Ford Transit Connect Forum

How are you guys running wire through the firewall

I want to install some lights on my front bumper but I don’t see any easy access point to run the wires through the fire wall to wire up a switch. If you have any pics how you guys ran your wires I’d really appreciate it 

There is a pass through from the engine bay at the base of the A pillar. You can access it by removing the A pillar trim and/or the outside black triangular trim piece in front of the mirrors. Here's a screenshot of the wiring instructions from the trailer tow wiring kit that shows the Ford suggested routing of the power wire from the battery back towards the tow module mounted in the rear. Here is also a photo of where this wiring is coming through on my 2015 TC Wagon when I added some split loom tubing to the power wire for extra protection.

Trailer Power Routing 1.jpg

Trailer Power Routing 2.jpg

Here's the link for the entire pdf for the trailer wiring install instructions if you need it. This covers multiple vehicles, the Transit Connect section starts on page 20 of 50. It shows you where and how to remove various trim pieces also.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/ford_content/catalog/accessory_files/Trailer_Harness_1_28_15v2.pdf

Edited by DonShockley

With the door open, the little plastic exterior trim piece comes right off with a trim removal tool.  

With the door open, you can also ease out the door trim, which will allow you access to the A-pillar interior trim.  

The only issue with lights along the bumper is worrying about them being knocked off by people parallel parking by braille, as they back into your bumper.

What kind of lights are you planning on installing.  How are you mounting them?  Do you have enough access in the mounting location to fasten the nut onto the bolt?

Not a very good solution, but I bought one of those light bar mounts that attaches to the license plate.  And since I was already running wires, and the plastic trim was removed, I added side markers to the circuit.  

image.thumb.png.aae3f0da4dab9caff83d73ae07a29bec.pngimage.thumb.png.c048394d9374b0758a409f0009a920e7.pngKIMG1341.JPG.43d8e68ca7af2fc01a0b1c6079b33311.JPGKIMG1020.JPG.48a96305602f3310ea4216ddf4ab6c1a.JPGKIMG1334.JPG.8a1a48181af06f5e50feb211c33a5bdf.JPG