Ford Transit Connect Forum

Choosing auto instead

Hello,

i am thinking to order a new TC van, the L2 but iam  undecided as to what transmission to choose.I have experience with both, auto or manual but i prefer the automatic as my job is mostly inside the city and iam in a certain age .What worries me is the powershift of ford.I was reading and watching online some articles/youtube clips on the subject  and most of them saying the powershift may have some big issues.Most are from 2012-16 so perhaps the -17 to 18 ford fixed the problems.  

My current car is a Fiat van Fiorino 2008 manual.I never had a ford before so i would like your opinion on the matter.

Michael

Rent one for a few months.  Drive it everywhere.  Take a road trip.  See if you like the handling, parking characteristics, power, mileage, et cetera.  Go somewhere hot where you will know if the air conditioning is to your liking.  Make sure that you insure it properly.  Then crash it to see if it is safe.

While I love a good romp around the track (Or tight back roads) with a manual transmission ... for everyday transport, I'll take an automatic.  There's enough to worry about, on today's roads, without the added distraction of shifting.  Even if it's "second nature", it's still just more things you're mind has to calculate.

Given the small percentage of (true) complaints ... It's a rare customer who actually experiences a problem.

See you are in Europe where everyone has a manual.  Autos are nice and my US TC engine and auto work very well together.  A couple of months ago I had a rental Ford C-Max Grand with an auto in Italy and Monaco.  It was one of those with a clutch not a torque converter.  It worked very well but was a bit worrisome in Monaco with the steep roads and tight turns.  They don’t like to slowly creep along.  Someone I know had a Fiat 500L with a similar transmission and they managed to overheat the clutch enough to cause a warning on the dash to go off and had to pull over and let it cool.  If you are good with a manual and seems like most Europeans are, then I’d go with the manual.

I agree the VW DSG seems like a nice transmission but the motor that’s connected to it is a different story.  My experience with VW’s has lead me to believe they don’t know how to build a reliable turbo motor or they let the customers debug their designs.

On 7/2/2018 at 6:42 AM, mrtn said:

Wait for the 2019 model, should be available soon. It will have the new 8-speed automatic. 

I am with you, The mileage difference is small and the drive-ability of the Auto is my prefference. 

9 minutes ago, PhotoAl said:

Ford C-Max Grand with an auto in Italy and Monaco.  It was one of those with a clutch not a torque converter.  It worked very well but was a bit worrisome in Monaco with the steep roads and tight turns.  They don’t like to slowly creep along.

That was the PowerShift robot box. It’s not good at all. The new 8-speed should be the new regular automatic.

@FiorinotoFord, do you know if there will also be the new 2.0 Ecoboost available?

5 hours ago, FiorinotoFord said:

Usually here is common to lower the price 1k from the sticker price.More discount than that you must buy 2 cars or more.

Interesting to hear about how cars are bought and sold in different parts of the world.  

Where I live, those who do not know, will pay the window sticker.  Some people will wait until they see an advertised "sale price".  The rest of us will haggle, bargain, and argue with the salesman.  

None of this is right.  Nobody should pay more, just because the salesman wants more of your money.  Cars should be priced fairly, and the average person should not feel like they are being cheated.