Ford Transit Connect Forum

New-ish Owner

JayW

Hi Everyone,

New Member.  Just wanted to introduce myself and show off my 2017 TC XLT.  It was purchased summer of 2017 so we've had it a year now and love it. 

Just got it's first oil change at 6500 miles.  I waited for the oil sensor to trip the warning which went against every bone in my body, but followed the manual.  I owned a '98 F150 that gave out a month before I bought the TC and changed the oil religiously.  Going from '98 to '17 has been quite the technological shock!  The truck was all creaks and bumps and now all I hear are beeps and boops!

Thanks for having me,

JW 

IMG_1749.JPG

IMG_2447.JPG

18 hours ago, JayW said:

Just got it's first oil change at 6500 miles.  I waited for the oil sensor to trip the warning which went against every bone in my body, but followed the manual. 

The oil life monitor algorithm goes against everything that I learned to believe in.  It leaves me with a lot of questions.  How can that computer possibly know what the true condition of my oil is, without any way of testing the oil?  I get the technology.  The computer is making an estimate, based upon my driving.  But it has no real way of testing a sample of the oil actually in the engine.  

Yet, I'm learning to adjust.  I keep telling myself not to prematurely change the oil.  I remind myself that the system was engineered by people who know more than I do. 

I am now using synthetic oil, and a larger filter, hoping that just in case the algorithm is not precise, the synthetic oil will be in better condition than the synthetic blend which the algorithm is based on. 

You almost have to have blind faith.   Almost like North Korean Juche.  If the engineers at Ford say so, they can't possibly be wrong.  You have to believe what they say.  Only problem is that they were wrong with the Mustang II.  And they were wrong with the Edsel.   And they were wrong with the Pinto.  And they were wrong with the Festiva.  And they were wrong with stopping sales of the Ford Ranger.  

18 hours ago, JayW said:
18 hours ago, JayW said:

I owned a '98 F150

I still drive an F-150.  Until the current generation, trucks were not designed for comfort.  Trucks were meant to be affordable tools, for getting the job done.  Even today's Jeeps are luxury vehicles in comparison to what Jeeps used to be.  

With all that luxury, the price has gone up on pickup trucks.  At today's prices, you could buy a much nicer car for the same money.  

How is your mileage?  Bet you're saving a fortune, maybe even enough to offset your new car payments.

Realise that Ford specs 6500 miles for the oil change because they know it's good for 7700 & they're allowing you a few miles to find  lube rack.

Don't mess around with dollar store oil, farty arty "liquid tuneup additive" and one-size-fits-all filter adaptors - 6500 miles will be fine. New engines don't have nearly the blow-by into the crankcase that the old bangers did. And new oils don't deteriorate under the pressures that converted old oils to varnish & sludge.

GK

It looks Ford recommends 5,000 to 10,000 miles,  or from 6 months to 1 year.  All depending on how you drive.  Your computer is suppose to figure out that you need an oil change within 500 miles, or 2 weeks.  On the Transit Connect, I have been patient, and just waiting for the light to turn on.  On the F-150, I do it every 5,000 miles, just because it's easier to track on the odometer.  Now that I'm driving the Transit Connect more, and the truck less, the F-150 will be yearly.  With the Honda, which doesn't get driven much, I do it every year.  My Harley, which I ride about as much as I drive the Honda, gets an oil change every year.  It all depends on your level of use.  

For the average guy, you probably can just wait until the light turns on.  

There is a lot of science for anyone who wants it.  Install a Fumoto valve, and send in oil samples for analysis.  Then you can decide on what type of oil works best, and for how long.  Read BobIsTheOilGuy.com and get more feedback than you need.  Start cutting your filters open, and inspect the inside to see what works best.

I'm just going to change my oil when the light turns on.  Unless I'm so uncomfortable with the computer that I decide to do it every 5,000 miles (like every car I've owned in my lifetime).  Even with full synthetic, I never went 10,000 miles.  Bad feeling in the pit of my stomach, knowing that I might need an change, and I'm not doing it.  But I know plenty of people who swear by K&N filter, full synthetic oil, and 10,000 oil changes.  Those guys also tell me that on my Harley, F-150, & Honda, I should just change my oil with my mileage, because the oil is still good after a year.  

F-107.jpg

F-107

M12-1.75 DRAIN VALVE WITH LEVER CLIP

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/other-products/oil-analysis-services/

AMSOIL provides oil analysis service options. By analyzing used engine oil, a qualified lab can detect mechanical problems your engine may have.

image.png.4d9613b7dcfe134c9ed1c19bab24a57a.png

https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/vehicle-features/engine/know-when-to-change-your-engine-oil.html

Know when to change your Engine Oil

2016-ford-transit-connect-s.png

HELP FOR YOUR:

2016 Transit Connect with SYNC® (basic system and SYNC with MyFord®)

Change

Vehicle Year201820172016 201520142013201220112010200920082007Vehicle ModelC-MAX EnergiC-MAX HybridEdgeEscapeExpeditionExplorerF-150F-250F-350F-450F-550FiestaFlexFocusFocus ElectricFusionFusion EnergiFusion HybridMustangTaurusTransitTransit Connect SYNC VersionSYNC® (basic system and SYNC with MyFord®) SYNC® with MyFord Touch®I'm not sure

knowwhentochangeyourengineoilprimarymediadesktop

Changing your engine oil and filter at appropriate intervals helps maintain your vehicle. Clean oil lubricates your engine, and is necessary to help protect your engine and ensure its proper function. Without this periodic service, the resulting metal-on-metal contact could cause severe damage.

Why regular oil changes are important

Regular oil and filter changes help your vehicle run with optimum efficiency. Use the proper grade of engine oil recommended in your Owner's Manual to improve your gas mileage by as much as 2%.*

How often should I change my oil?

Typical driving habits

In general, Ford Motor Company recommends the following oil change schedule:

• 2008 and newer model-year vehicles: every 7,500 miles or every six months, whichever comes first
  • 2007 and older model-year vehicles: every 5,000 miles or every six months, whichever comes first 

Less typical driving habits

Change your oil and filter more often if you have any of the following driving habits:

• Towing or carrying heavy loads
  • Idling extensively or driving at low speeds for long distances
  • Driving in dusty conditions
  • Driving off-road frequently
  • Using E85 fuel more than 50% of the time

When you drive regularly on rugged terrain or in unfavorable conditions, Ford Motor Company recommends an alternate oil change schedule:

• 2008 and newer model-year vehicles: every 5,000 miles or every six months, whichever comes first
  • 2007 and older model-year vehicles: every 3,000 miles or every three months, whichever comes first

Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor

IOLM is a feature found in your vehicle’s instrument cluster message center. IOLM notifies you at key oil change intervals by displaying alerts such as “Engine Oil Change Soon” or “Oil Change Required.” The system also alerts you when your fuel filters need maintenance or fuel pressure is low.

IOLM uses an algorithm to calculate your oil change intervals based on actual engine operating conditions. The system must be reset after each oil change. Not doing so will result in a premature “Oil Change Required” alert.

For specific IOLM applications, please refer to your Owner's Manual. IOLM is now available in the majority of 2011 and later model-year Ford vehicles.

knowwhentochangeyourengineoiltile0subtile4mediareferencedesktop

Synthetic oil and the IOLM

Ford engines have been tested using Motorcraft® Synthetic Blended Oils. If you use synthetic oil, it must meet Ford specifications for motor oil and the specific oil weight as indicated in your Owner’s Guide. Ford still recommends using the oil change service intervals as indicated by the IOLM.

*Sources: fueleconomy.gov, epa.gov.

My first oil change light displayed at 8,500 miles.  My second oil change light displayed at 16,000 miles, 11 months later.. I don't know if the 2nd light displayed because of the miles driven, or because the oil was almost a year old.

Check vehicle message center for

"CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON" at 5% oil life "OIL CHANGE REQUIRED" at 0% oil life

Edited by Fifty150

Welcome to the site.

This "oil life" issue seems to be a common discussion point ... and no one seems to be in agreement with the people who ACTUALLY work in the petroleum industry.  Since I am an instructor at a school where we teach people how to work on vehicles of all types, I've had the occasion to speak to visiting representatives from that industry.

Engine oil will last well over 10,000 miles in a good engine.  Even the "cheap stuff" from discount and department stores will last for more than 10,000 in a good engine.  It's the definition of "good engine" that determines how often you should change your oil.

New vehicle, less than 100,000 miles on it, with oil changes at the required intervals ... is still running within "break-in" tolerances.  Modern day engines, unlike the folklore, are NOT designed to fail.  They will outlast most other parts of the vehicle, if the lubrication system is maintained.

I would say, without reservation, that you can trust the "oil change indicator" on your new vehicles.

Agree with you Mike.  When I bought my Volt decided to just go with the oil life monitor in the car.  Has been very nice and worry free.  I did change the oil on my TC at 5,200 Miles as when I bought it it was a model year old and had been sitting around a while.  Only exception to the oils are the VW turbos I’ve had.  2 1.8t’s and 1 2.0 TSI, the 1.8t’s cooked almost any oil which said to me a poor design or undersized oil cooler.  The 2.0 TSI has been better about cooking the oil (sludging) but at 75,000 has three separate internal engine part failures which are all design related.  No engine codes thrown either.  Maybe it wasn’t designed to fail but was poorly designed :-)

When end I changed the oil in the TC it was so easy, the drain plug and filter were easy to reach.  Removing and replacing the under panel was also much better than on the VWs.  Love the way it fits into place and the screws and clips can be put back in place easily.  Rhino Ramps were a big help as well.  

10 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

My first oil change light displayed at 8,500 miles.  My second oil change light displayed at 16,000 miles, 11 months later.. I don't know if the 2nd light displayed because of the miles driven, or because the oil was almost a year old.

I suspect it's because of the mileage, but it could be that it's been in there for almost a year

We don't drive our TC that much  -  We have two electric Mitsubishi's and a 2017 Chevy Volt, so the TC is only used when we need to haul or tow something.  Mostly it gets used for vacations where we take our two Segways with us, as they don't fit well in the Volt.  My oil light is on now after on;y 5500 miles and I think that's because it's been a year  -  The oil is still as pretty and clean as the day I put it in there and it's Castrol Edge Extended Life Full Synthetic, which they say is good for 15,000 miles, so I'm not changing it any time soon.  If the car was a daily driver where it was making lots of short trips and/or sitting out in the elements, I would probably change it every year no matter the miles, but virtually ALL of those 5500 miles were done on long trips at freeway speeds

It will be interesting to see if my Volt wants an oil change after a year even though the engine will probably have very few miles on it  -  We'll see

Don

15 hours ago, Mike Chell said:

Modern day engines, unlike the folklore, are NOT designed to fail.  They will outlast most other parts of the vehicle, if the lubrication system is maintained.

Modern cars are, for the most part, engineered to perform better and last longer.  There are always exceptions.  Everyone I know who had a Saturn, new or used, suffered catastrophic failure.  Cooling system components, all of them....belts, hoses, fans, fan relays, thermostats, water pumps, radiators......kept breaking.  This, of course, caused overheating, and eventually the engine fails.  But none of that had anything to do with the oil, or the engine seizing by itself.  A guy I know had a BMW which had a faulty sensor.  The sensor failed to read the engine temperature, so the thermostat never opened.  Engine overheated, without the computer even knowing that the engine was overheating.....the sensor was bad.  

I would bet that almost every car sold today, has an engine that is capable of being maintained properly and lasting 100,000 miles.  Even Hyundai/Kia will go 100,000 miles.  

Too many of us are still reliving those bad car moments of yesteryear.....tapping the starter solenoid with a hammer to start the car, getting rear ended in a Pinto and the whole car blows up......I had a Mustang II that even with the climate control switches off, would heat up, the inside of the car smelled like coolant, and the windshield fogged up with steam.......drove it for years with the windows down, even in the rain.

11 hours ago, Beta Don said:

I suspect it's because of the mileage, but it could be that it's been in there for almost a year

I suspect the light was on because of calendar days.  First oil change indicator illuminated at 11 months.  Second display was 11 months after that.  Dealership service writer said that they recommend everyone come in after 5,000 miles, and that they would never advise anyone to drive 10,000 miles.  But then again, they depend on you doing more oil changes to make double the money.  

11 hours ago, Beta Don said:

My oil light is on now after on;y 5500 miles and I think that's because it's been a year  -  The oil is still as pretty and clean as the day I put it in there and it's Castrol Edge Extended Life Full Synthetic, which they say is good for 15,000 miles, so I'm not changing it any time soon. 

Some people believe that once you "crack the seal", oil begins to degrade.  Within a year, the lubrication and protection qualities are suppose to have diminished to a point where you do need to change the oil, even though it looks and smells clean.  

I really don't know what to believe about that.  I've had cars that weren't driven daily, parked on the street, and only moved 1 or 2 times a week, no more than 1/4 mile.  Longest I went between oil changes was 2 years.  Nothing bad happened.