is with no load in the vehicle other than the driver. Dealer service writer shrugs it off to "a new style of headlight that other motorists just aren't used to yet". I checked the owners manual, apparently there is no vertical adjusment capability, only horizontal. Any ideas? Thanks!

Hello Newbie,

If you already have the answer, great...if not, open your hood and look above your headlight bezel toward the inside of the engine compartment...you will see a hole. Look down the hole and you will see a TORX adjustment screw. Turning counterclockwise should allow you to lower your lights to acceptable levels. I shined the lights on my garage door to level the lights, them took to the streets to see if anyone would flash me (with their highbeams)....no complaints since.

I've owned the TC since November.

• 5 months later...

Glad tto see I'm not the only one getting flashed from oncoming motorists all the time. Looks like it's time for and adjustment !

I turned mine down. So far no more complaining from oncoming traffic. I did use a TORX head to make the adjustment but the receiver head is not TORX. Mine turned down by turning the adjuster CLOCKWISE.