Ford Transit Connect Forum

2012 Connect Back Door Hinges

I have recently bought 2 Connects for my business and I love them but I'm having issues with a broken passenger side back door lower hinge. My other van has normal style hinges and this one has a weird, double, 270 degree hinge or something? Can I just replace both hinges on that door with normal ones and are the European style ones the same?

Thanks

You bought a used van in commercial service for 6 years.  Who know what kind of abuse those vans went through.  From what I have seen, once those doors are open, they take a lot of abuse.  You may not want to think about how the van has been "nudged" with forklifts.  Or when guys drive around with the doors open, as they try to back them up against loading docks designed for trucks.  Not to mention when people load something a little too big, and they either try to slam that door close, or they drive around with the door held in place with bungee cords, straps, or rope.  Ever seen a little van with one door open, the rear passenger side door, and building material such as lumber and pipe hanging out?  

That hinge is designed so that the door can be opened wider for material handling.  In theory, that will prevent a lot of the abuse.  But it still happens.  

You should replace with the OEM hinge.  If you don't abuse it, then you will be okay.

The stock hinges are made to stop the doors at around 90 degrees. You'll see a yellow button on the inside about mid point between the hinges - press that, and it releases the stop catch and allows you to swing the doors completely out to the side. something like 270 degrees ...

camper-mods-01.jpg

Sounds like somebody might have modded the hinges to bypass that first stop? Maybe pull the inside door panel and check for disconnected linkage?

PS - both rear doors in the pic are opened to the first stop ...

Edited by sKiZo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I have a transit connect LR58TUH is it 

possible to change the hinges on my rear 

doors or do I need to change the whole door as I can only see bolts on connection to van but none on the door looks welded on ? Really appreciate someone to answer 

as its a freezer van please any reply would be greatly appreciated